Windows 10: Can't Access 'old' drives

Discus and support Can't Access 'old' drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I got a new parts in my pc, and The things I changed was the Processor and Motherboard. The Storage devices were left unchanged. It's been awhile since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by installed, Feb 13, 2020.

1. installed Win User

Can't Access 'old' drives

I got a new parts in my pc, and The things I changed was the Processor and Motherboard. The Storage devices were left unchanged. It's been awhile since I changed the parts but, everything that I had previously had installed/had on my 'old' system was still there, but. Locked in a way. No way to access it, nor can I format any of the drives. Or Factory Reset. Asked people and they all said I had two drives installed on each of them but I go to my boot tab and it says there's only one OS.

:)

installed, Feb 13, 2020
  2. DannibusX Win User

Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Feb 13, 2020
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Paolo Mag Win User

Unable to access Drives

Hi Suneel,

One of the reasons why you're unable to access your hard disk or an external hard drive is that these drives have been corrupted. For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Are you trying to access external hard drives or just partitioned drives on your PC?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

Just to make sure, kindly verify if your hard drive is reflected in your Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps listed below to check it:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Device Manager.
    • Under Disk drives, kindly check if there's an error on the hard drive listed.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't Access 'old' drives - Similar Threads - Can't Access 'old'

2. Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...: My seagate drive is not showing up under devices and drives in the "this pc" menu, so I can't access it, but it is showing up in device manager and disk managment.I'm fairly sure it is corrupted as it shows up unnamed in disk manager and there is no "NFTS".screenshot failed...
  3. Can't access files on old Windows 10 drive via USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access files on old Windows 10 drive via USB: I had an old windows 10 PC with a 500 GB hard drive which was split into two 250GB partitions. I scrapped the PC because it was getting slow and pulled out the old sata hard drive to keep before I threw the rest away. After some months I remembered that there were some files...
  4. Can't access files on old C: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access files on old C: drive: Recently my old C: drive died on me. Computer randomly restarted during a game then wouldn't boot up. Happened to have a spare SSD and most of my files are stored on other drives so I went ahead and turned that into my new boot drive. I'd been meaning to update to an SSD for...
  5. Accessing "localstate" location on old drive.

Accessing "localstate" location on old drive.: My computer has had 2 drives for years. The C: Drive SSD holds the operating system. The D: Drive Hard disk was for general use. When using the windows store, it was set to install new apps to the D: drive. Let me use Minecraft for windows 10 as an example:...
  6. trying to access old hard drive

trying to access old hard drive: Good morning all. I recently purchased a new computer, and I'm using old hard drives to move files off other computers, and the hard drives off computers which died, and I kept the drives from. I'm on my last two drives, and I'm not able to access either. I plug them in--...
  7. Accessing programs on boot drive from old drives.

Accessing programs on boot drive from old drives.: Hello, I recently upgraded to an ssd for a boot drive with around 500gb. Now, I would like to put some programs here but I want most of my games and programs to be be loaded from one of my two hard drives. Currently, the ssd is the C: drive. I also cannot seem to access...
  8. Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.

Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.: I am running Windows 10 964 BIT) I want to access the data on an old hard drive that still has an old version of windows on it. (I have a docking facility.) How do I do that without the two operating systems conflicting?...
  9. New computer can't access old hard drives

New computer can't access old hard drives: My old Asus laptop died last week, psu might be the issue. Anyway, decided to get a new laptop and just try to retrieve my info with an IDE/SATA adapter. Every time I connect up the old hard drive, the usual jingle chimes in to let me know I've connected something, but the...
  10. Can't access old Hard Drive, need help!

Can't access old Hard Drive, need help!: I'm new to this forum, and here's what happened. My old Windows XP Desktop stopped running 2 weeks ago, with a No OS Found error. Since then I've taken the hard drive out and connected it to my new Windows 10 desktop with a USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter. It does not show up in...