Windows 10: Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer

Discus and support Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Interesting info. But, like you say, as long as it works! @csteinhaus Anything new happened for you? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by csteinhaus, Aug 25, 2016.

1. linw Win User

Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer

Interesting info. But, like you say, as long as it works!
    @csteinhaus Anything new happened for you?

2. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Aug 30, 2016
  3. Hello, Sorry I've been away, I've had some other problems to solve.

My Windows 10 version is 1511 (OS Build 10586.545)

The only machine that is able to access the 2 NAS shares is the Windows Server 2012R2 Active Directory server.

Disabling and re-enabling SMB1 and SMB2 did not allow me to access the servers.

I noticed that the name of the devices on the devices are in all caps, but when they join the domain, the name is in lower case on the AD server. I am not able to change the name of the NAS in AD. I have tried leaving the domain, deleting the entry form AD and rejoining the domain but the name remains in lower case.

When I display the discovery method in Windows Explorer on Win10, only 1 NAS is discvered with NetBIOS, but when I double click on it I get the 0x80070035 errror.

Any other thoughts as to why the AD can access the NAS shares but none of the other PCs or Servers can?

csteinhaus, Sep 13, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Kbird, Sep 13, 2016
  5. Hello, I installed the latest batch of windows updates last night on my AD server and now it is unable to access the NAS. I have reached out to the vendors of the NAS drives to see if there is a update to the SMB they are using to match changes Microsoft has made to the SMB. It looks like both of these NAS vendors are using SMB version 1.

csteinhaus, Sep 15, 2016
  6. David P Win User
    Hi @all,

I got the same problem out of a sudden. Can't access (some) network shares like "\\Server\Folder".

Windows 10 Explorer gives me the errors 0x80070035 and/or 0x80004005, another file manager says it's "Error 53".

I was wondering whether this possibly can be fixed by installing Build 14963?

Regards
    David.P

David P, Oct 1, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Try this first

1) On Windows Machine - disable / uncheck box allowing Homegroup to handle connections and check use password and username (it's in the network settings). Re-boot the windows machine to make the change effective.

2) Ensure on your NAS a service like samba is started (usually 2 daemons -smb and nmb - or might be called smbd / nmbd depending on the OS your NAS is running). Anyway ensure the file sharing / networking sharing service is started and working properly.

3) on your Windows machine from the windows button type run - and in the popup type \\nasservername

If that doesn't work try \\ipaddress. You can get Ipaddress on te NAS if it's running any variant of Linux by typing in on its console ifconfig. Failing that try getting the address from your router --most routers will have a LAN map showing connected devices.

For example here's mine

Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer [​IMG]

Click on any of the attached devices and by selecting INFO I get the IP address.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2016
  8. David P Win User

Thanks -- but in my case I don't really have access to the server (which runs on Windows Server 2008 R2).

So I'm limited to local (client) measures for the time being.

If I boot XP or Win7 on the same client PC, the network shares can also be accessed without any problems.

David P, Oct 1, 2016
  9. David P Win User
    David P, Oct 3, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    Netbios and SMB are not the same thing..... disabling SMB probably allowed Netbios to report to the Master Browser properly all the shares available. SMB sits on top of Netbios put simply....

The SMB "FIX" is also in Post no#15 of mine in this thread..... just note there are different Client Instructions and Server Instructions

KB

some info here if you want a bit more easy to understand info
    What is SMB, NetBIOS etc.?

or Here's a visualization from Richard Sharpe, from samba.org.

Kbird, Oct 3, 2016
  11. David P Win User
    OK thank you for the clarification. Edited my post in order not to lead to misunderstandings (i.e. NetBIOS should remain enabled in the adapter settings).

David P, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't Access NAS

2. Can't Access my NAS drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access my NAS drive: I cant connect to my NAS. I had mapped drives that worked fine earlier. now I only get an error message. Long message essentialy to many server connections. What has happend Please advice Regards Anders...
  3. Access files on NAS-drive through windows file explorer

Access files on NAS-drive through windows file explorer: Hi! Throughout the years I’ve had several different NAS-drives from different manufacturers connected to my home network, and on my computer which had windows 7 installed on it, I could always access all the files on my drives by simply clicking on the drive in the network...
  4. Can't access NAS drives in Windows 10 Pro

Can't access NAS drives in Windows 10 Pro: This is a strange fault as it happened all of a sudden, I shut down the PC one night when everything was fine, then the following day after bootup I couldn't access the NAS drives although they do show in Windows File Explorer, I just get the error 0x80070035 The network path...
  5. Access to NAS from laptop

Access to NAS from laptop: Hello, I recently bought a NAS (Helios4) running on openmediavault. I installed the OS in the NAS, I then followed all the procedures to install openmediavault but I do not manage to see the NAS among my networks. I can enter the NAS from my pc by typing its IP and make...
  6. Can't access NAS files in file explorer

Can't access NAS files in file explorer: Hi, I have a small home office with two computers. I decided to invest in a NAS so that the two computers have access to the same files. The newer computer, a lenovo AIO, had no problem connecting to the nas through a network switch which both computers are connected to,...
  7. Can't access NAS without internet

Can't access NAS without internet: My access to my Synology NAS is not working anymore since I have moved. At my new place, I don't have internet (yet) and it looks like that is tripping off Windows (maybe it increased security settings???). I have my folders mapped, I used to be able to access my NAS folders...
  8. Can't see NAS drives in windows explorer

Can't see NAS drives in windows explorer: I recently purchased a second WD network drive. Before I installed it I could always access the first NAS's files through windows explorer under the network folder. I don't know if there was a recent update to Win 10, but the day after I installed the second NAS drive I...
  9. Can't access NAS by name

Can't access NAS by name: Yesterday I did a clean (re)install of Windows 10. All seemed ok, but today I cannot access a NAS disk by name. I can access it by IP address, and nslookup correctly resolve both name and addresses. But if I try to access \\MyBookLive (I know, - a cleverly original name.) - I...
  10. Windows Explorer Can't Access NAS Storage

Windows Explorer Can't Access NAS Storage: I have a WD EX2Ultra NAS on my home network. Everything worked perfectly until a recent Windows 10 update to Version 1703 Build 15063.540 on my laptop. Now my Windows 10 laptop cannot access the HDs in the NAS. But, my wife's Windows 7 desktop still has access to the NAS HDs....