Windows 10: Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive via Windows 10

Discus and support Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive via Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; An audio folder on my external hard drive was created 10 years ago and accessible and able to read/write the contents until I moved from 7 to a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ASpur1, Sep 6, 2020.

1. ASpur1 Win User

Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive via Windows 10

An audio folder on my external hard drive was created 10 years ago and accessible and able to read/write the contents until I moved from 7 to a Windows 10 machine recently. It is the only folder of many on the drive with this problem. Other audio files outside of this folder are accessible and play.

I am using the sole administrator account for the computer; there are no other user accounts. I am the only one who will ever be using the computer. I do not share any files or download any new ones.

The main audio file folder has some 'loose' audio files as well as several sub folders in it. At first, when I would click on the main audio folder it wouldn't let me in and I'd get the "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" so I clicked continue to permanently add "Administrators" as owner. Now I can get in the main audio folder to view the 'loose' files and sub folders BUT...

1 when I click on one of the 'loose' files, whatever it is in "my music" that's it's set to play in by default gives me a "can't play. We can't get to the file for this item. If it's downloading or just finished downloading, try again soon. Otherwise, make sure another app isn't using the file and that you can access the place the file is stored. 0x80070005." Right clicking the files and sending them to Windows Media player produces "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

2 all of the sub folders in the main folder are giving me the "you don't currently have permission to access this folder..." error message.

I don't know if I already have done something wrong, already spent some hours trying, and could use some help, please. Thank you. I could bring this external drive back to a machine with an older version of Windows, if that helps ?.

:)

ASpur1, Sep 6, 2020

2. Unable to access folders in external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access the files and folders from external hard drive, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you logged in as an administrator?
    • How have you connected the hard drive to Windows 10 computer?
    • Were you able to see any error code along with the error message?
    • Is this issue specific only with the files and folders in the external drive?
    • Have you tried to access these files on different computer?

Reply to the post with required information and brief description about the issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 6, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive via Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive via Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't Access Play

2. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  3. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  4. Can't access external hard drive in file manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access external hard drive in file manager: I recently switched from a Mac to Windows 10, had been using my external hard drive fine, but I can't open it in file manager since getting my new PC. It connects, and it shows up in disk manager, but none of the previous fixes on this forum have worked so that I can access...
  5. Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive

Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive: Hi! I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I've a folder with hundreds of audio files on my external hard drive that was created 10 years ago. They've been accessible and played until I moved from 7 to a Windows 10 machine recently. It is the only folder of many on the drive with...
  6. Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Access, Play Audio Files in *One* Folder on External Hard Drive: Hi! I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I've a folder with hundreds of audio files on my external hard drive that was created 10 years ago. They've been accessible and played until I moved from 7 to a Windows 10 machine recently. It is the only folder of many on the drive with...
  7. can't access external hard drive

can't access external hard drive: Hello, A few days ago I purchased a brand new Lenovo Ideapad laptop (Win ver 1909), and when I tried to transfer my files via my external WD hard drive, I could see the drive as a partition (don't remember how I found that) and I could hear it running, but it didn't show up...
  8. Can't access external hard drive files. Please help.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access external hard drive files. Please help.: So long story short, I managed to get an old 500 gb external hard drive to be recognised by windows, and it displays the drive. I have a steam game rainbow six siege moved onto there which works perfectly fine. But when it comes to browsing the drive's files, as soon as I...
  9. Can't access external hard drive

Can't access external hard drive: Yes, it is visible in Device Manager. Yes, the "best drivers" are already installed. Yes to every unhelpful "reply" from Microsoft LITTERED around this forum. Yet I still cannot open the drive. HOW DO I ACCESS MY EXTERNAL DRIVE?1?! This is clearly a known issues that you...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...