Windows 10: Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network

Discus and support Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two laptops connected to the same wi-fi network, both have activated network discovery, and appear on the "Network " window in the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CristianHernández Pérez, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network

I have two laptops connected to the same wi-fi network, both have activated network discovery, and appear on the "Network " window in the file explorer, however, when trying to access to a computer it will only show "This folder is empty"This happens both ways, if I try from Desktop-EG5F32K or from INSPIRON-5567.

:)

CristianHernández Pérez, Jul 15, 2021
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Jul 15, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

@dk1971
    1. Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network [​IMG]
    2. Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jul 15, 2021
  4. Frogger Win User

Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network :)

Frogger, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network

1. Can't access files on a computer connected to the same network - Similar Threads - Can't access files

2. Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?: I have my first Windows 11 workstation and though I have all the file sharing settings correct, it is not able to connect to other workstations on the same network....
  3. Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?: I have my first Windows 11 workstation and though I have all the file sharing settings correct, it is not able to connect to other workstations on the same network....
  4. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  5. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  6. Can't connect two computers on same network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect two computers on same network: Hello.Ever since Microsoft in its ever infinite wisdom, because they think they know what we want got rid of the HOME NETWORK or whatever it was called, and was extremely easy to use, I haven't been able to connect my two computers on the same network. I've tried all the...
  7. Can't connect two computers on same network

Can't connect two computers on same network: Hello.Ever since Microsoft in its ever infinite wisdom, because they think they know what we want got rid of the HOME NETWORK or whatever it was called, and was extremely easy to use, I haven't been able to connect my two computers on the same network. I've tried all the...
  8. Can't access files on other network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access files on other network computers: I have four computers all attached to my home network. Until recently, I had been able to access documents across all my computers while attched to the home network. That has all disappeared. I can't even find the computers when I select Network in Windows Explorer. The...
  9. Can't access my files on Workgroup network computer

Can't access my files on Workgroup network computer: I just finished with your latest update and now when I click on the link to my external drive I get a pop-up that asks for my credentials?? WHAT CREDENTIALS?? I never set up a password to access my remote files. When I leave that field (password in the credentials dialog box)...
  10. Computer loses internet access when it connects to a network with the same name with a...

Computer loses internet access when it connects to a network with the same name with a...: My laptop loses connection to the internet whenever it suddenly and automatically changes it's connection to a similar internet network with the same name, but a number attached at the end. For example my network's name is "InternetConnection", but when I lose access to the...