Windows 10: can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

Discus and support can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently lost a Dell Windows XP 64bit laptop to a dead motherboard; however, my hard drive was fine and the computer was 8 years old, so rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AdgeTimick, Aug 29, 2019.

1. can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

I recently lost a Dell Windows XP 64bit laptop to a dead motherboard; however, my hard drive was fine and the computer was 8 years old, so rather than replacing a laptop motherboard (and possibly other components), I upgraded to an HP Spectre X360 15 laptop with Windows 10 Pro. My problem arose when I tried moving files from my old hard drive to my new computer, and I noticed upon loading up my old iTunes Library that certain songs weren't playing. Went to the File Explorer and saw that there was no detailed information (Artist, Title, Year, etc. - see screenshot below) for these files despite that information existing on the old hard drive. I'm thinking I need to take ownership of some directories and allow full access permissions, but I don't know that this is the definite solution to my problem, so I came here first looking for some guidance. If someone could help me figure this out, I would greatly appreciate it.

can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died [​IMG]

:)

AdgeTimick, Aug 29, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 29, 2019
  3. Need some help with moving HDD

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not really knowledgeable with this.

I'm trying to hook up my old harddrive (from my old AGP) onto my new computer.

The reason for this is because there are files that I need from that harddrive.

Would someone care to explain how can I do this step by step, would be appreciated.

There is still Windows XP os installed on that hdd and what not, would that be a problem?

Thanks *Toast :toast:

4eVaCrazIe, Aug 29, 2019
  4. Chasbob Win User

can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

1. can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died - Similar Threads - can't access files

2. HDD is about to die

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD is about to die: I wont be able to tell which one it is because I have 2 or 3 of the same drive, is it ok to keep it plugged in once it dies though? HD Sentinel reports it has Current health: 18 % Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring HITACHI HDT721010SLA360 138968
  3. I can't Access my HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't Access my HDD: I'm pretty new to the whole computer and laptop world as this is my first one so keep that in mind. So first off I'm trying to install a new internal SSD and so I found out that I would need to clone the original SSD. So after I did that I was looking at my files and saw...
  4. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...
  5. Lost system reserved partition having moved from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost system reserved partition having moved from HDD to SSD: I appear to have lost system reserved partition having moved from HDD to SSD and have now removed it from my old HDD, i migrated my drive over to the new SSD using the the provided tool from Samsung. Once the migration was complete, I noticed that the new drive did not have...
  6. File can't delete on HDD..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File can't delete on HDD..?: Hi All I have few files on my Toshiba ext. HDD that don't seem to able to delete .. Any ideas..? I have signed out , restart tha laptop .. Thanks [img] 121606
  7. Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10: I have a windows 7 I've had for at least 8 years and when Win 10 came around, I took the free upgrade. But my old Pc finally died on me and I bought myself a ryzen 5 2600 and everything in order to get back at it. But now I cant seem to reactivate windows 10. I really don't...
  8. move windows os from ssd to hdd

move windows os from ssd to hdd: How to move windows os from ssd to hdd. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-os-from-ssd-to-hdd/bb3498ed-d913-4da0-b429-c86bfcd6ad21
  9. How to open EFS encrypted files on an HDD that came from Windows XP?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to open EFS encrypted files on an HDD that came from Windows XP?: I had my old Windows XP machine die. I am now setting up a new desktop that came with Windows 10 Pro. The old system had 2 hard drives: c: - system and d: - data. The main hard drive unexpected died, so I didn't have time to prepare for a migration. When I plug in the data...
  10. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...