Windows 10: Can't access other users at logon screen - Only an old user

Discus and support Can't access other users at logon screen - Only an old user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi As the title suggests, I cannot see a way of logging-on to Windows. At present, an old user (no longer contactable) comes up by default, but I don't... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by percyp, Apr 7, 2021.

1. percyp Win User

Can't access other users at logon screen - Only an old user

Hi
    As the title suggests, I cannot see a way of logging-on to Windows. At present, an old user (no longer contactable) comes up by default, but I don't know his password. There is no option for other users - I've tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, Alt-F4, Win-L and other combinations suggested on the web, but none of these have any effect at all - nothing happens.
    Restarting/shutting down doesn't help.
    I have run the troubleshooting from Shift-Restart and added users to the Admin group via the command line, but they still don't show up for logging-on.
    Any help much appreciated.

Windows10 on an Asus T100HA

Thanks

:)

percyp, Apr 7, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

percyp,

As you'll see from post #6 above, I failed to understand your situation properly and have asked Brink to help.
    - I failed to appreciate that you were unable to log in at all.

How did this problem start?
    - Was there some system change that created the problem?
    - Or are you trying to re-start using an old computer that's been in the potting shed for a year?
    - Are you certain that other user accounts exist and that at least one of them is an Admin user account? If so you ought to have been able to log in using one of them in the WRE [the Shift-Restart mode].

Denis

Try3, Apr 7, 2021
  3. percyp Win User

Hi
    As the title suggests, I cannot see a way of logging-on to Windows. At present, an old user (no longer contactable) comes up by default, but I don't know his password. There is no option for other users - I've tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, Alt-F4, Win-L and other combinations suggested on the web, but none of these have any effect at all - nothing happens.
    Restarting/shutting down doesn't help.
    I have run the troubleshooting from Shift-Restart and added users to the Admin group via the command line, but they still don't show up for logging-on.
    Any help much appreciated.

Windows10 on an Asus T100HA

Thanks

percyp, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Can't access other users at logon screen - Only an old user

user accounts missing from logon screen

I have several user accounts on my laptop but after updating recently only about half of them now appear on my logon screen.The accounts still show in the users folder and are in the NETUSER list but they don't show in NETPLWIZ box.I have seen articles
    that suggest this can be fixed in win 10 pro but I'm on win10home.I believe its a well known issue ,,How do i fix it? ta

jizzlobber, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't access other users at logon screen - Only an old user - Similar Threads - Can't access users

2. "Other user" button/option is not showing at logon screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    "Other user" button/option is not showing at logon screen.: Hello,When I sign out or reboot, I am not seeing the "Other user" option or button at the bottom left. I have tried many things including what is in this article and it doesn't...
  3. Other User on logon screen

Other User on logon screen: Hi, the laptop given to me by my school suddenly started saying other user on logon, I am not the administrator is there anyway to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/other-user-on-logon-screen/dbadf391-f7b2-44a2-aef4-dd4257875d3a
  4. Can't access other users, new users don't get a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't access other users, new users don't get a folder: So in my "Other Users" settings, there's three other accounts. None of them have a folder in C:\Users, and I have no option to switch users, through start or the log-in screen. The Users folder has four subfolders; my account, Public, Default (hidden), and my partner's. The...
  5. login defaults to other user only, no other users show

login defaults to other user only, no other users show: My W10 keeps defaulting to other user when there is none, and no way to get back to my login. Admin was set up by someone else, so don't have that. have always logged in w me as user. When I go to repair, i see my user name so i know it's out there somewhere....
  6. Other User (username and pasword can't access)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Other User (username and pasword can't access): HI, my lenovo yoga 520 always saying this "you need to sign in as an administrator to continue, but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC." i tried so many times in signing in my pasword and username but it won't work, then i try to reset my pasword using Shift...
  7. Other user logon issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Other user logon issue: I recently received a re-imaged computer upgraded to Windows 10. Since then, when I use my docking station, and begin a logon with my user name and password, it stays on the "other user" profile for at least 5 minutes before getting to my personal profile, then takes...
  8. Logon to other accounts through "Other User"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Logon to other accounts through "Other User": I am now using Windows 10 (1607 version). I want to display certain users on logon screen and also allow login to other accounts through "Other User" (like in Windows 7). However, I can only either display all the accounts on logon screen or type both the username and...
  9. i want to disable "other user" option on logon screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    i want to disable "other user" option on logon screen: Hi, My computer is in domain and i am using third party software for login (2FA). i want to disable the "other user" option on logon screen or if i click on other user nothing should happen. i should authenticate only using third party software via domain. Kindly...
  10. Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user: On a friends laptop which was given to him, on the startup/logon screen he sees 2 names. His own and the previous owner. He said he deleted the user account for the previous owner and if I go to users, it only shows him as the sole user as administrator. If I use the...