Windows 10: Can't Activate Windows 10 Home Edition After A Motherboard Replacement

Discus and support Can't Activate Windows 10 Home Edition After A Motherboard Replacement in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built a PC about two weeks ago, bought a digital license in the Windows Store, and then decided to switch to a different motherboard last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hayesraven, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Can't Activate Windows 10 Home Edition After A Motherboard Replacement

I recently built a PC about two weeks ago, bought a digital license in the Windows Store, and then decided to switch to a different motherboard last week. I cannot get Windows 10 to re-activate. I'm signed in with the same Microsoft account I purchased the license with, and I have followed the "Activation Troubleshooting" steps. Once I select my computer, I get the following message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

It also tells me I can go buy it. I have proof of purchases for my old motherboard, the one I replaced it with, and my digital license I bought in the Windows store. Don't understand why I can't reactivate.

:)

hayesraven, Jul 23, 2019

2. Password incorrect after replacing motherboard.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

There is some confusion about hardware changes on a Computer that will impact their free upgrade activation status. To clarify, the ONLY hardware changes that can negatively impact a customer’s activation status once they have upgrade are changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    If you replaces the Motherboard they may have to re activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

You can try to perform a clean install.

I would suggest you to create a ISO file from the below Microsoft Help Article and try to reinstall Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 23, 2019
  3. Windows 10 activation/reactivation on a new and replaced motherboard

Hi Orlando,

From the above description, I understand you want to know if Windows 10 Home edition will be activated on the computer on installing the same on the new and replaced motherboard. Pease reply, do you have the product key along with the purchase of Windows
    10 Home edition from Amazon?

If yes, you have to perform clean installation of
    Windows 10 Home
    edition to remove and replace Windows 10 Pro edition on the computer. Doing so, Windows 10 Home edition will be activated and running on the computer.

Note: It is recommended to take backup of all the data saved to prevent any loss of data after performing
    clean installation on the computer. Performing clean installation will remove all the saved data making the device a new computer.

Write to us with the status of installing Windows 10 Home on a new motherboard
    in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 23, 2019
  4. M. Hamer Win User

Can't Activate Windows 10 Home Edition After A Motherboard Replacement

Troubleshoot activation errors in Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement or entering a Volume License key

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

We have a troubleshooter that can help with certain activation errors you might get:

• If your PC’s manufacturer replaced your motherboard under warranty

• Activation Error 0x803F7001

• If you entered a Volume License product key

Note For these errors, you will need a valid (non-Volume License) product key for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 to finish the activation.

• 0x8007007B

• 0xC004E016

• 0x8007232B

• 0xC004F074

• 0xC004F038

Before trying the troubleshooter, make sure you are on the most current version of Windows 10. From Start, select
    Settings, then choose System, and then press
    About
    . You should see Version 1511 listed. If you don’t see it, then click
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update and click
    Check for updates.

Once you know you’re on version 1511, download and run the troubleshooter:
    http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg79558

If you had one of the Volume License key errors, you will be asked for a new key after the troubleshooter runs.

If you have trouble running the troubleshooter, please reply below.
    If you have another Activation issue, please post in the Download, Install and Activation folder of the Windows 10 support forum.

Results in Windows - Microsoft Community

Details

Activation errors after motherboard replacement

Starting with Windows 8 and continuing with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, most PC manufactures are injecting their Windows product key into the motherboard of the PC.
    This allows the PC to activate automatically when you first boot up the PC and to re-activate if the PC is ever reset or needs a clean install.
    The product key in the motherboard is edition-specific and will only activate that edition of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.).

When the motherboard is replaced under warranty, Windows will detect a hardware change and look for the new product key that was included in the replaced motherboard.
    Sometimes the new product key is not retrieved by Windows, and you get
    Activation Error 0x803F7001
    . The troubleshooter will ask Windows to re- try retrieving the product key from the new motherboard and activated it.

Correcting the mistake of entering a Global Volume License key

The troubleshooter also corrects a second, less common issue.
    If you searched the web, you might have found and entered a Global Volume License (GVL) Key.
    GVL Keys only work for PCs in an Enterprise environment where the administrator has setup this system of licensing.
    If you mistakenly entered a GVL Key, you PC will no longer accept regular product keys, and will give the activation error 0x8007007B (or even 0xC004E016, 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038).
    This troubleshooter will identify the GVL Key and replace it with a regular retail default key.
    Your PC will not activate yet, but now will accept normal retail and OEM product keys.

M. Hamer, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

Can't Activate Windows 10 Home Edition After A Motherboard Replacement

1. Can't Activate Windows 10 Home Edition After A Motherboard Replacement - Similar Threads - Can't Activate Home

2. Can't activate Windows 10 after resetting the OS and replacing the motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows 10 after resetting the OS and replacing the motherboard: Hello!Today I decided to reset Windows 10 on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop. When I opened personalisation settings to change a few things I noticed that I didn't have a license because some components in my laptop were changed. A few months ago my laptop's motherboard died and it...
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 after resetting the OS and replacing the motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate Windows 10 after resetting the OS and replacing the motherboard: Hello!Today I decided to reset Windows 10 on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop. When I opened personalisation settings to change a few things I noticed that I didn't have a license because some components in my laptop were changed. A few months ago my laptop's motherboard died and it...
  4. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  5. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  6. Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.: i recently had a motherboard failure and had to move my hdd to another pc to get back up and running. I am now seeing an error saying to activate my copy of windows. This was a free upgrade from 7 to 10 on the Microsoft website so I don't have an activation code to put in....
  7. activating windows after motherboard replacement

activating windows after motherboard replacement: Hello, I bought somewhere in the beginning of this year a new windows 10 license, digitally through the windows store, to install it on my new computer, 2 weeks ago my motherboard broke down and needed to be replaced. Now I am unable to activate it with the new motherboard....
  8. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard Replacement

Activate Windows 10 after motherboard Replacement: My old PC failed so I put my hard drive into another PC. Upon booting I get a message to "Activate Windows". My original installation was done online so I don't have Product Key so how do I resolve this without having to buy a new copy?...
  9. Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement

Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement: I got my computer professionally built just over a month ago but had to get them to replace a faulty motherboard. Unfortunately its now not allowing me activate Windows. I definitely activated it before the motherboard broke and its definitely attached to my account (I can...
  10. Windows 10 not activating after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 not activating after motherboard replacement.: Hello. My old motherboard failed on me and after replacing it windows 10 will not activate. I have a digital windows 10 license for this machine. Is there anything I can do? Error code 0x803F7001...