Windows 10: Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen

Discus and support Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Before explaining how i got here, i will explain what exactly is happening. When I boot up my computer i see the logo then text saying Preparing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Helix935, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Helix935 Win User

Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen

Before explaining how i got here, i will explain what exactly is happening. When I boot up my computer i see the logo then text saying Preparing Automatic Repair with a loading icon. Then i would get a black screen that would sometimes show a cursor that i can use with the black screen but most times just the black screen. Eventually this black screen ca give way to Diagnosing your PC loading screen that loops endlessly

Okay this started after I downloaded the anniversary edition for Windows 10, the first time i booted up the computer i had faced the AVG Watchdog initialization bug which prevented from accessing the laptop for the few weeks as tried looking for solutions forcing me to eventually uninstall AVG through Safe mode (the only way i managed to was through turning it off and on 3 times as every other way including holding F8 had not worked). After booting up the first time without issue after removing AVG and getting some things done, I turned it off without issue then i faced this new problem which is still plaguing me. I've looked up in forums for a solution but the closest i found was just reinstalling windows and losing everything, does anyone have a solution where i can still keep my data?

:)

Helix935, Oct 12, 2016
  2. steve_rk Win User

Can not access UEFI screen / BIOS (Computer can still boot into OS which is weird)

The three ways to access UEFI/BIOS settings in the How To Geek article all led to a black screen, also any option selected from the recovery screen (Troubleshoot, Advance Startup) leads to a black screen. I believe some alternative booting option is currently
    enabled (Quick Boot, Fast boot or the like) as the manufacturer's logo never appears. Would a system restart solve problems related to the BIOS/UEFI?

steve_rk, Oct 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Black Screen on boot up then blue logo

This morning I tried to access my pc, I turned it on and the screen went black for around 2 minutes then a blue logo came up a windows one. So I waited and a blue screen came up with error!

Edit windows ran a automatic repair but still lead to a black screen.

ImranAli26, Oct 12, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Helix935 and welcome to Tenforums.

If it was less than 10 days since this happened, you might have been able to go into Settings>Recovery and rollback from the Anniversary Update. But it's been too long now.

If it's data only that you're needing to save, you could boot the system to Kyhi's rescue media and use File Explorer to copy your data over to an external drive, then perform a clean install, (or reset or refresh from within safe mode).
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
    You will need to reinstall your personal applications after the OS is working again though.

simrick, Oct 12, 2016
  5. Helix935 Win User
    hmm, i'll look into that, thank you

Helix935, Oct 12, 2016
  6. Helix935 Win User
    after many attempts, i have concluded that i have not been able to get it to boot up from the rescue disk. I have still gotten a black screen (sometimes with a cursor) with the "preparing automatic repair" loading icon preceding it. This has been infuriating as i have been unable to even reach a sign in screen or force safe mode and thus reach any options for troubleshooting.

Helix935, Oct 25, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    You may need to go into your BIOS and turn off safe boot/turn on legacy boot in order to get the system to boot to external media.
    See post from NINE here:
    Solved: How to boot from USB DVD Rom on Y500 with SLI? - Lenovo Community

simrick, Oct 25, 2016
  8. Helix935 Win User

Helix935, Oct 25, 2016
  9. Helix935 Win User
    I've managed to get it into bios and boot up from the USB but i can't seem to get kyhi's rescue disk to work properly, do i combine it the files within with the files from the windows 10 rescue USB or do i do something else?

Helix935, Oct 25, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    The best thing to do is mount Kyhi's ISO while you're in Windows (right click the ISO and select MOUNT). That will assign it a drive letter. Open the mounted ISO and copy all files over to an empty flash drive. Then boot the system using the flash drive. If you have problems getting the system to boot to it, use RUFUS to create the flash drive from Kyhi's ISO.

simrick, Oct 25, 2016
  11. Helix935 Win User
    I was wondering about that because when i tried copying everything from the iso to an empty flashdrive and booted the computer from there my computer said that it was unable to run the file because it had no setup program

Helix935, Oct 26, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Hmmm...it should work, but RUFUS will sort that for sure.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen - Similar Threads - Can't access startup

2. Startup Screens at boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Screens at boot up: I have a Lenovo x1 Carbon 6th gen. I just had the screen and system board replaced. When I turn on my computer the Lenovo Logo comes up giving the option to enter the bios, screen 1. Then a windows blue square comes up screen 2, then the lock screen, screen 3. So, three...
  3. Startup Screens at boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startup Screens at boot up: I have a Lenovo x1 Carbon 6th gen. I just had the screen and system board replaced. When I turn on my computer the Lenovo Logo comes up giving the option to enter the bios, screen 1. Then a windows blue square comes up screen 2, then the lock screen, screen 3. So, three...
  4. Black screen and operating system not booted on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen and operating system not booted on startup: This morning I tried to turn on my laptop but when i pressed the power button it would turn on the keyboard backlight and other such lights but the screen is black and a graphics driver restart does not make any sound which leads me to believe the operating system is not even...
  5. Advanced startup boots into black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advanced startup boots into black screen: I wanned to boot into bios but pressing del on restart in win 11 doesnt work it seems, i tried to use the advanced startup function but that boots me into nothing / black screen so now i have no way to access bios....
  6. Advanced startup boots into black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced startup boots into black screen: I wanned to boot into bios but pressing del on restart in win 11 doesnt work it seems, i tried to use the advanced startup function but that boots me into nothing / black screen so now i have no way to access bios....
  7. Black screen on startup / wake-up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen on startup / wake-up: Hello everyone, It's now been a week that i have this problem, every time i start my pc up i have to disconnect and reconnect my DP cable from the graphics card in order for the screen to show anything, it does detect the pc because it comes out of sleep mode, it just stays...
  8. Black screen/ no boot up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen/ no boot up: Hi, Recently computer stopped booting up. What happens is, I power it on, the flash screen comes up, then it says loading operating system and then it just goes to a black screen and stays like it. This happened ever since i tried to boot into safe mode and upon restart...
  9. Startup boot to black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Startup boot to black screen: ive recently built a new computer and installed windows 10 from the usb media however after a day or so the computer will boot to a black screen several times before give the C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrialtxt error message. I have tried just about everything when I...
  10. Boot loop and black startup screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot loop and black startup screen: Hello I am trying to reinstall win. 10 on my lenovo thinkpad e540. I first tried with creation tool on a 8 gb usb pin that didn't work. Everytime I reached 60% an error message popped up saying it couldn't recognize something. I then made a recovery key on my usb pin...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Asus u50f cant boot windows 10