Windows 10: Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

Discus and support Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Okay so after the GWX update wouldn't show for me on Windows 7 I used the media creation tool to upgrade to 10. After about 3 hours of trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by metalknuxx, Jul 28, 2015.

1. dgcdan Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

Okay so after the GWX update wouldn't show for me on Windows 7 I used the media creation tool to upgrade to 10. After about 3 hours of trying to activate it's finally just worked. So anyone getting this error it's definately a server load problem. Hopefully they are finally fixing it. *Smile

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 [​IMG]

dgcdan, Jul 28, 2015
  2. PauloBR Win User

I entered that key and my Windows 10 Home was "upgraded" to Windows 10 Pro? How's that? Still Windows is not activated. What do I do now?

Edited:

Sorry, forgot to tell... before that, I had a licensed copy Windows 8.1 Home installed and I have upgraded to Windows 10 Home via USB drive created by Microsoft Media Creation Tool. After upgrade completed, Windows says it's not activated.

PauloBR, Jul 29, 2015
  3. First, stop the panic I guess its normal... considering the huge publicity that Microsoft gave to "Windows 10" world wide.
    Here's the solution: Just click on the "Activate" button continuously it will activate, they are having huge traffic that's why you are like stock there.

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 [​IMG]

It works, so just do it

Yung4tymizle, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Chris2005 Win User

I upgraded around 6 AM this morning from Windows 7 SP1 without a problem with activating.

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
  5. I can confirm this is correct, I tried all day yesterday to activate and then tried again this morning and it worked. Keep spamming the activate key and it will work at some point. I am on Win Home, UK based.

davark1981, Jul 29, 2015
  6. otisdog Win User
    After upgrading from 8.1 yesterday Windows 10 would not activate. Started the computer this morning and it is activated !
    Woolah !!
    Jim

otisdog, Jul 29, 2015
  7. I just got home from work, I tried the activation and it was activated from the first try. *Nerd

astrolabos, Jul 29, 2015
  8. junclj Win User

Hi there, you should upgraded to the wrong version. Please make sure that you should follow the correct version. For example, my tablet comes with Windows 8.1 with bing, so I should upgrade to Windows 10 "Home" instead of "Pro".
    All of my genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 were upgraded to Windows 10 without problem.

You are not necessary to insert any product key or activation during the upgrading process.
    You should refers to the link here to ensure that you were upgraded to the proper edition. Pro or Home? Perhaps you need to do a system restore to roll back to windows 8.1 then upgrade again to the proper edition.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#upgrade

junclj, Aug 2, 2015
  9. True - but if you then change your hardware you cannot activate Windows 10.
    I tried the online activation - it failed.
    The I tried the telephone activation - it didn't work either.
    I tried speaking to a nice gentleman from India on the Microsoft help line and apparently you have to go back to previous windows (8.1 in my case and re-activate). I am in the process of doing this and telephone activation has just worked when I declared (correctly) that I am only using the product key on a single machine. This is a strange limitation that will hit more and more people over the next year or so.

andyveggie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1 - Similar Threads - Can't activate upgrade

2. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.: Today I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional and am having difficulties activating the license I had to perform a clean install since the save data/apps option kept failing. The Win7 Pro license came with the PC I purchased a while back from...
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop: Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have...
  6. How can I activate my Windows 10 after upgraded from Windows 8?

How can I activate my Windows 10 after upgraded from Windows 8?: My product key is missing, however my window 8 was genuine. Upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 8. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-activate-my-windows-10-after-upgraded/0c84bcba-d589-487f-8fc2-ad8f6645fada
  7. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Home to Pro

Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from Home to Pro: I have been using Windows 10 Home Single Language. It was pre-installed on my laptop. Then I upgraded to build 19041.1 from Slow ring. After that I purchased an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft Store. Now the systems tells that it is "Windows 10 Enterprise"...
  8. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  9. Can't activate after upgrading from 10 Home to Pro

Can't activate after upgrading from 10 Home to Pro: I have just bought a new Asus VivoBook laptop with Windows 10 Home. I followed the upgrade path and ordered and paid for an upgrade to Pro, but I now get 0x803F7001 error and it won't activate. It also says that I am now on Windows 10 Enterprise. I am in the UK. What can...
  10. Can't Activate Windows 10 after upgrading hardware

Can't Activate Windows 10 after upgrading hardware: Hello, My PC had a fatal crash so I replaced the Motherboard, CPU and Memory. I've tried the activate after changing hardware process many times and it says try later, which I have. I get the option to choose the previous PC name to activate from but it returns the answer,...