Windows 10: Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

Discus and support Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by d00msword, Jul 30, 2015.

1. d00msword Win User

Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

Hello,

I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7.
    I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it.
    The actions I did:

1. Install win7 on virtual machine.
    2. Activate it with a key and update.
    3. Installing the upgrade with the iso file inside the os.
    4. Installed win10 and it was activate.
    5. Got the product key with KeyFinder.
    6. Format the HDD and installed clean Windows 10 with the ISO file.
    7. Tried to activate the clean os with the key I got with KeyFinder.
    8. Got an error that the key cannot be activated (0xC004C003)

What can I do to activate it?

:)

d00msword, Jul 30, 2015

2. Asked for a Win10 activation key when I updated from my Win7 Pro OEM

You have to reinstall your Win7 OEM and upgrade to Win10 from your old windows.

Good luck.

p/s: After upgraded to Win10 and active it, you can do a clean install without product key.

TrungPham1511, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 winload.exe error 0xc000000f

This did not work for me. I get the error on first reboot after upgrading win7 to 10. This was a clean activated win7 install on a new SSD. I downloaded all windows updates on win7 before upgrading.

I have also tried running chkdsk /r/f on all partitions.

ThomasDAndersen, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Akane Win User

You don't need key to active windows 10,When you install the windows and when the in put key popup you should press SKIP

Akane, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Nait Win User
    Hi, same happened to me on wed but I did press skip and windows 10 was activated after the upgrade, then I did a clean install via USB and it's not activated yet, should I go back to win 8.1 and try again the whole process? Thanks

6. baggadap Win User
    Let me guess - key ends with -3V66T? That's a generic key wich does not activate Windows unless your hardware is recognized by activation server -wich it should as you were activated before clean install. Same thing happened to me - all we can do is wait a few days, and if it does not activate, contact support.

baggadap, Jul 30, 2015
  7. d00msword Win User
    The key doesn't end with this text.
    I think maybe I should contact support.

d00msword, Jul 30, 2015
  8. no1yak Win User

I updated my win 7 pro via the ISO file, had no problems with 10 activation. I then did a clean install and when the serial number box came up I clicked skip, then the same box reappeared and I clicked skip again. 10 installed without problems and I checked to see if it was activated and it was.

The only thing I'm getting is loads of warnings and errors in event viewer but 10 seems stable and I've had no BSOD or anything else.

no1yak, Jul 30, 2015
  9. d00msword Win User
    I fixed it.
    The things I did:

1. Install win7.
    2. Activate it and log in to your Microsoft account.
    3. Upgrade to win10 inside the OS and skip everything at the setup.
    4. Log in to the account after you see that the OS is activated.
    5. Download KeyFinder and save the product key for later.
    6. Take the product key and activate it again.
    7. Do a clean install, skip the product key but log into the account.
    8. See if the OS is activated but anyways, activate the OS with the product key.

I don't know what they did and if the product key is good but I did this and now the OS is activated.

d00msword, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7 - Similar Threads - Can't activate clean

2. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating: Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key.... It was activated before I did the clean...
  6. Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting

Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting: Some months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro. I recently did a clean install, spent hrs setting up the system the way I wanted and then received a prompt about activation. After this I did another clean install of Windows 10 Pro N with the same result. No...
  7. Clean install on a desktop that had an Win7 Pro upgrade from XP Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on a desktop that had an Win7 Pro upgrade from XP Pro: A couple weeks ago I finally got around to installing Win10 over the top of Win7 Pro. It is not running very well. Not terrible but it seems to be a little slow and I'm thinking I'd rather do a clean install. I have already backed up my data files and also have a disk image...
  8. Clean Install after upgrade from 7 don't work !! Can't activate the OS

Clean Install after upgrade from 7 don't work !! Can't activate the OS: Hello, I have upgraded my 7 install to Windows 10 this morning. All works fine & 10 says my copy is genuine and validated. After that, I decided to create a copy of 10 install on DVD with the Windows 10 tool. At lauch of install, Windows doesn't recognize my old 7 key. I...
  9. Can't activate windows after clean install

Can't activate windows after clean install: I just did a 'clean' install of Win 10 Pro 64bit on to my old Win 7 Pro 64bit HDD so that I could migrate my wife's Win 10 Pro 32bit apps and programs over the the 64bit OS. First, I thought 'clean' meant also formatting the HDD because it didn't. I find all my old...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....