Windows 10: Can't activate windows after clean install

Discus and support Can't activate windows after clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just did a 'clean' install of Win 10 Pro 64bit on to my old Win 7 Pro 64bit HDD so that I could migrate my wife's Win 10 Pro 32bit apps and programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rzn6jw, Dec 11, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Can't activate windows after clean install

I just did a 'clean' install of Win 10 Pro 64bit on to my old Win 7 Pro 64bit HDD so that I could migrate my wife's Win 10 Pro 32bit apps and programs over the the 64bit OS.

First, I thought 'clean' meant also formatting the HDD because it didn't. I find all my old programs and folders still on the drive, including the Windows.old folder.

During the install, I used my wife's MS account to sign in as admin on the new system. Her account is valid at MS so I tried to activate the install but it wouldn't take. I even tried troubleshooting and selecting the 'I changed the hardware' but the message keeps coming up not a valid digital signature.

Do I actually have to do a clean install on the current 32bit OS HDD to get activation to work or am I doing something else wrong? One thing - I used the Media Creation Tool to download the .iso file on my PC not hers. