Windows 10: Can’t activate win 10 with original product key

Discus and support Can’t activate win 10 with original product key in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I updated my girlfriends old laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and now it tells me to activate windows, but when i try to use the old key printed on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Frozen-bones, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Can’t activate win 10 with original product key

I updated my girlfriends old laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and now it tells me to activate windows, but when i try to use the old key printed on the bottom of the laptop it just gives me a error message. Could the key be to old?

submitted by /u/Frozen-bones
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Frozen-bones, Aug 8, 2020

2. Activate windows 10 after re-installing (I have lost my product key)

I own a Lenovo T430 laptop. In 2017, I installed Windows 10 using my original Windows 7 product key. Unfortunately, I cannot find that product key anymore. I need to re-install windows 10. Will it be automatically activated after the installation, if I skip the step of asking the product key during the installation?

In my opinion, I believe that my laptop will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers and this will not be a problem. Is that true?

If not, please suggest me a solution or a workaround.

Kushan Randima, Aug 8, 2020
  3. Find original win 8 product keys used?

That key should still be usable to install 8.1. Technically, since you used it to install Windows 10, if you use it to install Windows 8.1, you should stop using the version of Windows 10 you activated with it. As far as I know though, its not enforced in any manner.
    I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 Pro (MSDN Retail key) to windows 10 Pro. Then months latter, reinstalled 8.1 Pro with the original key on that laptop. It activated with no issues. I then clean installed 10 Pro on that same laptop with a skip key and it activated with no issues. The 8.1 key was not blacklisted etc. I don't "think" its tied to the Windows 10 activation in any way. No way of proving it though.
    I keep a detailed list of what product keys I've used on what PC. Windows and office etc. Saves me from any guess work latter on. *Wink
    Then if I have to reinstall a previous OS I can use the original key and not worry about activation issues.

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Can’t activate win 10 with original product key

Why was I not asked for a product key when upgrading to Win 10?

According to your spec you have Win 10 Pro, but perhaps that doesn't reflect your PC.

You haven't stated which edition of Win 10 you have on this machine, nor what your Win 10 key is for.

For example, if you already have Win 10 Pro and your key is Win 10 Home, that would be a retrograde step.

For interest only:
    Change Product Key in Windows 10

More on product key if you search this list or look at 'Related Tutorials' in the above.
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index

dalchina, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Can’t activate win 10 with original product key

1. Can’t activate win 10 with original product key - Similar Threads - Can’t activate original

2. Can’t activate product key or update windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can’t activate product key or update windows 10: A few months ago I had used a hwid spoofer and I haven't been able to update my pc and it says my product key is missing. I bought a key yesterday but it says the key is invalid.The trouble shooter has the error0x80004005. I haven't been able to fix it so if anyone can help...
  3. Can’t activate product key or update windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t activate product key or update windows 10: A few months ago I had used a hwid spoofer and I haven't been able to update my pc and it says my product key is missing. I bought a key yesterday but it says the key is invalid.The trouble shooter has the error0x80004005. I haven't been able to fix it so if anyone can help...
  4. Can’t activate product key or update windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. regarding my activation of original product key in my windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    regarding my activation of original product key in my windows 10: Hi I am Mihir actually my windows 10 was corrupted due to virus so I had reinstalled it form the repair store, but since I was unaware that if I have licensed key so there is no need to add a product key when the windows ask for product key during reinstallation we had to...
  6. Win 10 Pro Activation Product Key

Win 10 Pro Activation Product Key: I did the Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate. Installation went well. However, I wanted to not be under a digital license, so I bought a Windows 10 Pro License from Amazon. Using the product key from Amazon gives me an error stating I should buy a real copy of...
  7. Win 10 activation - no product key

Win 10 activation - no product key: Trying to activate win10 after M'board change but it won't work as it cannot find product key; I took the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 so don't have a key - how can I Activate Windows? Thanks!...
  8. Re-Activating Win 10 Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-Activating Win 10 Product Key: Hello... Yes my Question is... Recently I had to change my Main/Mother Board... after hooking up & reconnecting everything... loading new board drivers etc... windows then said my Product key was no good along with i would need to reactivate it... So I went to settings......
  9. Windows 10 Needs Activation. Original Product Key not working

Windows 10 Needs Activation. Original Product Key not working: I bought this laptop four years back, when Windows still hadn't come out with 10. With 8.1, I updated to 10 and thus have no clue what my product key is. Following other threads, I found my product key and tried re-activating it. The error which comes is that the product key...
  10. Find original win 8 product keys used?

Find original win 8 product keys used?: I entered a few unused retail Win 8 product keys on clean installs to activate Win 10 before July 29th. Is there anyway I could find the underlying product key for each of my systems? 61015