Windows 10: can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

Discus and support can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently lost a Dell Windows XP 64bit laptop to a dead motherboard; however, my hard drive was fine and the computer was 8 years old, so rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AdgeTimick, Aug 29, 2019.

1. can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

I recently lost a Dell Windows XP 64bit laptop to a dead motherboard; however, my hard drive was fine and the computer was 8 years old, so rather than replacing a laptop motherboard (and possibly other components), I upgraded to an HP Spectre X360 15 laptop with Windows 10 Pro. My problem arose when I tried moving files from my old hard drive to my new computer, and I noticed upon loading up my old iTunes Library that certain songs weren't playing. Went to the File Explorer and saw that there was no detailed information (Artist, Title, Year, etc. - see screenshot below) for these files despite that information existing on the old hard drive. I'm thinking I need to take ownership of some directories and allow full access permissions, but I don't know that this is the definite solution to my problem, so I came here first looking for some guidance. If someone could help me figure this out, I would greatly appreciate it.

can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died [​IMG]

:)

AdgeTimick, Aug 29, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 29, 2019
  3. Need some help with moving HDD

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not really knowledgeable with this.

I'm trying to hook up my old harddrive (from my old AGP) onto my new computer.

The reason for this is because there are files that I need from that harddrive.

Would someone care to explain how can I do this step by step, would be appreciated.

There is still Windows XP os installed on that hdd and what not, would that be a problem?

Thanks *Toast :toast:

4eVaCrazIe, Aug 29, 2019
  4. Chasbob Win User

can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

1. can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died - Similar Threads - can't access files

2. Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.: I started my laptop as usual but I am unable to see my secondary HDD, only primary system C drive is accessible. When I open disk management only the C drive is shown but not the HDD D drive1std Pic. I am getting this notification when I open a folder from "quick access" that...
  3. Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.: I started my laptop as usual but I am unable to see my secondary HDD, only primary system C drive is accessible. When I open disk management only the C drive is shown but not the HDD D drive1std Pic. I am getting this notification when I open a folder from "quick access" that...
  4. Accessing Files from Bitlocked HDD

Accessing Files from Bitlocked HDD: Hello,My old laptop HDD is bitlocked and i cant seem to find the key anywhere. This happened after I switched my old laptop HDD to my new Dell G5 laptop and then back to the old laptop. Unfortunatly, there is no sign of the key anywhere and I have a lot of university files...
  5. Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it

Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it: I want to move my windows from an hdd to an ssd. The ssd already has stuff on it, but there is enough space for windows on it. However, everywhere ive looked it uses examples of the ssd being wiped. Do I have to delete all the stuff on it for it to work? And if I do, can I...
  6. "Dying" HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Dying" HDD: So, I have been getting this error at bottom and whenever I boot, I get this error and a beep. I checked with multiple HDD Status programs but they all say just like 5 corrupted/bad sectors but I don't know if that's actually that bad, but when I boot into Windows, and I...
  7. Moving files from SSD to HDD

Moving files from SSD to HDD: I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one. I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way...
  8. File Permission Issue Moving File from XP to 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File Permission Issue Moving File from XP to 10: I have a Windows 10 pc Dell Inspiron and an old XP Dell 8400. I was moving my music files over from the XP to the 10. About 90% of them worked, but the other 10% failed with a message of not having administrator permission to move some of the files. There were a few...
  9. Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD: I moved my Windows 10 OS to my SSD via this guide: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/clean-install-of-windows-10-os-on-new-ssd-best/9186ae98-b2b4-4b7a-b3ff-0b053ce2d1c9 I don't want to format my HDD, and I thought i could...
  10. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...