Windows 10: Can't access network USB drive

Discus and support Can't access network USB drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I hooked up a USB HDD to my router (Tenda AC15) and setup the router to share the drive via FTP. It gives me the FTP address but when I try to connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Will Lyon, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Will Lyon Win User

Can't access network USB drive

I hooked up a USB HDD to my router (Tenda AC15) and setup the router to share the drive via FTP. It gives me the FTP address but when I try to connect with any internet browser I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. If I try to map the network drive I get the screen asking for the password. I enter the password I setup in the router page and then I get "Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.1:21".

If I click diagnose I get "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection". If I click "Detailed report" I get "The device or resource (192.168.0.1) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

I saw Microsoft disabled SMB v1.0 so I went into features and enabled it, rebooted the PC and I still get the same error. All I want to do is use the HDD for backups for multiple PC's. It shouldn't be this difficult.

:)

Will Lyon, Oct 20, 2018

2. Can't access network drive plugged into the router USB port.

Hi Lionel,

It seems that your USB drive is not mapped on your other laptop that's why it can't see it. For me to properly assist you with this concern, please provide me the following information:

• Is this the first time you're trying to access the USB drive from the second laptop?
    • Have you tried adding or mapping the USB drive as a network drive?
    • Do you know the IP address of your router?

If the USB drive is already shared, then you can start mapping it on the second laptop. Please check out the link Map a network
    drive
    and follow the steps for Windows 10.

In case the above steps won't work, then you may have to access the USB drive using the router's IP address. If you don't know the router's IP, then you can check it from the
    Command Prompt. Just type in cmd in the Cortana search, then press Enter. Once the command prompt window opens, type in
    ipconfig, and press Enter. Whatever Default Gateway appears on the result is your
    router's IP address.

Can't access network USB drive 2adff3da-ebdb-4f0d-adc3-4a4dda5e9154?upload=true.png

To access the USB drive using the router's IP, follow these steps:

1. Open the File Explorer.
    2. Click the Network Folder, then clear the path in File Explorer, and replace it with
      \\192.168.2.1 (or whatever router IP you have), then press
      Enter.

Can't access network USB drive 689e83b8-12c2-4ed2-a7f0-f834044f8cdf?upload=true.png

3. The USB drive should now show as a shared folder. At this point, you can either
    pin the shared folder to Start, create a shortcut to the desktop, or
    map it as a network drive. You may follow the same steps from the link I provided above.

Please let me know how it goes so I can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 20, 2018
  3. DannibusX Win User
    Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't access network USB drive - Similar Threads - Can't access network

2. Networked laptop USB drives not accessible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networked laptop USB drives not accessible.: I have tried 'sharing' two laptops and the USB drives attached to a hub connected to one of them. The idea is to access files on a drive attached to a hub plugged into one laptop, from another laptop. I've 'shared' everythin I can think of, altered permissions to 'Everybody'...
  3. Networked laptop USB drives not accessible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networked laptop USB drives not accessible.: I have tried 'sharing' two laptops and the USB drives attached to a hub connected to one of them. The idea is to access files on a drive attached to a hub plugged into one laptop, from another laptop. I've 'shared' everythin I can think of, altered permissions to 'Everybody'...
  4. Networked laptop USB drives not accessible.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't access a shared network drive

Can't access a shared network drive: I have a Windows desktop system here to which I need to connect my two Windows laptops. Laptop1 connects fine but laptop2 returns an error to the effect that I need permission to access that system. But obviously I've done everything on the desktop system that needs to be...
  6. Can't access network drives

Can't access network drives: Hello, I have a very peculiar issue that in my 28 years of experience using Windows, never seen it before. I have two systems: Windows 10 Business on Surface Book 2 Windows 10 Business on VM In both systems I am logged in with the same AzureAD account. Both systems...
  7. Can't access network drive

Can't access network drive: I did a clean install of 1809 on my secondary system a couple of days ago to get rid of an untraceable problem that caused WD to shut down. The WD problem was solved, but I am now unable to access a drive (E:) from other PCs. Another drive (F:) is immediately accessible on...
  8. Can't copy files to network usb drive

Can't copy files to network usb drive: I can't copy files to network usb drive. I can copy from the network drive to the computer. Plus I can't make a new folder in windows 10 too on the network drive. It is almost like the drive is in like ready only state in windows 10. I have no problems with windows 7. I can...
  9. Can't access network usb shared hard drive

Can't access network usb shared hard drive: I may have posted this before, so I apologize for being repetitive. I have a hard drive that is connect to my modem / router via a usb connection. The drive is accessed via \\mynetwork\NETWORKHD After rebooting my router, this will work for some number of days before...
  10. Can't access network usb shared hard drive

Can't access network usb shared hard drive: I have a usb connected hard drive connected to my Bell 2000 router. The instructions to access this drive is to go to the Documents folder and enter \\mynetwork. This then shows the shared hard drive as \\mynetwork\NETWORKHD. If I now click on NETWORKHD I get the following:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ftp://192.168.0.1:21