Windows 10: Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements.

Discus and support Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Long story short I have had a slew of motherboard issues with my PC so I've had to replace the MOBO several times and now windows won't activate. I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/caged14, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements.

Long story short I have had a slew of motherboard issues with my PC so I've had to replace the MOBO several times and now windows won't activate. I was under the impression that the digital license I purchased from the MS store was tied to my MS account but I suppose this situation says otherwise. Will MS Tech Support help me at all with this issue? Can they unlink my key from the previous boards I went through? Or am I gonna have to throw down on another $140 key?

submitted by /u/caged14
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/caged14, Nov 10, 2019

2. Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Thank sir for your response. I have gone from the above link.In this I found that if window came pre-installed and if I made change for motherboard after Linking my Microsoft account with windows digital license then I can reactivate my genuine window.

Sir if link content is verified then I think I can go for motherboard replacement.

NitinAgrawal21, Nov 10, 2019
  3. M. Hamer Win User
    Troubleshoot activation errors in Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement or entering a Volume License key

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

We have a troubleshooter that can help with certain activation errors you might get:

• If your PC’s manufacturer replaced your motherboard under warranty

• Activation Error 0x803F7001

• If you entered a Volume License product key

Note For these errors, you will need a valid (non-Volume License) product key for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 to finish the activation.

• 0x8007007B

• 0xC004E016

• 0x8007232B

• 0xC004F074

• 0xC004F038

Before trying the troubleshooter, make sure you are on the most current version of Windows 10. From Start, select
    Settings, then choose System, and then press
    About
    . You should see Version 1511 listed. If you don’t see it, then click
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update and click
    Check for updates.

Once you know you’re on version 1511, download and run the troubleshooter:
    http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg79558

If you had one of the Volume License key errors, you will be asked for a new key after the troubleshooter runs.

If you have trouble running the troubleshooter, please reply below.
    If you have another Activation issue, please post in the Download, Install and Activation folder of the Windows 10 support forum.

Results in Windows - Microsoft Community

Details

Activation errors after motherboard replacement

Starting with Windows 8 and continuing with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, most PC manufactures are injecting their Windows product key into the motherboard of the PC.
    This allows the PC to activate automatically when you first boot up the PC and to re-activate if the PC is ever reset or needs a clean install.
    The product key in the motherboard is edition-specific and will only activate that edition of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.).

When the motherboard is replaced under warranty, Windows will detect a hardware change and look for the new product key that was included in the replaced motherboard.
    Sometimes the new product key is not retrieved by Windows, and you get
    Activation Error 0x803F7001
    . The troubleshooter will ask Windows to re- try retrieving the product key from the new motherboard and activated it.

Correcting the mistake of entering a Global Volume License key

The troubleshooter also corrects a second, less common issue.
    If you searched the web, you might have found and entered a Global Volume License (GVL) Key.
    GVL Keys only work for PCs in an Enterprise environment where the administrator has setup this system of licensing.
    If you mistakenly entered a GVL Key, you PC will no longer accept regular product keys, and will give the activation error 0x8007007B (or even 0xC004E016, 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038).
    This troubleshooter will identify the GVL Key and replace it with a regular retail default key.
    Your PC will not activate yet, but now will accept normal retail and OEM product keys.

M. Hamer, Nov 10, 2019
  4. kdlst Win User

Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements.

Windows 10 Digital Access Not Activating After Replacing Motherboard

I have a copy of Windows 10 Home, that I got for free via the upgrade program when Windows 10 came out. I kept my digital entitlement key info written down just in case I ever needed it.

I've recently had to replace both my motherboard and my GPU on my computer (but not my hard drives) and I guess that is enough of a significant change that windows is now asking me to reactivate.

The xxxx'd out product key seems to match the digital key that I kept written down (the last 5 alphanumerics are the same), but when I try and put it into the troubleshooter and to reactivate, it just tells me "Windows can't activate at this time, try activating
    again later. Error code: 0x8007251E".

When I try and choose "troubleshoot" to fix the problem, it keeps telling me that it can't find any devices linked to my account, but when I open up my microsoft account it shows me both my old motherboard and the name of my PC and my new motherboard and
    name of my PC?

Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements. 8496e134-2c1f-4976-a4b8-915893d72669?upload=true.png

How do I get windows to re-accept my digital entitlement key? What's the point of giving this free copy of windows 10 if I'm not going to be able to have it accepted if I change my motherboard? Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements. :(

kdlst, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements.

1. Can't activate digital key of Windows 10 on PC after a number of motherboard replacements. - Similar Threads - Can't activate digital

2. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  3. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  4. Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.: i recently had a motherboard failure and had to move my hdd to another pc to get back up and running. I am now seeing an error saying to activate my copy of windows. This was a free upgrade from 7 to 10 on the Microsoft website so I don't have an activation code to put in....
  5. Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.: Dear Sir, Sir currently I am facing problem with my laptop.I contacted the retailer he advised me to go for new motherboard in this laptop.Since my laptop has genuine window.So I am in fear of loosing genuine window.Is there any way of preserving my genuine window.So that...
  6. activating windows after motherboard replacement

activating windows after motherboard replacement: Hello, I bought somewhere in the beginning of this year a new windows 10 license, digitally through the windows store, to install it on my new computer, 2 weeks ago my motherboard broke down and needed to be replaced. Now I am unable to activate it with the new motherboard....
  7. Windows 10 Digital Access Not Activating After Replacing Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Digital Access Not Activating After Replacing Motherboard: I have a copy of Windows 10 Home, that I got for free via the upgrade program when Windows 10 came out. I kept my digital entitlement key info written down just in case I ever needed it. I've recently had to replace both my motherboard and my GPU on my computer (but not my...
  8. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard Replacement

Activate Windows 10 after motherboard Replacement: My old PC failed so I put my hard drive into another PC. Upon booting I get a message to "Activate Windows". My original installation was done online so I don't have Product Key so how do I resolve this without having to buy a new copy?...
  9. Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement

Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement: I got my computer professionally built just over a month ago but had to get them to replace a faulty motherboard. Unfortunately its now not allowing me activate Windows. I definitely activated it before the motherboard broke and its definitely attached to my account (I can...
  10. Windows 10 not activating after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 not activating after motherboard replacement.: Hello. My old motherboard failed on me and after replacing it windows 10 will not activate. I have a digital windows 10 license for this machine. Is there anything I can do? Error code 0x803F7001...