Windows 10: Can't access recovery mode, installation media not recognised

Discus and support Can't access recovery mode, installation media not recognised in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've gotten the BSOD problem after an update of the OS. Turning off the computer when seeing the Win logo and then do the same twice doesn't work as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AnnCathrine1, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Can't access recovery mode, installation media not recognised

I've gotten the BSOD problem after an update of the OS. Turning off the computer when seeing the Win logo and then do the same twice doesn't work as the win logo shows just once.

The second time I restart the computer I get directly to the blue screen which tells me I need to use installation media for recovery of the OS.

I have the installation media on an USB but it's not recognised by the computer.

I changed the boot order and tried every available USB option directly in the BIOS settings but the USB still isn't recognised.

I don't have any other installation media and no spare computer. I don't know how to access the log files and by that I haven't attached any.

I appreciate all tips I can get.

:)

AnnCathrine1, Nov 18, 2020

2. BSOD Recovery Media Fails

Hi,

This issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
      • bootrec /fixmbr
      • bootrec /fixboot
      • bootrec /scanos
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Nov 18, 2020
  3. yogurt_21 Win User
    Data recovery software

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free

click the top spoiler and then look down to recovery.

All of the suggestions in the old threads were consolidated into that one.

yogurt_21, Nov 18, 2020
  4. Can't access recovery mode, installation media not recognised

Missing Recovery Environment

Hi Alan,

Here is a link containing several useful suggestions to help you recover Windows 10. Since the error message that you got tells you to insert your Windows installation or recovery media. We suggest the perform the steps listed under
    Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC or you can also follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC. Please see the link below for more details:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

Can't access recovery mode, installation media not recognised

1. Can't access recovery mode, installation media not recognised - Similar Threads - Can't access recovery

2. Can't reboot to recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reboot to recovery mode: Hi! I want to recover my windows 11 with a recovery usb drive but I can't get into the recovery menu. Like after selecting my usb drive from the bios it gets stuck to the logo of lenovo. How to fix this ?...
  3. Can't reboot to recovery mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reboot to recovery mode: Hi! I want to recover my windows 11 with a recovery usb drive but I can't get into the recovery menu. Like after selecting my usb drive from the bios it gets stuck to the logo of lenovo. How to fix this ?...
  4. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  5. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  6. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows Installation or Recovery Media.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Installation or Recovery Media.: We have been struggling to reset one of our devices that is currently running on WINDOWS 10.What have we done:- We have went to our settings, RECOVERY > RESET THIS PCHowever there is a ERROR that pops up for us saying "Insert your Windows Installer or Recovery Media. And try...
  8. Windows Installation or Recovery Media.

Windows Installation or Recovery Media.: We have been struggling to reset one of our devices that is currently running on WINDOWS 10.What have we done:- We have went to our settings, RECOVERY > RESET THIS PCHowever there is a ERROR that pops up for us saying "Insert your Windows Installer or Recovery Media. And try...
  9. Windows Installation or Recovery Media.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Can't run recovery mode or access Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't run recovery mode or access Windows: Hi, Lately my new laptop was having blue screens issues. I uninstalled my antivirus but it didn't resolve blue screen, so I tried to access safe mode to uninstall drivers. After restarting windows didn't let me log in showing this message: "something happened and your PIN...