Windows 10: Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN

Discus and support Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Please bear with me - this is a long post Recently I installed a new Synology NAS drive on my WiFi home LAN, configured as RAID1; it is seen by the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rabnud, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Rabnud Win User

Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN

Please bear with me - this is a long post

Recently I installed a new Synology NAS drive on my WiFi home LAN, configured as RAID1; it is seen by the router, and is deemed healthy. However, I have had great difficulty making it visible on and useful to the PCs on the LAN. After much online investigation I finally got my Win10 Pro ver 1909 PC to see the NAS in File Explorer; but I could not map the "shares" I created to the LAN or access them to read and write files through Explorer. I then found and applied these steps to "Ron", the first-named of several planned shares mapping it as network drive R:

In Regedit, delete if they exist two Registry keys for mapped drive R:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\R
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Map Network Drive MRU\R
    Close Regedit, remap share/drive R via Admin Command Prompt, as follows:
    net use r: \\NASname\Ron /user:SynAcct SynPW /Persistent:Yes
    where: NASname represents the name I assigned to the Synology NAS;
    SynAcct represents the Synology account name I created;
    SynPW represents the Synology account password I created.
    Reopen Regedit and add this value:
    HKEY_CURRENT VALUE_USER\Network\R the above net use command restored this key

"ProviderFlags" = DWord:00000001
    This works: The drive RonNASname R: is visible and fully read/write accessible in Explorer.

However, after rebooting RonNASname R: is still visible in Explorer,but is NOT read/write accessible! The persistence failed. I also tried:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.....\Map Network Drive MRU\R,
    added the value R REG_SZ \\NASname\Ron

Again, after reboot, drive/share R is visible, but not read/write accessible. Every attempt to access it fails and raises the dreaded "Enter Network Credentials" dialog box; and nothing I enter therein works. I have yet to find anywhere a clear, concise definition of "network credentials" and how to determine exactly what they are or need to be for my PC/LAN system and NAS-access situation.

How do I resolve this matter? What Windows settings and/or Registry adjustments will make the mapped NAS sharesalways visible and fully accessible on this and the other Win10 PCs on the WiFi LAN? I hope someone can guide me through this process and/or point me to links that clearly explain how to do it, because I am really stumped.

In my travels through the Internet in search of a solution, quite a few other people also seem to have this or a similar problem mapping and accessing network drives. Several strongly suggest that Windows has a problem that Microsoft needs to fix.

:)

Rabnud, Jan 2, 2021
  2. Sasqui Win User

Qnap TS-253 Pro NAS: Can't access from outside my LAN

I've got a Qnap TS-253 pro plugged into my ASUS RT-N66U router. I no problem accessing it when I'm connected to my LAN at my house, using the ASUS IP address http://192.168.x.x:8080.

Using the QNAP file utility I want to share a folder. So I right click share, and I have the options:
    For some reason, I cannot access internally or externally using either No. 2 or 3. I even tried assigning a static IP for the NAS, and setting up port forwarding using port 8080 (same that the NAS assigns). It sill works within my LAN, but not outside! Needless to say it's driving me nuts!

I've rebooted the router and NAS more times than I can count.

Topology:

External Coax -> Comcast Cable Modem (ARRIS TG862G/CT) -> (RJ45) to ASUS RT-N66U -> (RJ45) to Qnap TS-253.

TIA for any help!

Edit: @AthalonX2 , any words of wisdom?

Sasqui, Jan 2, 2021
  3. Problem accessing a NAS drive

I have 2 NAS drives and 3 computers in my home network. The NAS drives and one PC are Ethernet-connected to a router/wireless access point; the other 2 PCs use wireless connections. All 3 PCs can access one NAS drive with no problem. The drives show up in the Network section of File Explorer, and if I click on the NAS's icon all it's shares are displayed (whether or not the PC has credentials to access the shares). The shares on the other NAS drive can be seen by only 2 of the PCs.

On the failing PC the inaccessible NAS drive shows in File Explorer, but if I click on it I get

Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN [​IMG]

However, on that same PC, Firefox can access the FTP server on the NAS drive

Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN [​IMG]

so Windows obviously has no trouble communicating with the NAS. And Windows must be configured to allow communication with a NAS in general or it could not successfully connect to the other NAS. (Those two screen snips were stored on that working NAS.)

The problematic PC doesn't really have to reach the NAS, but I would like it to, and I'm frustrated that I can't figure this out. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the error popup says I should ask the administrator of the server about this. I would, but I'm not speaking with myself at the moment.

pokeefe0001, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN

Accessing files over Network NAS drive

I bought a new laptop on Feb 1. It had Windows 10 installed when I got it.

I set everything up and installed my personal stuff and set the wifi adapter to "private" in the network and sharing options.

Everything was fine. I had direct access to my WD MyCloud NAS storage drive.

On Feb. 2, as I shut down for the night, there was an update. And the next morning, I had no access to my NAS drive.

The drive appears in the file explorer, under network, and several locations on the drive have shortcuts in the Quick Access menu, but nothing on the drive can be accessed, except through the web interface. There is no longer any direct access.

I have tried a large number of fixes I found through Google, including adding a credential and editing through services.msc (making a list of things "automatic" loading rather than "manual."

Nothing has worked.

How do I get my NAS drive back?

***Modify title from: Network NAS drive***

ElsaFrohman, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN

1. Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN - Similar Threads - Can't access NAS

2. Accessing a shared Drive on home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing a shared Drive on home network: Hello,I have a PC and Laptop. I use the same exact Windows Credentials using my live.com account to use both computers. They are BOTH set up as Administrators on each respective computer. However, I cannot access a shared drive from one computer or another, even though it is...
  3. Accessing a shared Drive on home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a shared Drive on home network: Hello,I have a PC and Laptop. I use the same exact Windows Credentials using my live.com account to use both computers. They are BOTH set up as Administrators on each respective computer. However, I cannot access a shared drive from one computer or another, even though it is...
  4. Accessing a shared Drive on home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Access my NAS drive

Can't Access my NAS drive: I cant connect to my NAS. I had mapped drives that worked fine earlier. now I only get an error message. Long message essentialy to many server connections. What has happend Please advice Regards Anders...
  6. Windows 10 LAN NAS no longer accessible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 LAN NAS no longer accessible: After July 20 Windows 10 2004 updates, file explorer reports cannot access 3 of 5 LAN NAS. Affected NAS are 2 Netgear Readynas Duo and 1 Netgear Readynas Duo v2. Unaffected NAS are 1 Netgear Readynas 102 and 1 WD MyBookLive. Troubleshooter does not resolve. Same problem on...
  7. Not able to access NAS Shared folder

Not able to access NAS Shared folder: Hey, Recently, I reinstalled windows 10, and suddenly, I was not able to access any shared folders located on my NAS. I was able to access other PCs (running windows 10)'s shared folders. Other PCs(running windows 10) are able to acccess the NAS. Can you guys help with...
  8. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder: Hi, I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I have a desktop computer attached to the router through cable, some laptops, tablets, cell phone, etc. that are attached to the...
  9. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...
  10. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS: I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup [img] I...