Windows 10: Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

Discus and support Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I changed my Motherboard, RAM and CPU, and I couldn't reactivate Windows 10 Pro. I don't have a Pro Key, just an upgrade from Home License. So I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bertram Englert, May 26, 2023.

1. Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

I changed my Motherboard, RAM and CPU, and I couldn't reactivate Windows 10 Pro. I don't have a Pro Key, just an upgrade from Home License. So I reinstalled Windows to Home Edition and now want to upgrade it from previously bought Upgrade License in Windows Store. In the Troubleshoot it says that there should be a Free Upgrade Button after I bought it once, but it asks for full Retail Price again. There was no Upgrade Key from the official store, the first upgrade worked without it.Both the Home and Upgrade to Pro License are on the same account as this account and bought on the official Mic

:)

Bertram Englert, May 26, 2023

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 26, 2023
  3. Upgrading a previously upgraded laptop to Windows 10 Pro

My client had bought a number of Lenovo laptops that had Windows 10 Home which we then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro by purchasing the upgrade license from the store. Worked fine...

However, I've had to re-install Windows 10 on one of them and the usual process I follow is:

• Install Windows 10 from USB stick downloaded from Microsoft
    • This installs Windows 10 Home as expected as it's querying the BIOS to get the OEM key
    • Use the widely published VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T key to install a trial of Windows 10 Pro
    • On reboot and logging in using the account originally used to purchase the upgrade, Windows 10 Pro automatically activates

But on this one particular laptop, Window 10 refuses the key at step 10 and reports:

Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade a18e7440-c6dd-4f1c-835a-acc3124aa22d?upload=true.png

My suspicion maybe is that a different Microsoft account to the one I'm using was used to carry out the update. I've got the OEM key from the BIOS.

How do I approach Microsoft to see if they have any record of this OEM key being upgraded in their database and maybe which account was used?

Drop me a private message and I can supply the OEM key.

Rob-Nicholson-Helios, May 26, 2023
  4. Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

Bought Windows 10 Pro upgrade, clicked on the Start Upgrade icon and it fails.

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better:

• Do you have wired or wireless internet connection?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on the system?
    • Are you trying to upgrade from the Microsoft account?
    • Did you activate your copy of Windows 10?

I suggest you to follow these steps below:

1. In your Windows 10 Home PC, open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Activation on the left side, and click/tap on Go to Store on the right side.

3. Click/tap on Start upgrade to begin.

4. Windows will now start preparing for upgrade.

5. When finished preparing, your Windows will automatically restart and start upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

6. When finished upgrading, sign back in to your Microsoft account profile, and click/tap on Close.

You can also verify, if you have Windows 10 pro version, by following these steps below:

• Press Windows key+ R keys to open RUN command box.
    • Type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

Further, you can download the Windows 10 pro ISO file and perform a clean install, using the product key, which you have. Also I like to inform, to activate your copy of Windows 10.

Try to refer to the Microsoft article below and check, if it resolves the issue.

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro:

Upgrade Windows Home to Windows Pro - Microsoft Support

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, May 26, 2023
Thema:

Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

1. Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade - Similar Threads - Can't activate previously

2. Can't Activate Windows 11 because I previously bought Windows 10 and got the upgrade -- How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Windows 11 because I previously bought Windows 10 and got the upgrade -- How...: I bought Windows 10 for a lot of money -- £189 several years ago. I have this on my MS account, You will see on my purchase history I bought Windows 10 Professional, but the details of this purchase are no longer available maybe they expire after a certain amount of time?...
  3. Can't Activate Windows 11 because I previously bought Windows 10 and got the upgrade -- How...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Activate Windows 11 because I previously bought Windows 10 and got the upgrade -- How...: I bought Windows 10 for a lot of money -- £189 several years ago. I have this on my MS account, You will see on my purchase history I bought Windows 10 Professional, but the details of this purchase are no longer available maybe they expire after a certain amount of time?...
  4. Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade: I changed my Motherboard, RAM and CPU, and I couldn't reactivate Windows 10 Pro. I don't have a Pro Key, just an upgrade from Home License. So I reinstalled Windows to Home Edition and now want to upgrade it from previously bought Upgrade License in Windows Store. In the...
  5. Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate previously bought Windows 10 Pro Upgrade: I changed my Motherboard, RAM and CPU, and I couldn't reactivate Windows 10 Pro. I don't have a Pro Key, just an upgrade from Home License. So I reinstalled Windows to Home Edition and now want to upgrade it from previously bought Upgrade License in Windows Store. In the...
  6. I bought the upgrade from windows 10 home to pro, but I can't activate it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I bought the upgrade from windows 10 home to pro, but I can't activate it.: Like the title says, today I bought the windows 10 upgrade from home to pro on the Microsoft store. I didn't receive a product key or digital license and I did upgrade my RAM few months ago. How can I activate my new copy of windows 10 if necessary. Thanks....
  7. Can't activate or upgrade Windows 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't activate or upgrade Windows 10 home to pro: I just installed Windows 10 home. Then found out my key is for Win 10 Pro. Tried to activate it but always get the 0xC004F050 error. It is a Windows Pro retail code so it should work, right? Tried the workaround with the default code VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T to upgrade...
  8. Just bought Windows 10 Pro upgrade for $99 and I can't figure out how to activate it.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Just bought Windows 10 Pro upgrade for $99 and I can't figure out how to activate it.: I just bought the Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft Store, and now for some reason windows is telling me "Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code: 0xC004F213" I am currently logged into my microsoft account I bought it on, and I have...
  9. Bought upgrade to Pro, got Enterprise which can't be activated

Bought upgrade to Pro, got Enterprise which can't be activated: Hi, I bought Lenovo laptop with preinstalled Windows 10 Home edition. In Microsoft Store bought upgrade to Pro. Now I ended up with edition reading Enterprise and unable to activate due to 0xC0004F025 error. What is very frustrating, I've got no product key to upgraded...
  10. Windows activation for previously purchased windows 10 Pro

Windows activation for previously purchased windows 10 Pro: Hello: Back in 2017, I upgraded my system to windows 10 Pro from windows home. Things worked great til Hard drive died. Can reinstall windows but I need the activation code from when I purchased the upgrade. I have the transaction code and the method of payment. How...