Windows 10: Can't activate Windows 10 on new PC with product key from older deactivated computer

Discus and support Can't activate Windows 10 on new PC with product key from older deactivated computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to activate a new Windows 10 PC with my Windows 10 Pro product key from an older computer that I have deactivated. This is something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Glenn-Thomas, May 6, 2020.

1. Can't activate Windows 10 on new PC with product key from older deactivated computer

Hello, I am trying to activate a new Windows 10 PC with my Windows 10 Pro product key from an older computer that I have deactivated. This is something I have done a couple of times before, so I know that it works. Although it may have been with an older version of Windows, like 8 perhaps, the last time I did it.

I thought that once Windows was deactivated on the older machine, the product key would be free to use on a another computer. As has been the been the case when I did this in the past.

The older computer is a dual boot machine which also has Windows XP. From memory I installed Windows 10 on that machine as a free upgrade from 7 or 8, back when Microsoft had that offer running for the first year of Windows 10.

Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

Glenn-Thomas, May 6, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Deactivating Windows will not remove it from Microsoft's activation server.

It just simply deactivates Windows on the PC itself. This would only be helpful if say you're giving or selling the computer to someone, and don't want it to be activated with your retail product key.

You would only need to either uninstall or deactivate Windows on any other PC that you plan on using the same retail product key (license) on a new PC.

Brink, May 6, 2020
  3. Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Ok I see, if I want to transfer my retail copy of windows 8.1 (which I upgraded to windows 10 when it was free) to a new computer with a new motherboard how would I go about doing that?

aflumbahgee, May 6, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 on new PC with product key from older deactivated computer

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10  

What you are referring to is for a full retail W8 license that has not been used to get and activate the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer. You basically traded in your W8 license for the free W10 upgrade.

The W8 license is linked to W10 and you get a digital license for W10 on Microsoft activation servers. You can only have W8 or free W10 activated with the product key (W8) or digital license (W10) on a PC and not both.

If you want to install and activate a retail W8 on a single PC with this W8 product key, then you will need to uninstall the free W10 or deactivate the W10 first. If this is an OEM W8, then you can only do this on the same PC it was originally installed on.

If you want to install the free W10 on a PC with its digital license, then you will need to uninstall W8 or deactivate the W8 first.

Microsoft knows what PC(s) you have them activated on since they must be activated by the Microsoft activation server. If you try to activate on more than one PC, then it gets flagged and denied.

Brink, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Can't activate Windows 10 on new PC with product key from older deactivated computer

1. Can't activate Windows 10 on new PC with product key from older deactivated computer - Similar Threads - Can't activate product

2. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  3. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  4. Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate: Hi, I recently bought a Windows 10 Home product key straight from the Windows website for a new PC build that I'm doing. I initially used the product key on one build, but since Windows kept crashing and won't boot after three times of clean install and a BIOS update, I...
  5. Deactivate product key

Deactivate product key: Hi, Can anyone guide me on how i can deactivate the key product and move the product key on a new device? The existing win 10 version is an upgrade from win 7 premium. If that helps? TIA...
  6. Can you install Windows 10 on a new pc after getting a product key from an older pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you install Windows 10 on a new pc after getting a product key from an older pc?: If you uninstall and deregister the product key from an older pc and want to transfer that product key to a new pc, how do you do it. I've been looking this up on the internet but all I could find is how to install windows through a flash drive. If you built a new pc and...
  7. a new key product to activate my pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    a new key product to activate my pc: i need to know how to get a new key product https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-new-key-product-to-activate-my-pc/b83c0848-0c90-4d70-8190-13ba9db68a38
  8. Windows 10 activation with a valid product key on a new computer

Windows 10 activation with a valid product key on a new computer: Hi, My last computer broke, so I got a new one and tried to move the windows license on it. I deactivated it from the old one and with "slmgr -ipk" in CMD I added it to the new computer. But if I run the next command "slmgr /dli" the next message is displayed: [ATTACH]...
  9. Product key deactivated when changing computer.

Product key deactivated when changing computer.: For christmas I got a new motherboard and a new CPU. Now windows says my copy of Windows 10 is not genuine. When I try to make it reactivate with the digital key on my account, it says the servers are down. (My laptop is on the same account and is genuine. (Just save the key...
  10. Product Key Deactivation

Product Key Deactivation: Hi all, I bought Windows 10 Home Edition when I built my PC a couple of years ago and I am now going to be selling it to build a new one. I will be keeping my SSD which Windows and other programs are currently installed on, putting in a new one and installing Windows on...