Windows 10: Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready"

Discus and support Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, My SSD and external drive are fine but I can't fully access to my 1GB HDD content. I can open some folders but not the files inside. Other folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shenmue is life, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready"

Hi,

My SSD and external drive are fine but I can't fully access to my 1GB HDD content. I can open some folders but not the files inside. Other folders are impossible to open. When I can't open a folder or a file, I get this message "The device is not ready".

:)

Shenmue is life, Jun 6, 2020

2. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready"

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready"

1. Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready" - Similar Threads - Can't access HDD

2. The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yet: The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yetSo I was burning some files to a 50 GB rewritable 50 GB disk and during the process, win10 decides to remove the drive, I can still see the drive being accessed on the pc as the light is still blinking.Log Name: System...
  3. The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yet: The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yetSo I was burning some files to a 50 GB rewritable 50 GB disk and during the process, win10 decides to remove the drive, I can still see the drive being accessed on the pc as the light is still blinking.Log Name: System...
  4. The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 'The device is not ready' Error on external HDD

'The device is not ready' Error on external HDD: So just this morning, my Seagate external HDD started showing a 'The device is not ready' error when I try accessing specific folders or files. It worked fine yesterday and even works fine on a PC with I'm assuming is an old version of Windows 10. It hasn't been damaged...
  6. Got "The device is not ready" as message then my HDD disappeared

Got "The device is not ready" as message then my HDD disappeared: Hi, My internal HDD has disappeared after I rebooted my PC. Before I did, I couldn't access to the half of the folders on the root of the directory since some hours. Even if I managed to open the other half of folders, I could not open the files inside. Instead, I got this...
  7. Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared: Hi, My internal HDD has disappeared after I rebooted my PC. Before I did, I couldn't access to the half of the folders on the root of the directory since some hours. Even if I managed to open the other half of folders, I could not open the files inside. Instead, I got this...
  8. getting stuck at "getting files ready for installation" on the hdd but not the ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    getting stuck at "getting files ready for installation" on the hdd but not the ssd?: I have tried multiple times now to download windows 10 via usb stick to the ssd drive. I have done this with previous versions of windows with different usb`s and with the same ssd before with no issues. but this time it just stops at "getting files ready for installation"....
  9. device not ready error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    device not ready error: I am trying to install fonts (from dafont) that I have on my computer in my downloads folder. I am getting an error "device is not ready" and the fonts will not install. I have Windows 10. I was able to do this before so why can I not do it now?...
  10. Switching harddrives and Getting Devices Ready message

Switching harddrives and Getting Devices Ready message: Hello All I have a Thinkpad W530, which I love. I decided recently to get another used one just in case anything happens hardware-wise to the first one. Because I use this for freelance work, I want to be able to switch drives into the new one and keep working and figure...