Windows 10: Can't access shared Windows 8 computers via Windows 10

Discus and support Can't access shared Windows 8 computers via Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OK, so I have this one Windows 10 computer. When trying to access a Windows 8 computer under "Network", it prompts me for a user/pass. All other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rasmasyean, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Can't access shared Windows 8 computers via Windows 10

OK, so I have this one Windows 10 computer.
    When trying to access a Windows 8 computer under "Network", it prompts me for a user/pass.

All other computers (Windows 7/8) can see the public folders of each other no problem; even the public folders of this one Windows 10 computer!

What gives? Thx.

:)

rasmasyean, Jan 5, 2016
  2. srodar Win User

Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder

I have a customer with a peer to peer network. They have just added a Windows 10 Home computer to the network. The new computer shared folders can be accessed by any of the other computers on the network. Additionally the new computer can access shared folders
    on a Windows 7 computer but is not able to access shares on another Windows 8 computer. The Windows 8 computer can access shared folders on the new Windows 10 computer.

Network discovery and file sharing are turned on on all computers. Password protected sharing is turned off. When attempting to see the shared folders on the Window 8 machine from the new Windows 10 machine a prompt asking for a Username and password appears.
    I enter the logged in username from the Window 8 machine and the password that user enters to log on to the Windows 8 machine. Each time it tells me the username or password is incorrect. The shared folders are set for full access by Everyone. The shared folders
    on the Windows 8 machine are easily accessed from the other two computers on the network. I can successfully ping the Windows 8 machine from the new Windows 10 machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

srodar, Jan 5, 2016
  3. Network connecting and file sharing

hi

i am using windows 10 home now.

other computers in network are windows 7, 8, 8.1 .

i am not using home group setting.

i can connect to windows 8 and windows 8.1 pc and read files from share folder and share printer.

i can't connect to windows 7 pc.

in network and sharing center, i allow all network discovery and file sharing and public folder.

but i can't access to windows 7 pc.

i don't have access permission and contact to administrator error.

from windows 7 pc, i can connect to windows 10 pc.

i can't connect to linux file server also.

i am waiting for the reply.

thanks

Thet oo zin, Jan 5, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Can't access shared Windows 8 computers via Windows 10

Try the following to disable SMB 2 & 3. Microsoft has found it in their idiotic wisdom to stop guest browsing of shares from and to Windows 10. The following is entered in the Powershell as an Administrator. Also remember to Flush the DNS and reset the Winsock, before rebooting.

Use the Client commands for the disable. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

bro67, Jan 5, 2016
Thema:

Can't access shared Windows 8 computers via Windows 10

1. Can't access shared Windows 8 computers via Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't access shared

2. Can't Access A Share in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't Access A Share in Windows 10: I have two computers, both running Windows 10 and both with the same account info Hotmail address and password. I am able to Remote Desktop into my "server" computer using my Hotmail address and password, but am not able to access its shared folder from my "desktop" computer...
  3. Can't Access A Share in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access A Share in Windows 10: I have two computers, both running Windows 10 and both with the same account info Hotmail address and password. I am able to Remote Desktop into my "server" computer using my Hotmail address and password, but am not able to access its shared folder from my "desktop" computer...
  4. Can't Access A Share in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't access computer shared file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access computer shared file: I have a computer network LAN and I want to access the shared file from my co-worker's PC, but an error occur and this happens: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-computer-shared-file/a479aa8a-d3fc-4620-a2be-d178f6ec93c8
  6. Can't access computer shared file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access computer shared file: I have a computer network LAN and I want to access the shared file from my co-worker's PC, but an error occur and this happens: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-computer-shared-file/a479aa8a-d3fc-4620-a2be-d178f6ec93c8
  7. Can't access Windows 10 shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access Windows 10 shares: Hi there. I have a Windows 10 Pro desktop, with several shared folders, for each of which I have configured both my own username and "Everyone" for full access. I have gone through Network sharing and ticked all the boxes that need to be ticked, checked the adaptor settings,...
  8. cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop

cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop: Hello all, I am trying to share some files and folders on a windows 8.1 laptop with a windows 10 desktop. I have enabled all share options and authorizations on both computers and on the source files as well. However, on the windows 8.1 laptop the other pc is not visible...
  9. Vista can't access Windows 10 share

Vista can't access Windows 10 share: I work with a company that has 5 computers with NO internet access. They are only connected to each other by a switch (no router). 4 run Vista (I know, not supported, but again, offline). 1 now runs Windows 10. The addresses are in the 169.254 subnet. This has always...
  10. Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN: Hi, I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain. I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my router using a local IP address. I can't however access any of my mapped drives. I've tried allowing all SMB rules in...