Windows 10: Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.

Discus and support Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've noticed that whenever I try accessing a shared folder on my desktop from another device, I'm only able to successfully do so when I switch to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by itneveroccurred, May 28, 2023.

1. Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.

I've noticed that whenever I try accessing a shared folder on my desktop from another device, I'm only able to successfully do so when I switch to a local account instead of using my microsoft account. I've already tried doing "whoami" in the cmd prompt and using that for the username, but it still doesn't work. I'm guessing I'll just have to use a local account from now on if I wanna be able to share files between my devices as easily unless someone knows of a solution.For context my desktop is running Windows 11 and the device I was using is my S22 Ultra, but I've had this issue even before

:)

itneveroccurred, May 28, 2023
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Argel Obm Win User
    Can't access shared folders on other PCs if logged in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft Work Account

Hi,

There are several reasons why you cannot access the shared folder on other computers while you're using your Microsoft account. There may be an issue with your account or there is a compatibility issues between Microsoft accounts and local accounts. We recommend
    that you isolate the issue by using another Microsoft account as the log in on your computer to see if you'll be able to access the shared folders of the other computers. If you do not have another Microsoft account, we suggest that you create one so that
    you can continue on isolating the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, May 28, 2023
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, May 28, 2023
Thema:

Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.

1. Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account. - Similar Threads - Can't access shared

2. I can't access my local account log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't access my local account log in: I recently updated my computer and when I went to log in again it was messed up. Usually it will prompt me for the computer password but now my only option is to login to a microsoft account. I have tried to log in multiple times using a microsoft account but it asks me to...
  3. I can't access my local account log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't access my local account log in: I recently updated my computer and when I went to log in again it was messed up. Usually it will prompt me for the computer password but now my only option is to login to a microsoft account. I have tried to log in multiple times using a microsoft account but it asks me to...
  4. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  5. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  6. Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared folder unless logged into a local account.: I've noticed that whenever I try accessing a shared folder on my desktop from another device, I'm only able to successfully do so when I switch to a local account instead of using my microsoft account. I've already tried doing "whoami" in the cmd prompt and using that for the...
  7. Switched to Local Account and Can't Log In

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Switched to Local Account and Can't Log In: Trying to switch from one Microsoft account to another on laptop. Went through set up as local user, typed in password 2x and hint. Went to next steps as screen instructed. Tried to log in under local user and password wont work. How can I get back in and sign in with my...
  8. Can't access to shared folders on Windows10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access to shared folders on Windows10: I can't access to shared folders from my PC. I tried to access on shared also via \\IP\shared but doesn't work. What could be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-to-shared-folders-on-windows10/540f3cf0-f506-42fa-960c-17713ba7b4a2"
  9. Can't remove access to shared folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't remove access to shared folders: Yesterday, I noticed that suddenly my desktop and the my documents folder are shared folders. I have not done this. I have been trying to remove this without succes. RIght clicking the file or folder and go give access to-> remove acces does nothing. It pops up a screen that...
  10. Can't log out of local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't log out of local account: For a couple months I've had a single account without password protection - never had to purposefully log out - just shut down. I added another account a couple days ago. Now the PC hangs up with a blank screen for about 5 minutes when I try to log out. Eventually the PC...