Windows 10: Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

Discus and support Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; hello, i just upgraded my original Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and when i try to activate it, Windows gives me an error [img] "Windows cannot be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by metalknuxx, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

hello, i just upgraded my original Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and when i try to activate it, Windows gives me an error

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 [​IMG]

"Windows cannot be activated, please try again later"

How can i solve this?

:)

metalknuxx, Jul 28, 2015
  2. mac1-131 Win User

Windows 10 reinstallation problem

you can't use your 8.1 key on Windows 10

if you skipped the product key 3 times and Windows 10 is still not activated, then it sounds like you did not get properly activated the first time and you ended up with an unactivated install.

in that case, you will have to probably take it back to 8.1 once more, make sure that is activated, and then run the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 again.

after it upgrades, double-check Settings, Update & Security, Activation and make sure it says Windows is activated.

if the upgrade finds a properly activated eligible OS (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) it will not ask for a product key during the upgrade. if something is wrong with the original version (not eligible OS or not activated) then it will ask for the key

good luck!

mac1-131, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Change Product key (use win 7 key)

So you're saying that if I want to re-install Windows 10, which I upgraded from Windows 8.1, I need to reinstall Windows 8.1 first, then upgrade to Windows 10?

Can't Microsoft just give upgraders a Windows 10 product key?

Nathan00122, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

I have the same issue. Upgraded from a fulyl legal and activated Windows 8.1, but Windows 10 tells me, that it can not be activated and I should try again later. What exactly is wrong here?

foobar1337, Jul 28, 2015
  5. mrplt Win User
    Is there an error code?
    By the way, my license key ends with "3V66T" too. What's the first character of your license key? Now I'm wondering if all the people who have license problems have the same license code.

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  6. fjk61011 Win User
    Mine starts with V and ends in 3V66T and my copy is Activated. And to add to the mix, I didn't Upgrade but clean Installed.

fjk61011, Jul 28, 2015
  7. @mrplt
    Why "too"? But it's true, mine ends with the "3V66T" as well. How did you know? If I click the "Error details" link I only get an empty box with an empty input box, looks like a bug to me.

foobar1337, Jul 28, 2015
  8. mrplt Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

I wrote "too" because according to the screenshot fjk61011 has posted, his/her product key also ends with 3V66T.

I have AIDA64 installed, that's how I found my product key.

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  9. techtim Win User
    I have the same issue, upgraded via the Media Creation Tool, from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, everything went smoothly, then this. Same product key that ends in "3V66T" Kinda odd!

If I don't get through to someone soon on the phone with Windows Activation, I will revert changes back to Windows 8.1.

techtim, Jul 28, 2015
  10. same product key end with "3V66T" too, it is a generic key, since windows 10 activation is based on hardware id.

janice1234, Jul 28, 2015
  11. mrplt Win User
    I see, I didn't know that.

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  13. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

I experienced the same as you guys by following the official upgrade step.

I fixed the issue by changing the product key to the key that is already in there. It is the generic key for Win 8.1 Pro which is VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Enter that key and follow the instructions. Windows then activated fine.

thehutchuk, Jul 28, 2015
  14. mrplt Win User
    That's what we have as activation key. With what did you change that? If you entered the same key, it didn't work for me.

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  15. dgcdan Win User
    Hi Brink are you confirmed activated using the GWX method or anyone else for that matter? I just dont fancy having to format back to Windows 7, update it until I get the GWX notification and then have to upgrade to 10 again if it's just a server issue. I done the upgrade with the media creation tool as the GWX update wouldn't work, it didn't prompt me for keys or anything it just upgraded my machine but now I'm stuck not able to activate. Any info would be great cheers.

Dan

dgcdan, Jul 28, 2015
Thema:

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

1. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 - Similar Threads - Can't activate upgrade

2. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop: Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have...
  6. How can I activate my Windows 10 after upgraded from Windows 8?

How can I activate my Windows 10 after upgraded from Windows 8?: My product key is missing, however my window 8 was genuine. Upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 8. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-activate-my-windows-10-after-upgraded/0c84bcba-d589-487f-8fc2-ad8f6645fada
  7. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Home to Pro

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Home to Pro: I have been using Windows 10 Home Single Language. It was pre-installed on my laptop. Then I upgraded to build 19041.1 from Slow ring. After that I purchased an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft Store. Now the systems tells that it is "Windows 10 Enterprise"...
  8. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  9. Can't activate after upgrading from 10 Home to Pro

Can't activate after upgrading from 10 Home to Pro: I have just bought a new Asus VivoBook laptop with Windows 10 Home. I followed the upgrade path and ordered and paid for an upgrade to Pro, but I now get 0x803F7001 error and it won't activate. It also says that I am now on Windows 10 Enterprise. I am in the UK. What can...
  10. Can't Activate Windows 10 after upgrading hardware

Can't Activate Windows 10 after upgrading hardware: Hello, My PC had a fatal crash so I replaced the Motherboard, CPU and Memory. I've tried the activate after changing hardware process many times and it says try later, which I have. I get the option to choose the previous PC name to activate from but it returns the answer,...