Windows 10: Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

Discus and support Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Here’s the jist of it. Built a PC, and I’ve got an old windows key I used, honestly don’t know if it’s home or pro as I only wrote it down. Installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_jonas_bonus, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

Here’s the jist of it. Built a PC, and I’ve got an old windows key I used, honestly don’t know if it’s home or pro as I only wrote it down. Installed windows using that key, and my PC started running Windows 10 home 1607. I signed into my microsoft account, and it changed to windows 10 pro. It then updated to 1903, but it says I need to activate it. I tried to use my windows 7 pro key, as I figured I’d have to use the pro key to activate pro, duh. But when I try, it says windows can’t be activated because the previous version wasn’t activated. Here’s the last thing, this pro key was used by my friend a few months ago. Is it not working because he has already used the key? Or is it something on my end? I know it’s a stupid issue but I can’t seem to find help. Any is appreciated!

submitted by /u/_jonas_bonus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/_jonas_bonus, Jan 15, 2020

2. Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I did a full clean install of Windows 10 a while back and it will not activate. I didn't do a clean install from Windows 7/8/8.1 it was from Windows 10 (activated) so I expected it to activate just fine since it was fine before hand.

My Windows 10 license wasn't created from a previous Windows 7/8/8.1 key I got it from signing up to be an insider back in Nov of 2014. I installed a preview build on my laptop from the insider program and it worked just fine and it automatically upgraded to newer and newer preview builds and then to the full release automatically, fully activated and working fine. I did a full clean install not long ago (expect it to go through without issue since it was working before) and now it will not activate and I can't find any info on how to get it to activate and I can't seem to find the insider Windows 10 key.

Microsoft online support was useless and the gave me the toll free number to tech support.. I am currently on the phone waiting, they said it could be a 1hr 30min wait.. sigh.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LightningJR, Jan 15, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Laurijan Win User

Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

Hi!

I signed up in the windows insider program and got windows 10 free - the windows 10 insider preview updated to windows 10 pro.
    Today i got another SSD and did a raid 0 on my system forcing me to do a clean install of windows but now it wont activate anymore.
    Signing in with my microsoft account that was linked to the insider program didnt help.
    Maybe i got this problem since i quit the insider program for several days and signed up again after i found out that my win 10 wont activate anymore.
    Any ideas how to fix it?

Lauri

Laurijan, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help!

1. Can’t activate Windows 10 because the previous windows wasn’t activated? Please help! - Similar Threads - Can’t activate previous

2. can’t activate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can’t activate Windows 10: I cant reactivate my Windows 10H after a reinstall Windows 10 to my laptop .The message is "We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows." This is a brand new laptop and I am the first owner.And this...
  3. can’t activate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can’t activate Windows 10: I cant reactivate my Windows 10H after a reinstall Windows 10 to my laptop .The message is "We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows." This is a brand new laptop and I am the first owner.And this...
  4. can’t activate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 was previously activated but now is suddenly not activated.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 was previously activated but now is suddenly not activated.: I have been using this copy of Windows 10 fully activated for more than a year but suddenly a few days ago, there was a popup saying I needed to activate windows....
  6. Windows 10 was previously activated but now is suddenly not activated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 was previously activated but now is suddenly not activated.: I have been using this copy of Windows 10 fully activated for more than a year but suddenly a few days ago, there was a popup saying I needed to activate windows....
  7. Windows 10 was previously activated but now is suddenly not activated.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Activating Windows 10 Home - Please Help!!!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 Home - Please Help!!!!: I have tried to activate Windows but a message appears saying it is unable to active as previous version of Windows was not activated prior to upgrading. How do I solve this? I have a product key.I got this new pc but am useless with computers. Please help!!!...
  9. Windows 10 not activating, please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not activating, please help!: Hello, I bought a code from Microsoft to activate windows. But it says that the code doesn't exist. Can you guys help me? submitted by /u/MrK1wis [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hnlyz0/windows_10_not_activating_please_help/
  10. Activating Windows 10 not working, HELP PLEASE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating Windows 10 not working, HELP PLEASE: So i recently bought a pc of someone i know and he gave me the product key for windows 10. I installed it yesterday and now it keeps saying 'Activate Windows, Go to settings to Activate Windows.' on the bottom right of my screen eve though it was gone yesterday. Then when I...