Windows 10: Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD

Discus and support Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So for some odd reason, I always get an error message when another computer tries to access my shared folder on my secondary HDD (D: drive). (You do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dEaFTOLiGhT, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD

So for some odd reason, I always get an error message when another computer tries to access my shared folder on my secondary HDD (D: drive). (You do not have permission to access (share). Contact your network administrator to request access. The permissions are set properly. It is set to share with everyone. I tried creating a new folder from scratch on the D drive and setting sharing, and it still didn’t work. I created a folder in the same way on the C drive and it works fine. I checked the advanced security settings, and they are all the exact same. Only difference is TrustedInstaller owns the c: drive and i am the owner of the D:\ Drive. I had an issue before with the secondary HDD not showing up in the indexing options after removal from a domain. I assumed the permissions got screwed up somehow. That’s when I took ownership of the entire D drive.

:)

dEaFTOLiGhT, Nov 15, 2017

2. How to retrieve old emails from dead computer hard drive for transfer to new computer and Outlook Express 6?

Hi Lee,

I realize that you want to retrieve data from a failed HDD to Windows 10 PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to connect the HDD on the Windows 10 PC as a secondary HDD. Once this is done login to Windows 10 PC to check if you are able to access that HDD. Once you have the access you can transfer the desired data from the secondary HDD to
    the primary HDD.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 15, 2017
  3. Cannot access shared folder when connecting HDD to other machine

Machines: Laptop - Raspberry Pi 3

I want to set up a shared network drive on my Rpi and then access files on it from any machine on the network. SUCCESS up until here!

I did so by mounting the HDD on a directory I created on my Rpi.

I use samba to make the connections (I think that is what it does).

So, in samba configuration file I added:

[WD]

comment = Network Drive

path = /media/wd

valid users = @users

create mask = 0660

directory mask = 0771

read only = no

and that way i got a "wd" shared folder when I access the drive if it is connected to Rpi.

I can then create folders and I am able to read/write to/from them, both from the Rpi and the laptop.

The problem is the following.

If I unplug my HDD from my Rpi and connect it to the laptop (Win10), the name of the disk changes from "WD1000" (I had it named that way) to "Local Disk" and when I click on it there is a pop-up window saying:

Location is not available

E:\ is not accessible.

The parameter is incorrect.

When I plugit back to the Rpi, everything is in order again.

I had formated the drive in NTFS through Windows.

I think it is a permission problem with the masks but I am in totally uncharted area for me here.

Can anyone help? Thank you in advance!

IoannisKatagas, Nov 15, 2017
  4. Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD

Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD [​IMG]

Here are the sharing settings on both the C drive share and the D drive share.
    I also included the entire drives settings just for good measure.

dEaFTOLiGhT, Nov 15, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not only do the share permission have to be set for access, but also the folder security permissions as well. If the user that is attempting to access the folder/file is not also allowed permission under the security tab, access will be denied:

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2017
  6. “Everyone” is in the security tab as well for the shared folder. Not for the entire drive, but for the shared folder they are.

dEaFTOLiGhT, Nov 16, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you are relying upon the "Everyone" group to provide the access to the folder/files, then you also need to turn off "Password Protected Sharing" in the Advanced Sharing Settings control panel under All Networks:

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2017
  8. Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD

It's been off... All my basic settings are good. This is why my problem is so bizarre. And it's only on this computer. I don't encounter this problem on other workstations in the office.

dEaFTOLiGhT, Nov 16, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Except for system drive(C) All HD's in your PC should be owned by SYSTEM, not you. When a HD is initialized, there are 4 users in Security tab (Authenticated, SYSTEM, Administrators, Users). Both SYSTEM and Administrators have all permissions checked. If you create a folder under D:, Add "Everyone" to the list, should have the same permissions as SYSTEM on both "Permissions" button and "Security" tab.
    Double check:
    • If network profile is set to "Private"
    • Network path is: \\YOURPC\D
    • password turned off
    You might want to share the whole D drive then unshare just to make sure everything is setup correctly. In addition, for HOME networking, it's better to assign a static IP for each device in the router so that every time a device is turned on, it'll get the same LAN IP address.

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2017
  10. When you change owner and configure both the folder and sharing permissions, make sure you also inherit the permissions to all sub files and folders.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD

1. Can’t access shared folder on secondary HDD - Similar Threads - Can’t access shared

2. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  3. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  4. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  5. Can’t access shared folder because of organization’s security policies

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t access shared folder because of organization’s security policies: [ATTACH]If you try to connect to a device, which requires the credentials of a guest instead of proper authentication, you might come across an error […] This post Can’t access shared folder because of organization’s security policies is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. No access to the shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to the shared folder: Hi all, I have an issue with the shared folders. I did share a few folders from my PC, but they are not visible either from my laptop or streamer Dune HD base. I do see that the folders are shared when I check their status in the "Properties". In addition, I do see that the...
  7. Shared folder not accessible

Shared folder not accessible: I was trying to access a shared folder from my laptop on my PC (Both are running Windows 10) when it told me that he couldn't connect to it. Diagnostics say that there might be something wrong with the DNS-Server. I also tried pinging the PC and it worked perfectly. The...
  8. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...
  9. Shared Folder Access

Shared Folder Access: Hi All, I had a windows 7 machine built to share a folder on my workgroup network. I slowly grew my network and begun getting an error that there was too many simultaneous connections. I was told to upgrade to server 2016 STD so i purchased it and have it installed and...
  10. Shared Folders from External HDD Folders Not Accessible in Android

Shared Folders from External HDD Folders Not Accessible in Android: All of my shared folders from internal HDD are accessible from my android phone via es file explorer (latest version). But all of my shared folders from external HDD Folders visible but NOT accessible! I'm really out of ideas. I have already tried removing workgroup....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant access users folder on secondary hd

2. have no access to pc internal hds in network sharing