Windows 10: Can't access my old external drive after my purchase of my new computer with Windows 10....

Discus and support Can't access my old external drive after my purchase of my new computer with Windows 10.... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I find my old external drive? I have used it since the purchase of my new computer but can't seem to get Windows 10 to recognize it again. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Windows10Hatercd, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Can't access my old external drive after my purchase of my new computer with Windows 10....

How do I find my old external drive? I have used it since the purchase of my new computer but can't seem to get Windows 10 to recognize it again. I'm completely computer illiterate but have successfully used my computer for several business for 20+ years.

Thanks!!!!!

:)

Windows10Hatercd, Aug 28, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 28, 2019
  3. New computer purchased external DVD drive

I have a new computer and new external DVD drive, when I plug the DVD drive it is not recognized by the computer nor is the DVD in it recognized. I downloaded the VLC app but it is not working. I have purchased the Microsoft DVD app for another computer
    with Windows 10 and it is not working there either. I do not want to spend more money if this Microsoft Windows DVD player app is not going to work. I am so frustrated with the Microsoft changes, nothing seems to be working. I have spent a ton on money
    with their systems and it is a waste of time.

Jenny

JennySteger, Aug 28, 2019
  4. Can't access my old external drive after my purchase of my new computer with Windows 10....

Windows 10 cannot read drive from old computer

My windows 7 professional laptop died with a mother board failure. I have purchased a new Windows 10 home computer and removed the hard drive from my old computer. This drive had a hard drive password set on it.

I have placed the old hard drive into a USB drive caddy and plugged it into my new machine but it cannot be read.

It does not appear in File Explorer and but when I go into compute management the drive is shown as unallocated with no options for allocating a drive letter to it.

Any suggestions so that I can load all of my files from the old drive onto my new computer would be most welcome.

I did have all files backed up to an external drive but the software has not been upgraded to run on Windows 10.

SouthEssex, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

Can't access my old external drive after my purchase of my new computer with Windows 10....

1. Can't access my old external drive after my purchase of my new computer with Windows 10.... - Similar Threads - Can't access old

2. My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive: I've recently decided to use my Rioddas external DVD drive model number: BT638 on my Windows 11 laptop. However, when I plugged my external DVD drive in my laptop, the drive would power on, but the laptop doesn't recognize it. In fact, the DVD drive wouldn't show up in Device...
  3. My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive: I've recently decided to use my Rioddas external DVD drive model number: BT638 on my Windows 11 laptop. However, when I plugged my external DVD drive in my laptop, the drive would power on, but the laptop doesn't recognize it. In fact, the DVD drive wouldn't show up in Device...
  4. After reinstalling Windows 10 on my computer, I can't access my "old OS"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After reinstalling Windows 10 on my computer, I can't access my "old OS": This is a tricky situation, but I'll try my best to explain.For context: I have 2 drives, a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. All of my main files and W10 files were on my SDD and Arch now is on my HDD, leaving a partition of around 400GB where I installed another instance of W10 to...
  5. Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC

Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC: I have a new PC and have my old hard drive in a caddie. I can access all files except for those on my personal folder in Users. It must be protected somehow, but when I right-click and get into security settings and allow access, it still doesn't let me in. I downloaded a...
  6. Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .: Hope you guys can help Have just updated my old computer with a new M/B, GPU, CPU & Ram. Put in my old SSD which has win 10 installed with all my programs, when I went to boot up my computer it went straight to uefi bios & settings say there is no boot device, although it...
  7. Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.: Hello all. I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite. I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external hard drives which I needed to add storage space to help with Windows updates, on the notebook because it's got very limited...
  8. Access to an external drive on my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access to an external drive on my laptop: I don't use a login password on my laptop and I believe I need to become the administrator to access an external drive that is currently showing an "access denied" message. This is a second hand machine and I'm not the most computer savvy....
  9. New computer can't access old hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New computer can't access old hard drives: My old Asus laptop died last week, psu might be the issue. Anyway, decided to get a new laptop and just try to retrieve my info with an IDE/SATA adapter. Every time I connect up the old hard drive, the usual jingle chimes in to let me know I've connected something, but the...
  10. Can't access my computer

Can't access my computer: New computer, set up networking to all the other computers (4) on my network, now trying to map some locations on my computer, click on the computer name and nothing happens, it doesn't expand. Network discovery is turned on as well as file and print sharing. This computer...