Windows 10: Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

Discus and support Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Here’s the jist of it. Built a PC, and I’ve got an old windows key I used, honestly don’t know if it’s home or pro as I only wrote it down. Installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_jonas_bonus, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

Here’s the jist of it. Built a PC, and I’ve got an old windows key I used, honestly don’t know if it’s home or pro as I only wrote it down. Installed windows using that key, and my PC started running Windows 10 home 1607. I signed into my microsoft account, and it changed to windows 10 pro. It then updated to 1903, but it says I need to activate it. I tried to use my windows 7 pro key, as I figured I’d have to use the pro key to activate pro, duh. But when I try, it says windows can’t be activated because the previous version wasn’t activated. Here’s the last thing, this pro key was used by my friend a few months ago. Is it not working because he has already used the key? Or is it something on my end? I know it’s a stupid issue but I can’t seem to find help. Any is appreciated!

submitted by /u/_jonas_bonus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/_jonas_bonus, Jan 15, 2020

2. Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I did a full clean install of Windows 10 a while back and it will not activate. I didn't do a clean install from Windows 7/8/8.1 it was from Windows 10 (activated) so I expected it to activate just fine since it was fine before hand.

My Windows 10 license wasn't created from a previous Windows 7/8/8.1 key I got it from signing up to be an insider back in Nov of 2014. I installed a preview build on my laptop from the insider program and it worked just fine and it automatically upgraded to newer and newer preview builds and then to the full release automatically, fully activated and working fine. I did a full clean install not long ago (expect it to go through without issue since it was working before) and now it will not activate and I can't find any info on how to get it to activate and I can't seem to find the insider Windows 10 key.

Microsoft online support was useless and the gave me the toll free number to tech support.. I am currently on the phone waiting, they said it could be a 1hr 30min wait.. sigh.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LightningJR, Jan 15, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Laurijan Win User

Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

Hi!

I signed up in the windows insider program and got windows 10 free - the windows 10 insider preview updated to windows 10 pro.
    Today i got another SSD and did a raid 0 on my system forcing me to do a clean install of windows but now it wont activate anymore.
    Signing in with my microsoft account that was linked to the insider program didnt help.
    Maybe i got this problem since i quit the insider program for several days and signed up again after i found out that my win 10 wont activate anymore.
    Any ideas how to fix it?

Lauri

Laurijan, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

1. Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help! - Similar Threads - Can’t activate previous

2. Activating Windows 10 not working, HELP PLEASE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating Windows 10 not working, HELP PLEASE: So i recently bought a pc of someone i know and he gave me the product key for windows 10. I installed it yesterday and now it keeps saying 'Activate Windows, Go to settings to Activate Windows.' on the bottom right of my screen eve though it was gone yesterday. Then when I...
  3. can't activated windows 10 pro please help me

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't activated windows 10 pro please help me: Split from this thread. can't activated windows 10 pro please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activated-windows-10-pro-please-help-me/7e7ed308-4f0a-4fa7-818e-7531cf416527"
  4. Windows activation Error. Please Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows activation Error. Please Help!: I recently updated the motherboard in my PC and I'm now getting the message "Activate Windows: Go to Settings to Activate Windows"; the problem is that none of their recommended solutions work. Trying to verify the system fails; and I don't have a Windows 10 product key as...
  5. Windows 10 activation using a previous activated hotmail account

Windows 10 activation using a previous activated hotmail account: Here's my "problem", I used to have a laptop with an official Windows 8 product key/digital license which said laptop I updated to 8.1 and then to Windows 10, few months later from that I had to do a clean install and ran the laptop without said account but that laptop...
  6. need help with activation PLEASE HELP

need help with activation PLEASE HELP: Hello my name is Landon and I have been trying to activate windows on my computer for a while now , I received my PC as a gift and when I got it windows 10 Pro had already been installed on it, all of a sudden windows has stopped working , and will not reactivate , the...
  7. Activation help please.

Activation help please.: Hey! I'm Kyle and I need help with something, I have got a new computer now so I don't use my old one as much but my old computer was activated. My new computer isn't activated so I was wondering if I can get rid of the activation on my old computer and get it back on the...
  8. Windows 10 Activation Help

Windows 10 Activation Help: Hi Everybody, I updated to Windows 10 last week from what I thought was an activated version of windows 8.1, but now I'm stuck with an "Activate Windows" watermark in the bottom right of my screen (which goes over everything, not just the desktop) and I was wondering if in...
  9. Help Please with a Win10 Activation Mystery

Help Please with a Win10 Activation Mystery: Hi There, I am now stumped .............. Background: 1) Have previously upgraded & dumped a Win7_64 Ult [SlicBios] into Win10_64 Pro and achieved successful online activation. 2) Following 1) & starting with a 'fresh' {OFFLINE} install of W10_64 Pro, whereby I...
  10. Help with Windows 10 activation

Help with Windows 10 activation: Ok here is what happened. I got the update to windows 10 on my computer then I found out how to put it on a flash drive on I put one on the flash drive and then I upgraded my computer to windows 10. So anyways it was going well and it installed Windows 10 then it restarted to...