Windows 10: Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available"

Discus and support Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, recently I'm having a hard time accessing a network mapped drive by name. Access by IP works just fine, by name rarely works, always gives us a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Space_2020, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available"

Hello, recently I'm having a hard time accessing a network mapped drive by name. Access by IP works just fine, by name rarely works, always gives us a error "The specified network name is no longer available".

I've managed to track down when it all started going wrong, and i it was after installing a update, Windows update KB4565503. No other drivers or software was installed, just the update. I've download every most recent driver from the manufacturers site and upgraded them. Didn't fixed anything

These computers are in a domain, which delivers the windows updates automatically, so, i don't really want to disable them. SMB is installed but i'm not sure if there is an issue with it

This looks like its a DNS problem, but if so, how is it possible that only some computers on this update are affected ?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance

Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available" 951e82ce-60c3-49e6-8896-6bb1c02c3039?upload=true.png

:)

Space_2020, Aug 7, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

“The specified network name is no longer available”

For a Windows 10 PC to be able to see a UNC resource of the form \\<device name>\<share name> then both devices should be in the same Workgroup and Network Discovery should be turned on. It may well be that when you reinstalled Windows 10 it was set to a default Workgroup name different from that of your router.

My router came pre-configured with a Workgroup of HOME. There are no user settings to change this, so all PC on my network (W10, W7, XP and on rare occasions W95) have to be set to be in the HOME Workgroup. They can all see each other's shares and a USB HDD shared by plugging it into the USB port on my router.

To check/change the Workgroup of a W10 system, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System and click 'Advanced system settings' (or just type Workgroup in the Search box). Look on the 'Computer name' tab.

For Network Discovery settings, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings

Bree, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Specified network name is no longer available

Hi peng.,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

Please check the different solutions that are specified in the link below that can address this specific issue.

https://appuals.com/fix-the-specified-network-n...

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/specified-networ...

Hope it helps.

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Abram Pinto, Aug 7, 2020
  4. JLOB Win User

Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available"

“The specified network name is no longer available”

Ed,

This gets curiouser and curiouser! The default gateway is 192.168.1.1. I CANNOT connect using that IP and the latest update. I reverted to my previous Win 10 build and can easily connect using the IP rather than the \\Shamrock-2. Of course, there’s no Cortana. I'm missing something somewhere.

Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available" [​IMG]

JLOB, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available"

1. Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available" - Similar Threads - Can't access mapped

2. The specified network name is no longer available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The specified network name is no longer available: My nas could not be connected this morning. During this time, I also used cmd to ping. The workstation and server services that are both available and checked are normal. The computer has also been restarted, but I hope you can help me solve the problem. Thank you...
  3. The specified network name is no longer available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The specified network name is no longer available: My nas could not be connected this morning. During this time, I also used cmd to ping. The workstation and server services that are both available and checked are normal. The computer has also been restarted, but I hope you can help me solve the problem. Thank you...
  4. The specified network name is no longer available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. network name no longer available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network name no longer available: I am being driven to distraction by the apparently random behavior of Windows 11 networking. I have a legacy NAS device that I can ping, but when I attempt to use net view, I get an error, if I try to access it using Win-key+R and type in the IP address, I get a message that...
  6. network name no longer available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network name no longer available: I am being driven to distraction by the apparently random behavior of Windows 11 networking. I have a legacy NAS device that I can ping, but when I attempt to use net view, I get an error, if I try to access it using Win-key+R and type in the IP address, I get a message that...
  7. Specified network name is no longer available

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Specified network name is no longer available: I use one Win10 PC as server to share files, and some Win10 PC as client to visit it. Other clients is ok, one client can not visit server by \\192.168.xxx.xxxserver ip with user and password set by "net use" command. the error is "Specified network name is no longer...
  8. specified network name invalid message

specified network name invalid message: lost the ability to network desktop with other laptops https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/specified-network-name-invalid-message/e5a81efc-f645-444f-8d69-ca011dbb4225
  9. The specified network provider name is invalid

The specified network provider name is invalid: My internet connection is working, everything is OK, but... I cannot share any folder on my PC. I haven't used sharing several months now, It was working perfect back then. *Huh The problem: [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] Some screens of current network...
  10. “The specified network name is no longer available”

“The specified network name is no longer available”: I have six systems in my home, five running Windows 10 with the Anniversary update and a sixth that just won’t take it yet, and is stuck with the original Win 10. All of these are somewhat networked together, along with several more that are not in our home. (I use Hamachi...