Windows 10: Can't access files to restore onto laptop

Discus and support Can't access files to restore onto laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Here is the sequence of events: 1 OneDrive inadvertently was deleted from my laptop on 4.2.20. 2 I thought that my external hard drive backed up all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Momandmore, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Can't access files to restore onto laptop

Here is the sequence of events:

1 OneDrive inadvertently was deleted from my laptop on 4.2.20.

2 I thought that my external hard drive backed up all files but I was wrong.

3 This morning it occurred to me that the files might be online via OneDrive.

4 I accessed OneDrive with my personal email and saw all of my documents.

5 Rather than download those immediately, I stupidly decided to correct an old email address that was previously associated with the OneDrive account and that I believe was my old user ID.

6 After that was done, when I logged onto One Drive with my personal account, the folders/photos/files were not there.

7 When I asked for a new password, using the old email address as a user ID, it said that ID doesn't exist.

I'm told that we cannot call OneDrive. I've sent in a request for help, but I'm wondering if anyone else has some ideas. PLEASE help.

:)

Momandmore, Apr 5, 2020

2. Can't access files restored from wd passport

I have looked at the numerous inquiries on this subject. Most are old and the suggestions do not coincide with the menu selections. So, I will try this.

• New computer HP pavillion
    • Windows 10
    • Backup files stored on wd passport
    • restored the files to the new pc
    • can't view, access,
    • message that I don't have permission
    • tried to change permission
    • did not work

problemnewpc, Apr 5, 2020
  3. karyeowl Win User
    Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Apr 5, 2020
  4. Erika Aro Win User

Can't access files to restore onto laptop

can't restore files to a new laptop using file history.

Hi John,

The path of the drive may differ from the new laptop to the old laptop. It depends on where you plugged in the external hard drive. At this point, we'd like to ask the following to assist you better:

• Was the hard drive before a storage drive only or a main hard drive of a computer?
    • What type of files were you trying to restore?
    • Can you please send screenshots of how you restore your files? Blur any personal information for your security.
    • To avoid repetition, can you provide us with all the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far?

Erika Aro, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

Can't access files to restore onto laptop

1. Can't access files to restore onto laptop - Similar Threads - Can't access files

2. Can't restore a file that is there?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore a file that is there?: A while back I made some changes to my pc and deleted my mums account. Today I found out that she had thousands of pictures on there and now I can't seem to get them back even though it says there is a file available. Any help is greatly appreciated....
  3. Can't restore a file that is there?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore a file that is there?: A while back I made some changes to my pc and deleted my mums account. Today I found out that she had thousands of pictures on there and now I can't seem to get them back even though it says there is a file available. Any help is greatly appreciated....
  4. Can't restore a file that is there?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  6. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  7. restore files onto a new computer with file history

8. Can't access files restored from wd passport

Can't access files restored from wd passport: I have looked at the numerous inquiries on this subject. Most are old and the suggestions do not coincide with the menu selections. So, I will try this. New computer HP pavillion Windows 10 Backup files stored on wd passport restored the files to the new pc can't view,...
  9. No access to restored files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No access to restored files: I had to replace my Surface Book under warranty with a exact same PC. I did a back up. When I did a restore I now dont have access to my local files (downloads, video, pictures folder etc) . Luckly my main files (from OneDrive) restored just fine but took HOURS to download...
  10. file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop

file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop: I have a file history created from a win8 laptop on a remote drive and want to ''restore'' this onto my new win 10 laptop. I'm currently signed in as the same user as per win 8. Opening "file history" and clicking, "I want to use a previous backup.....", displays this...