Windows 10: Can't activate after replacing hardware

Discus and support Can't activate after replacing hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I have just this afternoon completed the replacement of my husband's mobo, CPU and memory. I've tried activating the pc although I had to change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TraceyW, Jan 26, 2019.

1. TraceyW Win User

Can't activate after replacing hardware

Hi

I have just this afternoon completed the replacement of my husband's mobo, CPU and memory. I've tried activating the pc although I had to change the password but that was eventually completed satifactorily. I then tried activating Windows and was told they couldn't reactivate it. At first it came up with a message to the effect that the servers were unavailable and then when they were available I clicked on "This is the device I am using right now" but still it said it couldn't activate Windows. I followed microsoft's own instructions to the letter but still I am locked out. So my question is: what am I doing wrong?

Any help would be very much appreciated Thanks.

Tracey

:)

TraceyW, Jan 26, 2019

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 wont "Activate" after hardware upgrade

Hi, fcp4life,

Follow the steps listed in this Support Doc.

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/...

If you made a significant hardware change to your device (such as replacing the motherboard), Windows 10 might no longer be activated and you might see the activation error codes 0x803f7001 or 0xC004C008.

If your Original Hardware Manufacturer (OEM) changed the motherboard for you, your PC should reactivate automatically or you should be provided with a replacement product key. If you see the Activation error “Unable to reach Windows activation servers,” then
    follow the steps in this additional help article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/...

Smittychat., Jan 26, 2019
  4. Can't activate after replacing hardware

Windows can´t activate after hardware change.

Hi Elias,

When you make important hardware changes such as replacing the motherboard or hard drive, Windows 10
    is unable to identify your computer correctly. As a result, the operating system won't activate.

To help you resolve your concern, add your Microsoft account and link it to the digital license. You may refer to the steps provided on this

link
    . The link has steps on how to add your Microsoft account and use the Activation troubleshooter.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to let us know.

Raymond Ave, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

Can't activate after replacing hardware

1. Can't activate after replacing hardware - Similar Threads - Can't activate replacing

2. Can't re-activate windows after replacing hardware.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't re-activate windows after replacing hardware.: Hi MS,Please check why I can't re-activate my windows after replacing HW mainboard and cpu. I can see new device in my MS account, however it's not active in windows settings. Kindly advise troubleshoot steps. Thank you!...
  3. Can't re-activate windows after replacing hardware.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't re-activate windows after replacing hardware.: Hi MS,Please check why I can't re-activate my windows after replacing HW mainboard and cpu. I can see new device in my MS account, however it's not active in windows settings. Kindly advise troubleshoot steps. Thank you!...
  4. Can't activate Win 11 after replacing Hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Win 11 after replacing Hardware: Hi.I bought a Windows 8 Pro from Microsoft a few years ago.This was installed on a self built PC and upgraded to Windows 10 later. Activation went ok.I then upgraded my PC to a new built end of 2021. I used the installed woindows by booting from the SSD drive I did not...
  5. Can't activate Win 11 after replacing Hardware

Can't activate Win 11 after replacing Hardware: Hi.I bought a Windows 8 Pro from Microsoft a few years ago.This was installed on a self built PC and upgraded to Windows 10 later. Activation went ok.I then upgraded my PC to a new built end of 2021. I used the installed woindows by booting from the SSD drive I did not...
  6. [solved]--can't activate windows after replacing hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    [solved]--can't activate windows after replacing hardware: i bought windows 10 home. I installed it on dell vostro 3670. my computer is broken. I have replaced the motherboard and the hard drive. now I can't activate windows can't find product key. I don't save purchase email. order history doesn't contain product key. i signed in...
  7. can't activate windows after replacing hardware

can't activate windows after replacing hardware: i bought windows 10 home. I installed it on dell vostro 3670. my computer is broken. I have replaced the motherboard and the hard drive. now I can't activate windows can't find product key. I don't save purchase email. order history doesn't contain product key. i signed in...
  8. can't activate windows after replacing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't activate windows after replacing hardware: i bought windows 10 home. I installed it on dell vostro 3670. my computer is broken. I have replaced the motherboard and the hard drive. now I can't activate windows can't find product key. I don't save purchase email. order history doesn't contain product key. i signed in...
  9. can't activate windows after replacing hardware

10. activation after hardware replacement

activation after hardware replacement: yesterday i replaced my mobo, cpu, ram and psu, my harddrive stayed the same. after the replacement i performed a system recovery. Now there is a mark that says: "activate windows." I used the troubleshoot option but it didn't work....