Windows 10: Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

Discus and support Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello Dan, That's a quote from Microsoft, but you might give it a day or two with keep trying to activate to see if you may get lucky. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by metalknuxx, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

Hello Dan,

That's a quote from Microsoft, but you might give it a day or two with keep trying to activate to see if you may get lucky.

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  2. dgcdan Win User

Will give that a try thanks Brink *Thumbs

Dan.

dgcdan, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Yeh, I had that as the product key already too. I went to "Change Product Key", re-entered the same product key and followed the steps and it activated OK.

thehutchuk, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

Unfortunately didn't work. Guess I'll wait a day or two.

bobsagetfullhou, Jul 28, 2015
  5. iBawbag Win User
    I have exact same issue on my desktop with legit Windows 8.1 key. Strangely enough just tried my mum's Toshiba laptop, same method (mediacreationtool upgrade) and same result.

I work for an ISP and this morning we used the exact same method to upgrade 4 Samsung laptops (Win 8.1) and a Windows 7 HP desktop and all activated fine. mmm

iBawbag, Jul 28, 2015
  6. mrplt Win User
    This morning everything was working fine, but around 12:00 GMT problems began.

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  7. iBawbag Win User
    Gotta be activation server issue. Also noticed previously that if it wasn't activated some options e.g themes etc were not available to change until activation.

iBawbag, Jul 28, 2015
  8. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

I think it's normal. It's the first day of release, so the activation server is propably getting hammered

astrolabos, Jul 28, 2015
  9. mrplt Win User
    Exactly. But that's okay as it's the official release day. Anyways, it works now!

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  10. Okay so mine says this:

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 [​IMG]

I also have the same exact product key as you are all stating. But it's telling me it's blocked.

Error description: The activation server determined the specific product key has been blocked.

What I did was use "VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T" for the CD key when doing the fresh install of Windows 10 AFTER I already upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

So will this key get unblocked? Or do I have to Re-install Windows 8.1, Upgrade to 10, fresh install 10 again and THEN SKIP the product key panel?

EDIT: Tried the CMD activation still failed

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 [​IMG]

RECONBunny, Jul 28, 2015
  11. mrplt Win User
    You are not able to do a clean install after the upgrade process. You'll have to downgrade to Win8.1

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  12. I tried the cmd activation and it says that the activation failed. I upgraded with the upgrade tool from win 8.1 pro to win10 pro.

astrolabos, Jul 28, 2015
  13. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

That's disgusting. I guess that's the damn catch.

RECONBunny, Jul 28, 2015
  14. mrplt Win User
    The biggest problem is that, I think, the customer support service. Normally they could easily solve this kind of problems but they are not ready yet. I called them once today and all I got as answer is "These things happen in Windows 10, downgrade to Windows 8 and upgrade again to 10."
    Phone activation isn't working etiher.

All I can recommend you is to re-install Windows 10 update after downgrading to Windows 8 and wait for a clean install method.

mrplt, Jul 28, 2015
  15. or you can wait for a day or two for the traffic load of the authentication servers to be normalized and try then. Besides, you have a whole month time to go back to windows 8

astrolabos, Jul 28, 2015
Thema:

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

1. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 - Similar Threads - Can't activate upgrade

2. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop: Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have...
  6. How can I activate my Windows 10 after upgraded from Windows 8?

How can I activate my Windows 10 after upgraded from Windows 8?: My product key is missing, however my window 8 was genuine. Upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 8. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-activate-my-windows-10-after-upgraded/0c84bcba-d589-487f-8fc2-ad8f6645fada
  7. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Home to Pro

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Home to Pro: I have been using Windows 10 Home Single Language. It was pre-installed on my laptop. Then I upgraded to build 19041.1 from Slow ring. After that I purchased an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft Store. Now the systems tells that it is "Windows 10 Enterprise"...
  8. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  9. Can't activate after upgrading from 10 Home to Pro

Can't activate after upgrading from 10 Home to Pro: I have just bought a new Asus VivoBook laptop with Windows 10 Home. I followed the upgrade path and ordered and paid for an upgrade to Pro, but I now get 0x803F7001 error and it won't activate. It also says that I am now on Windows 10 Enterprise. I am in the UK. What can...
  10. Can't Activate Windows 10 after upgrading hardware

Can't Activate Windows 10 after upgrading hardware: Hello, My PC had a fatal crash so I replaced the Motherboard, CPU and Memory. I've tried the activate after changing hardware process many times and it says try later, which I have. I get the option to choose the previous PC name to activate from but it returns the answer,...