Windows 10: Can't access files on desktop

Discus and support Can't access files on desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey! I've been trying to create some space on my computer and under storage it says that my desktop contains 70GB of files, however I only have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaniFormoso, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Can't access files on desktop

Hey!

I've been trying to create some space on my computer and under storage it says that my desktop contains 70GB of files, however I only have shortcuts and minor folders with pictures in them. Even when I go into the folder called desktop I cannot see what causes the excess of files.

How can I access the 70GB of alleged storage on said desktop?

Thanks,

Dani :

:)

DaniFormoso, Apr 7, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Apr 7, 2020
  3. karyeowl Win User
    Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Apr 7, 2020
  4. Can't access files on desktop

Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

Can't access files on desktop

1. Can't access files on desktop - Similar Threads - Can't access files

2. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access filed: - quick ? My husband has an HP laptop about 10yrs old it froze yesterday trying to log on, received " internal battery" message now he can't sign on. He bought a brand new HP laptop and now trying to figure out how to get his scan folder off old laptop? It's a new Windows11...
  3. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access filed: - quick ? My husband has an HP laptop about 10yrs old it froze yesterday trying to log on, received " internal battery" message now he can't sign on. He bought a brand new HP laptop and now trying to figure out how to get his scan folder off old laptop? It's a new Windows11...
  4. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Access Primary Desktop

Can't Access Primary Desktop: I am having an issue that prevents me from clicking my desktop icons and my taskbar on my primary display, I have two displays and the second one works fine. If I click on my desktop on the primary screen, it prevents me from interacting with anything on it, almost like there...
  6. Access to computer desktop and files.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Access to computer desktop and files.: Hi, My account is frozed on the image uploaded below. I have Windows version 10.0.18362.1 and need help accessing my files pass the screen with “choose an option” which are 4: Continue, use a device, troubleshoot, and turnoff. I have tried Dism, scan, restore, checkup...
  7. Can't access the shared files from my desktop?

Can't access the shared files from my desktop?: Why does my laptop say that I don't have permission to access the shared files from my desktop? It worked last week. It has worked for two decades but every once in a while it decides arbitrarily to pretend that the settings are wrong. But, since no settings are actually...
  8. Unable to access files on desktop

Unable to access files on desktop: Hello, I have this user that all most all of his files in this one folder on his desktop are locked. Can't open word docs, pdf's or powerpoint files. I wend thru a few steps that I found on line and was able to unlock a few by taking ownership of that folder. But not...
  9. can't access desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't access desktop: My computer was working absolutely fine yesterday. Went to turn it on this morning, took ages to get past the log in screen, then it just changed to a black screen, with a basic taskbar down the bottom that was flashing. I tried a few things with no success, then did a...
  10. Can't access remote laptop desktop

Can't access remote laptop desktop: I have a big tower computer with an ASUS mobo, and an ASUS U50f laptop, both machines running Win 10 Creators Pro, and successfully private-networked together wirelessly via a Linksys E1200 modem. I can run remote desktop on the laptop to access & use the tower, but not...