Windows 10: Can't access other user on home network, again

Discus and support Can't access other user on home network, again in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My wife's computer was just updated to Version 1709, and as with most Windows updates, I'm unable to access certain files/users/computers. This one is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rboppy, Jan 14, 2018.

1. rboppy Win User

Can't access other user on home network, again

My wife's computer was just updated to Version 1709, and as with most Windows updates, I'm unable to access certain files/users/computers. This one is new, I can see her computer (JIMS-PC) just fine (Map Network Drive/Browse), but can't log into any of her folders. I can map to user Jim and to c.

Can't access other user on home network, again [​IMG]

Suzy is her user name and as you can see it is not listed under Users. She shows up under JIMS-PC because I went into her properties and clicked share this folder in Advanced Sharing. But I can't map to it.

There are no other mappings on my computer to JIMS-PC. Subsequent attempts to log on brings up this message:

tenforums is the closet thing I have to a network administrator, any ideas?

:)

rboppy, Jan 14, 2018

2. I lost my ability to share between computers

After my latest Windows update, I now can't connect to my home group. I have

two computers on a network, (at least I DID before this happened), now I can't

access my other computer's shared files any more. A box comes up saying;
    Enter network credentials

Enter your credentials to connect to: (My other computer)

Then it asks for my User name and Password.

Domain: (This computer)
    The user name or password is incorrect.

LindaSmithBH, Jan 14, 2018
  3. network attached storage windows 10 problem

I have Windows 10, home, upgraded for free from Win 8.1. I have full network access, I can print to shared printers, I can access other PCs on the home network. I cannot reach the Western Digital MyBook Home Network Attached Storage. I had this problem
    earlier, then WD sent me a new NAS. It worked for a bit, and now it is invisible to my laptop again. Other PCs can access the NAS. My computer can back up files to the NAS via my Firewall package, so it is not blocking the access. I just can't access the NAS
    through Windows 10 in any meaningful way to use the shared data on it.

TimWeitzel, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey rboppy,
    Under Advanced Sharing, check the NTFS permissions on the Suzy folder. You might need to give Everyone full control for the Share and NTFS permissions.

Eagle51, Jan 14, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    After a major update you get a new version of Windows so a lot of settings go back to default. You need to check properties on the share then you will have to set NTFS permissions. If the share is in her profile it's a problem even on the local PC admins will be denied by default on NTFS

Samuria, Jan 14, 2018
  6. rboppy Win User
    I gave everyone full control, went back to my computer, now it asks for sign in to access JIMS-PC and of course denies me:

rboppy, Jan 14, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    Have you disconnected any mapped drives as it says when it asks for username password are you suppling one for an account on that pc? It makes everything simpler if you have an account on that pc with same username and password as the one your logged in with on the other pc as windows passes that by default

Samuria, Jan 15, 2018
  8. rboppy Win User

Yes there are no mapped drives on this computer to JIMS-PC
    I am a user on her computer, and use the same username and password for both computers.

rboppy, Jan 15, 2018
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey rboppy,
    Probably a long shot, but I wonder if it's a phantom mapped drive (If you did map a drive at one time). See if net use and/or regedit show anything.

Open Command Prompt
    net use

Open Regedit and navigate to the following key and see if any mapped drives are listed.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network

Eagle51, Jan 15, 2018
  10. rboppy Win User
    net use showed a disconnected drive to \\JIMS-PC\SUZY

regedit didn't show any drives to JIMS-PC

rboppy, Jan 15, 2018
  11. rboppy Win User
    I deleted my account on my wife's computer, then added a new account, with my name and password, rebooted both computers, tried to map to user Suzy:

And my account didn't show up at all.

rboppy, Jan 15, 2018
  12. Samuria Win User
    Is the folder in her profile create a new share and try that also try mapping to c$

Samuria, Jan 15, 2018
  13. rboppy Win User

All of this has gone over my head, could you explain it to me?

rboppy, Jan 15, 2018
  14. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey rboppy,
    Yea, this stuff can get a bit over whelming at times. Hang in there ....

