Windows 10: Can't activate new hardware replacing activated, upgraded win10

Discus and support Can't activate new hardware replacing activated, upgraded win10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My retail Win 8 pro went through upgrades to 8.1 and 10, and is/was fully activated and attached to my MS account. Changing the hardware, I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by davebrower, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Can't activate new hardware replacing activated, upgraded win10

My retail Win 8 pro went through upgrades to 8.1 and 10, and is/was fully activated and attached to my MS account.

Changing the hardware, I can't reactivate, getting error c004c003.

On using slui, and calling, I'm told I cannot activate the current product key -- that is activated on the old hardware, and need to find the ancient original windows 8 key, or they can't do anything.

It appears that in the course of upgrades, the original key has cheerfully been lost, and I'm told -- rudely -- that it's my problem to find the hardcopy from somewhere near 2012.

This is not making me happy in the least, having bothered to buy a retail copy in the first place to avoid this kind of problem.

Is this really the case -- you have to keep the hardcopy forever?

:)

davebrower, Apr 3, 2019
  2. Hodakiin Win User

Win10 won't activate after RAM change

Hey! I replaced my old RAM cards with two new ones, and now I'm stuck with a "activate windows" prompt in the bottom right corner of my screen. The troubleshooter does not seem to do anything (tried checking the changed hardware option + chose my device
    in the list of devices + it said win10 was now activated.... but the prompt won't leave.)

I got win10 during the free upgrade period, and thus I don't have a product key... Any suggestions?

Hodakiin, Apr 3, 2019
  3. red454 Win User
    Activation after new hardware upgrades?

Right - my point was to see what would happen if I tried the OS from one system on a totally different motherboard, and it went better than I expected, other than the activation - which I expected. I did chat with a Microsoft rep today online and he confirmed that after the hardware upgrade on a free Win10 upgrade that they (Mircosoft) will have to remote access my system to verify the proper key, etc. before they can reactivate it.

red454, Apr 3, 2019
  4. Can't activate new hardware replacing activated, upgraded win10

Activation after Hardware upgrade win10

Hi

I plan to upgrade my SSD from a128G to a 1T

I believe win10 is activated against some kind of a hash of the product key obtained using a signature hardware config.

Would It be possibleto activate windows after the upgrade??

Regards

SJ

ShinuJohn1989, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

Can't activate new hardware replacing activated, upgraded win10

1. Can't activate new hardware replacing activated, upgraded win10 - Similar Threads - Can't activate hardware

2. Can't activate windows on new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate windows on new hardware: I can't activate windows 10 after hardware change. I recently changed my motherboard and installed a new windows system on a NVMe, i therefore have two windows systems old on SSD - new on NVMe, but on the same microsoft account. When i try to "re-activate" windows it doesn't...
  3. can't activate windows after replacing hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't activate windows after replacing hardware: i bought windows 10 home. I installed it on dell vostro 3670. my computer is broken. I have replaced the motherboard and the hard drive. now I can't activate windows can't find product key. I don't save purchase email. order history doesn't contain product key. i signed in...
  4. can't activate windows after replacing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't activate windows after replacing hardware: i bought windows 10 home. I installed it on dell vostro 3670. my computer is broken. I have replaced the motherboard and the hard drive. now I can't activate windows can't find product key. I don't save purchase email. order history doesn't contain product key. i signed in...
  5. can't activate windows after replacing hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. hardware replaced and windows not activating

hardware replaced and windows not activating: hellothe harddrive was replaced but now windows is not activating- i tried all the ways which mention on microsft page but failed. i installed showkeyplus and get the key but that also not working. initially i had windws 8 and later microsoft gave option to upgrade to windows...
  7. activation after hardware replacement

activation after hardware replacement: yesterday i replaced my mobo, cpu, ram and psu, my harddrive stayed the same. after the replacement i performed a system recovery. Now there is a mark that says: "activate windows." I used the troubleshoot option but it didn't work....
  8. Can't activate after replacing hardware

Can't activate after replacing hardware: Hi I have just this afternoon completed the replacement of my husband's mobo, CPU and memory. I've tried activating the pc although I had to change the password but that was eventually completed satifactorily. I then tried activating Windows and was told they couldn't...
  9. Activation after new hardware upgrades?

Activation after new hardware upgrades?: I have 4 systems to maintain - all had Win7 Ultimate 64bit, and all upgraded (free) to Win10 Pro successfully. Toward the end of this year, all 4 systems will have new motherboards, CPUs, memory and possibly SSDs. I understand that major hardware changes will cause a...
  10. Replacing hardware/activation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing hardware/activation?: The short story is motherboards Asrock AliveNF6G-VSTA ddr2 and Gigabyte GA 790X-UD3 ddr2 simply aren't supported and there are definitely win10 failures with chipset compatibility on these two boards. I've activated both boards through MS free win 10 upgrade ( both have...