Windows 10: can't access folders after move them from partition C to another secured with bitlocker

Discus and support can't access folders after move them from partition C to another secured with bitlocker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello I moved folders from desktop to another partition in the hard , this partition secured by bitlocker in windows 10 . when I reinstall windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Research Man, Nov 14, 2019.

1. can't access folders after move them from partition C to another secured with bitlocker

Hello

I moved folders from desktop to another partition in the hard , this partition secured by bitlocker in windows 10 .

when I reinstall windows 10 I can't access these folders in this partition and can't move them again . and windows said I haven't permissions to access these folders .

note that : partition C wasn't secured by bitlocker .

and I have key was saved in txt file .

Thanks .

:)

Research Man, Nov 14, 2019
  2. Mithin_EJ Win User

How can delete a bad folder on external bitlocker hdd ?

Hi JClaude B,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Do you remember the BitLocker recovery key?
    2. What is the error message you are getting, while you are trying to delete the folder?

The files on a BitLocker encrypted storage device are secure and cannot be easily decrypted by any software. If someone would attempt to access the files, they will need the BitLocker recovery key.

I suggest you to decrypt the drive first, then take the ownership of the file and then delete the folder or file. Follow this article

Find my BitLocker recovery key
    , and check if that helps.

Steps: Taking ownership of a folder from explorer.

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.
    2. Right click on file or folder and select
      Properties from Context Menu.
    3. Click on Security tab.
    4. Click on Advanced button.
    5. Now click on Owner tab in Advanced Security Settings for User windows.
    6. Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list.
    7. Click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.
    8. Now select User/group and click apply and ok. Check
      “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.
    9. Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.
    10. Now Owner name must have changed.
    11. Then click Ok to exist from Properties windows.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Nov 14, 2019
  3. HBJ75 Win User
    BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot

Hi Bradford. Thanks for the response and link. I went through that but it seems to suggest that my system drive must also be BitLocker protected.

As I have written above I don't want to protect the system partition.

Here's what I would like to do :

1) Partition new Windows 10 Pro Hard disk into C: and D:

2) Move location of User Folders like "Documents", "Desktop", "My Pictures", "My Videos" etc to D: drive

3) Encrypt D: drive only using BitLocker

4) On boot, have the computer ask for BitLocker password to unlock/decrypt D: drive so that my
    User Folders like Documents, Desktop are accessible on login

5) The user name with which I will be logging in will have administrative privileges

Is the above scenario possible?

HBJ75, Nov 14, 2019
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

can't access folders after move them from partition C to another secured with bitlocker

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

can't access folders after move them from partition C to another secured with bitlocker

1. can't access folders after move them from partition C to another secured with bitlocker - Similar Threads - can't access folders

2. Moving folders from onedrive to c:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving folders from onedrive to c:/: Just recd new laptop with Win11. Do not like way MS has structured to dop my files under onedrive. Do not want Onedrive backup or files hidden deeply in file structure. I prefer files to be under c directory for easy access. Have been relocating to this drive. DOCUMENTS...
  3. after moving files from one external drive to another can not access them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    after moving files from one external drive to another can not access them: i have an external drive that i am owner of and have full permission on all files and drive. the drive is also setup to be shared. i have no problem accessing the files on the drive. the drive is close to being full. the drive is formated in exFAT. i guess i forgot to change...
  4. after moving files from one external drive to another can not access them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after moving files from one external drive to another can not access them: i have an external drive that i am owner of and have full permission on all files and drive. the drive is also setup to be shared. i have no problem accessing the files on the drive. the drive is close to being full. the drive is formated in exFAT. i guess i forgot to change...
  5. after moving files from one external drive to another can not access them

6. I can't move pictures to another folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't move pictures to another folder: I was trying to move some pictures to another folder, but there's no option to moveanymore. Why did Windows 11 drop the option to move files to another folder?Why do they keep doing this? I have some pictures in the wrong folder, and there's no optionto move them anymore. The...
  7. I can't move pictures to another folder

I can't move pictures to another folder: I was trying to move some pictures to another folder, but there's no option to moveanymore. Why did Windows 11 drop the option to move files to another folder?Why do they keep doing this? I have some pictures in the wrong folder, and there's no optionto move them anymore. The...
  8. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  9. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...
  10. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant access folders after move them from partition