If you haven't already try the following ....

1. On her PC, Un-Share the Suzy folder.

2. On your PC, try net use to check for any disconnected/phantom mapped drives and remove them.
    Command Prompt
    net use ... List mapped drives
    net use X: /delete ... Remove any unknown/phantom mapped drives, where X is the drive letter it shows
    Note: If net use does not show a drive letter then you can use the following in Command Prompt
    net use * /delete ... Warning this will remove ALL mapped drives
    How to Map Network Drives From the Command Prompt in Windows

3. Shut Down both PC's, wait a few minutes and then Start each PC

4. On her PC, create a new share for the Suzy folder, double checking both Share and NTFS Permissions.

5. Before I tried to Map the Drive, I would make sure I could access it from File Explorer > Address Bar using \\JIMS-PC\Suzy

Eagle51, Jan 16, 2018
  15. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Eagle51, will try this tomorrow. Interesting I tried the file explorer - address bar on another shared computer and it tried to open it in my Chrome browser, is that right?

rboppy, Jan 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't access other user on home network, again - Similar Threads - Can't access user

2. Can't get a shared printer to be usable by other users home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get a shared printer to be usable by other users home network: I have an HP Laserjet M14-M17 PCLmS attached to Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 7 Pro and shared it to my network home. When viewing devices from other computers, I can see the computer and printer, and try to connect/install it. I get the "Connection to printer on computer then...
  3. Can't get a shared printer to be usable by other users home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get a shared printer to be usable by other users home network: I have an HP Laserjet M14-M17 PCLmS attached to Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 7 Pro and shared it to my network home. When viewing devices from other computers, I can see the computer and printer, and try to connect/install it. I get the "Connection to printer on computer then...
  4. Can't access other computer in network but other can access mine

Can't access other computer in network but other can access mine: so i cant acces other computer via network sharing but other computer can access mine. im in windows 11 newest version please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-other-computer-in-network-but-other/47ecbb83-f674-4a16-8b3b-9d94630e132e
  5. Can't access the other Windows 11 computers on my home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access the other Windows 11 computers on my home network: Since upgrading to Windows 11, my ASUS PC and all DELL laptops on my home network can see each other and can see all computer folders. Unfortunately, they are not permitted access to files despite having set up file sharing. I am always told that my Network Credentials are...
  6. Can't access the other Windows 11 computers on my home network

Can't access the other Windows 11 computers on my home network: Since upgrading to Windows 11, my ASUS PC and all DELL laptops on my home network can see each other and can see all computer folders. Unfortunately, they are not permitted access to files despite having set up file sharing. I am always told that my Network Credentials are...
  7. Can't access other IPs on my home network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't access other IPs on my home network: Hi everyone, So, I've got a small home network with a media center, a few wifi repeater and a few other computers. The thing is, after the latest update (KB4586819 1909), I can't seen any of these devices from my PC anymore. For example, if I type 192.168.2.17:8080 on my...
  8. Can't access computers on home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access computers on home network: I'm setting up a new Dell XPS 8930. Existing home network which uses Workgroup at this point includes a Win7 Dell and a Win8.1 Lenovo. The Win7 will be updated to 10 when this problem is solved. All computers show up on all computers under Network. The Win10 can access the...
  9. Can't access other computers on network

Can't access other computers on network: Of course it was working fine when on 1803 (after lots of tinkering) but now on 1809 I can't get to my other computers. I turned off password protection in network sharing so at least I can bring up the other computers but when I try to access the user etc I get access...
  10. Accessing other pc's on home network.

Accessing other pc's on home network.: I have 2 pc's running windows 10 pro, on my main pc File Explorer shows my 2 pc's in network but I can't connect with my second pc everytime, it always shows in file explorer but 95% of the time I get an error message, , Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found,...