Windows 10: Can't access the shared files from my desktop?

Discus and support Can't access the shared files from my desktop? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why does my laptop say that I don't have permission to access the shared files from my desktop? It worked last week. It has worked for two decades but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrettDanielson, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Can't access the shared files from my desktop?

Why does my laptop say that I don't have permission to access the shared files from my desktop? It worked last week. It has worked for two decades but every once in a while it decides arbitrarily to pretend that the settings are wrong. But, since no settings are actually wrong, I spend weeks not able to connect until I stumble on some operation that reestablishes the connection.

:)

BrettDanielson, Jan 28, 2019
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. parkgt Win User
    Issue with accessing shared files on Homegroup

Original title: Homegroup Issue

<p>I have a laptop and a desktop both running W10 home.&nbsp; Homegroup on both.&nbsp; Each can see the others shared files, pics, etc..&nbsp; The laptop can access the shares on the desktop.</p><p></p><p>The problem is that when I try to access the shared
    file on the laptop from the desktop I get an error message:

Can't access the shared files from my desktop? 7570a866-eeab-4fe6-8a1a-4e8f6c8bdcfb.jpg

I have tried many solutions from other sites, but they don't related directly to W10. Many of the methods suggested seem to call for steps that cannot be done on W10.

parkgt, Jan 28, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Can't access the shared files from my desktop?

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

Can't access the shared files from my desktop?

1. Can't access the shared files from my desktop? - Similar Threads - Can't access shared

2. Can't access anything from my desktop anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access anything from my desktop anymore: I tried to change settings in my one drive, and now it's completely removed everything from my desktop that was there. When I access the "One Drive Shortcut," it won't let me re-paste things into their location stating that One Drive needs additional storage. I DON'T WANT...
  3. Can't access computer shared file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access computer shared file: I have a computer network LAN and I want to access the shared file from my co-worker's PC, but an error occur and this happens: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-computer-shared-file/a479aa8a-d3fc-4620-a2be-d178f6ec93c8
  4. Can't access computer shared file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access computer shared file: I have a computer network LAN and I want to access the shared file from my co-worker's PC, but an error occur and this happens: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-computer-shared-file/a479aa8a-d3fc-4620-a2be-d178f6ec93c8
  5. Can't access Files on network share from Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access Files on network share from Laptop: I have a Desktop and Laptop on my home network, both are using the same Microsoft account and are on the same Network and can both can be seen on the Network on both computers.I can access the Laptop from the Desktop but I can't access the Desktop from the Laptop.Both have...
  6. Can't Access File Sharing or Network

Can't Access File Sharing or Network: Hello,I'm having a difficult time right now getting my file sharing and Network to run.Im trying to use Roon Audio via a ROCK NUC10i3. I'm at this stephttps://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-os-missing-codecsBut I have nothing showing up in my network drive.I've...
  7. Can't access files on desktop

Can't access files on desktop: Hey! I've been trying to create some space on my computer and under storage it says that my desktop contains 70GB of files, however I only have shortcuts and minor folders with pictures in them. Even when I go into the folder called desktop I cannot see what causes the...
  8. Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network

Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network: I have a desktop PC and a Laptop on my home network. Before 1803, I could share file using the network and sharing option. After the 1803 update when Homegroup was removed I could no longer access the computers in either direction without the Enter Network Credentials...
  9. Can't share files on desktop pc with laptop

Can't share files on desktop pc with laptop: Hi, I'm trying to enable sharing of files located on my win10 (version 1903 OS build 18362.418) desktop pc with my win7 laptop. Instructions https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...over-a-network are: 1. Right-click or press a file, select Give access to > Specific people 2....
  10. Can't share files on desktop pc with laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't share files on desktop pc with laptop: Hi, I'm trying to enable sharing of files located on my win10 (version 1903 OS build 18362.418) desktop pc with my win7 laptop. Instructions https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...over-a-network are: 1. Right-click or press a file, select Give access to > Specific people 2....