Windows 10: Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD

Discus and support Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, My computer's SSD failed, and I just bought a SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. However, it is not activated. I originally had Windows 7,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bcodemz, Dec 26, 2015.

1. bcodemz Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD

Hi,

My computer's SSD failed, and I just bought a SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. However, it is not activated. I originally had Windows 7, then installed Windows 8 Pro, then upgraded to Windows 10. This is all legal.

However, I ran a BIOS product key checker on my computer, and it shows that I don't have a product key in my BIOS. Is there anything I can do?

This is also quite an old machine (from 2007), would it support BIOS product key?

Any help?

:)

bcodemz, Dec 26, 2015

2. To be filled by o.e.m. problem

Hi, I've installed free version of windows 10 pro in december on HDD and got my activation number.

But when I look in MCA my device has listed as " To be filled by o.e.m."

That's now a problem because I want to replace HDD with SSD but can't activate windows installed on SSD.

MCA seems can't activate it through digitally stored licence.

Is there anyway to resolve this situation?

Tnx in advance

SiniPhilips, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Vecho123 Win User
    Replacing harddrive

Hi i am replacing my HDD harddrive that contains licensed windows 10,with SSD hard drive,is there any way to get back activation license of my windows 10 after replacing hard drive

Vecho123, Dec 26, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What version of Windows 10 did you install?

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2015
  5. bcodemz Win User
    I installed both the home edition and now the pro edition. I'm pretty sure I installed Windows 8 pro before, because my school license is for a pro version.

What's worrying me more is that there is no product key in my BIOS! Therefore I'm not even sure if I can install Windows 8 pro again and then upgrade.

Oh also, my computer did not upgrade to Windows 10 November edition, but the ISO I installed from did.

bcodemz, Dec 26, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    sounds like you are going to have to find/obtain a legitimate Windows 7/8/8.1/10 product key.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2015
  7. cereberus Win User
    Do you still have the 8 pro key?

If so, you can activate 10 PRO using 8 PRO key (assuming you have a full 8 pro key and not an upgrade key).

cereberus, Dec 27, 2015
  8. Superfly Win User

Upgrade keys are fine (on version 1511) as well.

Superfly, Dec 27, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also, you can run any Windows 7/8/8.1 product key you might have through Superfly's showkeyplus using the check product key option and it will tell you what version of Windows it is for:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Dec 27, 2015
  10. cereberus Win User
    Used showkeyplus on an oem vista pc, upgraded to windows 7 using an upgrade key, and then upgraded to windows 10.

Showkeyplus reported oem vista marker, the upgrade key and the generic 10 key.

Now seemed odd to me was that it showed the upgrade key as 7 Home Retail but did not define it as an upgrade key (maybe this is correct behaviour).

Now I wanted to download a windows 7 iso with sp1, in case I needed to reinstall windows 7 as original disk was initial release ie pre sp1.

So I used the 7 upgrade key om MS site, and it was accepted, but told me to choose a language, and only option was KOREAN, and yet my upgrade disk was multi-language!

I am puzzled now how my original upgrade ever worked. Any thoughts?

cereberus, Dec 28, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    What Microsoft website were you trying to download Windows 7 from?

I just tried this one:
    Windows 7

I have a Home Premium Windows 7 Upgrade product key (printed on the label inside the box of the off-the-shelf retail box). The website above says "The product key you provided is for a product not currently supported by this site or may be invalid. Please try again or visit the Microsoft Support Contact Us page for assistance."

So, at least you got further than I did! (If you speak Korean anyways!)

My original Windows 7 disk for my product key is not SP1 either, but it still installs and upgrades to Windows 10 just fine.

NavyLCDR, Dec 28, 2015
  12. XweAponX Win User
    So I can use the key it shows for a re-install? Thanks

XweAponX, Dec 28, 2015
  13. cereberus Win User

Interesting. Guess I'll have to brush up on my Korean then Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD :).

Out of interest, how did your windows 7 install when only an upgrade licence (or do I not want them know the answer?)?

cereberus, Dec 28, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 29, 2015
  15. Almighty1 Win User
    Another thought is this is not the standard Pro or Home version but rather a education license verison of Pro or Home so it require a different installer to use the educational license.

Almighty1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD - Similar Threads - Can't activate replacing

2. How to re-install Windows 10 after replacing a failed SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to re-install Windows 10 after replacing a failed SSD: How do I re-install Windows 10 after replacing a failed SSD? On power up, the ASUS laptop displays the BIOS screen but all three SATA slots show 'empty'. I'm assuming that I need to format the SSD and re-install Windows 10 and probably some other stuff but I don't know where...
  3. How to re-install Windows 10 after replacing a failed SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-install Windows 10 after replacing a failed SSD: How do I re-install Windows 10 after replacing a failed SSD? On power up, the ASUS laptop displays the BIOS screen but all three SATA slots show 'empty'. I'm assuming that I need to format the SSD and re-install Windows 10 and probably some other stuff but I don't know where...
  4. How to re-install Windows 10 after replacing a failed SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After SSD replacement, the system is not activated: My old PC broke down and I took the SSD drive and put it into another PC which I am using now. I have a problem with the latter PC. It requires that I activate the system though it was activated before the replacement. How can I activate the system?...
  6. Failing to activate Windows 10 after harddrive replacement

Failing to activate Windows 10 after harddrive replacement: Hi. I changed my laptop's harddrive from an HDD to an SSD and when I tried to activate Windows it tells me "The product key you entered can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key." I have no idea what to do....
  7. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  8. Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement: Hello, I purchased a copy of windows 10 in 2016. Now that I upgraded my ssd, the key is not being recognized. I already tried login with microsoft account and I can't see troubleshooting button on the activation page. Please help Gabe...
  9. Can't activate windows 10 after HDD replacement to SSD

Can't activate windows 10 after HDD replacement to SSD: Hello, my previous pc broke down, I placed the hard drive in a new pc and now it tells me to activate windows. Why should I rebuy windows if I don't use the old pc anymore? Does anyone have some tips?...
  10. Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation

Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation: So I've had a problem with random blue screens and narrowed it down to the SSD as it has many bad blocks. Kingston approved of an RMA so I'm going to do that. How does Windows 10 activation work if I replaced the drive and have to either reinstall windows or port a backup on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 doesnt actvate ater ssd replacement