Windows 10: Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.

Discus and support Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Please assist. Per Microsoft guidance deleted old "computer" from MS account and then installed windows 10 on new HD - now can't activate through MS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JimLynch7, Jul 10, 2021.

1. JimLynch7 Win User

Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.

Please assist. Per Microsoft guidance deleted old "computer" from MS account and then installed windows 10 on new HD - now can't activate through MS acct sign in. Says the key is invalid...can't find...Big Red Ltrs! Also tried using my old Win7 Key - nope. I have been a Windows Insider for years. Very frustrating - trying to get this updated to ensure system isn't vulnerable to attack :

:)

JimLynch7, Jul 10, 2021

2. Install Windows 10 on new hard drive.

Hi Arzlo,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Please be informed that you cannot install the activated Windows 10 on to the new hard disk.

If you are replacing the hard disk then you may get Windows 10 activation errors.

If you are purchasing a new hard disk then, you may have to install genuine Windows 7 (SP1)/8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 to get Windows 10 activated.

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER
      :
    chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 Q&A.

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 10, 2021
  3. little cat, Jul 10, 2021
  4. Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.

Problems installing new hard drive

Hello,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 10, 2021
Thema:

Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.

1. Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install. - Similar Threads - Can't activate hard

2. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  3. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  4. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.: Hello,I had issues with my hard drive and just installed a new one. I reinstalled windows 7 and I have the upgrade for Windows 10. However, I can't activate my windows anymore and the number on the windows activation screen doesn't work.Is there a way I can activate my...
  6. Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation: I recently installed a new Hard Drive in my Dell Latitude E6540. After Installing Windows I was prompted to activate, and went through the process of running troubleshoot, and 'I changed hardware on this device recently.' The device options do not include the device I'm...
  7. windows activation after new hard disk installation

windows activation after new hard disk installation: i had replaced and installed a new hard disk after the old one crashed, now there appears to be a message after logging in the system " ypur windows licence will expire soon". i had downloaded a copy from microsoft and had subsequently logged into the microsoft account so...
  8. activating windows 10 after new hard drive installation - no product code available

activating windows 10 after new hard drive installation - no product code available: Last year I had a new hard drive installed on my computer. The dealer installed Windows 10 at the time. I´m now getting a message that I need to Activate Windows 10 but I do not have a product code. I´ve gone through the online help several times and still can´t seem to...
  9. Can't locate DVD drive after clean installation of windows 10 on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't locate DVD drive after clean installation of windows 10 on a new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I bought a new drive and installed a valid copy of windows 10 on the new drive. I have two DVD drives, but the device manager can only find one and the one it finds is always on the same SATA cable i.e. which ever one I attach. I know that both...
  10. Can't restore Windows after installing new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't restore Windows after installing new hard drive: I have a HP Split 13-m110dx x2 laptop running Windows 10 Home version 1903. Upon startup, I receive a disk error that my solid-state drive was failing. I ordered a new drive same model, backed up my files and created a recovery disk. After swapping out the ssd drive, I...