Windows 10: Can't Access Specific Files

Discus and support Can't Access Specific Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I was trying to get rid of files that I don't need on my computer anymore because my C drive didn't have a lot of space left. I opened up Apps And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MeZain, Aug 13, 2020.

1. MeZain Win User

Can't Access Specific Files

So I was trying to get rid of files that I don't need on my computer anymore because my C drive didn't have a lot of space left. I opened up Apps And Features from WIN+X menu and uninstalled a couple files. I had a file called "FileZilla" installed which I wanted to uninstall. I uninstalled it and it asked me if I wanted to reboot now or later, I selected later. I then continued to uninstall other files. Then I rebooted. I didn't check if any file was uninstalled as they were all removed from apps and features menu. Today I went into C:\Program Files\ and saw FileZilla, I opened the folder and all the files were still inside. There was a file calleduninstall.exe so I opened it up and followed the steps to uninstall and it asked me to reboot and I did. I checked again and the folder was still there, and so were the files. I was confused as to why it wasn't installing. I tried uninstalling the folder manually and it said I needed admin permissions, I clicked "Continue" and it started uninstalling. Then it said that I didn't have admin permissions to delete the folder. I think this is the reason why theuninstall.exe wasn't working. I also saw another file, MalwareBytes which was NOT in the apps and features panel, I tried opening the folder and it didn't let me! There were also some other files that I couldn't open at all because of administrator perms which I am sure were all installed by me. I am currently very confused and don't know what to do.

:)

MeZain, Aug 13, 2020
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

Can't Access Specific Files

1. Can't Access Specific Files - Similar Threads - Can't Access Specific

2. How to remove internet access to a specific file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove internet access to a specific file: Well i want to remove internet access to a specific a .exe file, do you any way to do that or any kind of softwares ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-internet-access-to-a-specific-file/1d0299d3-b3ee-4739-a6ab-ebd9563c123b
  3. How to remove internet access to a specific file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove internet access to a specific file: Well i want to remove internet access to a specific a .exe file, do you any way to do that or any kind of softwares ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-internet-access-to-a-specific-file/1d0299d3-b3ee-4739-a6ab-ebd9563c123b
  4. How to remove internet access to a specific file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't access specific downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access specific downloads: I updated to windows 11. I downloaded two RAR files and I keep getting "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I'm only getting this for these files. I can access the rest of my downloads. I...
  6. Can't access specific downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access specific downloads: I updated to windows 11. I downloaded two RAR files and I keep getting "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I'm only getting this for these files. I can access the rest of my downloads. I...
  7. Can't download a specific file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't download a specific file: I try to download a file and it says "network error". I thought its chrome problem, but tried on Edge and it failed there too. Other files can be downloaded. This is a single PDF file that doesn't work. submitted by /u/gitrikt [link] [comments]...
  8. OneDrive: Sync Specific File to be accessed by a program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive: Sync Specific File to be accessed by a program: Kind of hard to explain this, but imagine that I use a software called XYZ on three PC's running the same version of the software and the same Windows version. XYZ looks in a particular location on the computer Appdatafor Profile information. I am currently manually making...
  9. Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory: Is it possible to prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory? On privacy setting it only has option for accessing file system. And on Apps & features setting, not all apps has advanced option button.. What I want to do is something like "prevent foobar.exe...
  10. Can't backup a specific file

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't backup a specific file: I just bought a WD My Passport Ultra and it comes with a copy of WD Backup. Never using backup software I decided to give it a try and see what happens. I had no problems at all until I ended up with a message "These files failed to back up: UPPS.bin, 15.77kb". so I decided...