Windows 10: Can't activate my OEM Licence

Discus and support Can't activate my OEM Licence in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have trouble to activate my OEM Licence. I have built my new PC and ordered a Windows 10 Pro OEM Licence. Since I don't have an optical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Martin_To, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Martin_To Win User

Can't activate my OEM Licence

Hi,

I have trouble to activate my OEM Licence.

I have built my new PC and ordered a Windows 10 Pro OEM Licence. Since I don't have an optical drive for the DVD, I used the Media Creation Tool and made a USB-installation. However, when trying to activate my licence key which I have on my DVD package, it says the key is invalid. This happens both upon installation and later when trying to activate once the OS is installed.

Do I have to install using the DVD when it is an OEM licence on my newly built PC?

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

:)

Martin_To, Mar 4, 2021
  2. Thedefh Win User

Windows 10 OEM licence and activation

Hello,

I have several questions the licence and activation:

Can you legally buy used (and decactivated) windows 10 OEM licences and use them with a PC different from what it was supplied with?

Lets assume I bought such licence and the activation was successful on such a machine - does it mean I can continue and legally use the OS?

I read that there was a 'system builder' clause when using OEM licences that lets you transfer said licences to different machies if you take the OEM responsibility on yourself.

If it's not possible with windows 10 OEM is it possible with any other OEM version of windows such as windows 7 or 8?

Thanks,

Thedefh, Mar 4, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Activation vs. OEM key

Hi Heaunohj[2

The difference between a full Retail licence and an OEM licence is, a Retail licence can later be transferred to a new motherboard or PC, an OEM licence once it is activated on a motherboard, it is locked to that motherboard and cannot be transferred.

If you are going t purchase a Windows 10 licence, it is much better in the long term to purchase a full retail licence, it is a bit dearer than an OEM licence, but will work out much cheaper in the long run . . .

DaveM121, Mar 4, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 OEM licence and activation

Hi Thedefh,

Typically used OEM licences will not activate on another system, since they are tied to the original motherboard of the system they were originally installed and activated on . . .

If you could get that to activate on another system, then there is not reason why you could not continue to use it on that system, but I doubt you will get it to activate . . .

DaveM121, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't activate my OEM Licence - Similar Threads - Can't activate OEM

2. Unable to activate OEM Licence on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate OEM Licence on Windows 11: Hello support team,We are unable to activate our Windows 10 OEM licenses when transferring them to Windows 11.Step that leads to the error: -We open Powershell as administrator and run the following commands: "$GetDigitalLicence = Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from...
  3. Unable to activate OEM Licence on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to activate OEM Licence on Windows 11: Hello support team,We are unable to activate our Windows 10 OEM licenses when transferring them to Windows 11.Step that leads to the error: -We open Powershell as administrator and run the following commands: "$GetDigitalLicence = Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from...
  4. WIndows OEM licencing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows OEM licencing: WIndows 10 PRO oem upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. What impact has this on a licencing ? Is an E3 lincence needed for this if these devices is in a small LAN enviroment with no enviroment Azure or AD...
  5. Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.: I had in my PC retail licence. I need change to OEM. So i bought OEM licence. When i format my PC and then try to install WIN again and type the OEM licence code, after install when i check version in CMD through slmgr.vbs /dlv. I always end in Retail. Can someone help me...
  6. Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.: I had in my PC retail licence. I need change to OEM. So i bought OEM licence. When i format my PC and then try to install WIN again and type the OEM licence code, after install when i check version in CMD through slmgr.vbs /dlv. I always end in Retail. Can someone help me...
  7. Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. OEM Licences

OEM Licences: I have a registered non-oem license for win 10 pro and an OEM win 10 pro on a newer laptop. I cannot access the original details as the hdd gave up. Is there any way to obtain the original registration details from Microsoft? Can a retail licence activate an oem on a new...
  9. oem licence

oem licence: somehow my windows 10 product id has been changed. i dont know how to get my original OEM product id. help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-licence/7a0f0577-11cb-4d23-8bf6-9f1fc4da58f2
  10. OEM Licence

OEM Licence: I have two question about my Windows 10 OS 1st- Since I'm willing to replace my HP damaged motherboard with a same HP model (used but working) motherboard, does my Windows licence expires due to internal serial number or version of the replace motherboard? 2nd- Suppose I...