Windows 10: Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd !

Discus and support Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd ! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello Just few hours ago i stumbled across a problem when accessing my External HDD " it was working fine this morning" I tried connecting it on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/darkmau0703, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd !

Hello Just few hours ago i stumbled across a problem when accessing my External HDD " it was working fine this morning" I tried connecting it on a desktop computer and i got the same error " ... The drive is not accessible " I got dual boot on my internal SSD windows + Ubuntu . So i rebooted to Ubuntu to see if there's something wrong i was surprised to see that i can R/W anything from/to the hdd. So i went back to windows . And i couldn't access the drive again. I used Aiomi partition tool to remove the partition and recover it using Active ® Recovery software . Which worked fine. I tried to access the drive again and it didn't work then rebooted to Ubuntu and i was able to access my drive ! What's going on ! My mind is blown. Ps : it's not about filesystem format , because it's been 6 months since i formatted it to NTFS, besides it was working fine this morning on my 2 laptops and 1 desktop PC.

submitted by /u/darkmau0703
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/darkmau0703, Dec 19, 2019

2. External HDD Access Problem

External HDD appears in Settings/Devices/Connected Devices but not in File Explorer (Windows 10). I can't Browse the HDD.

Peter Niblett, Dec 19, 2019
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Dec 19, 2019
  4. Chasbob Win User

Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd !

Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd !

1. Can't access my External HDD on Windows But Ubuntu has no problems r/w on the same hdd ! - Similar Threads - Can't access External

2. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  3. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  4. How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?: I have ubuntu installed in my external hdd but windows is unable to read it not showing in thic pc. I used the tool provided in the answer to a similar question:...
  5. How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?: I have ubuntu installed in my external hdd but windows is unable to read it not showing in thic pc. I used the tool provided in the answer to a similar question:...
  6. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  7. external hdd problem

external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  8. Windows can't access external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't access external hdd: Hello So I use a western digital my passport external hdd and windows 10. Previously its been a bit finicky, I assumed its been the cable. Typically it works fine and I store all my media on it. Yesterday I plugged it into my Samsung Q60T TV for the first time, hoping to...
  9. No access to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to external HDD: Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite sending him/her a...
  10. Problem accessing my external harddisk Iomega HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem accessing my external harddisk Iomega HDD: My harddisk Iomega HDD seems to connect to a drive, and I see folders, but when I click on the folders, I can't access it. It seems a Windows 10 problem. Have it after the latest update. No problem on windows 7 This is the error I see in device manager: Device...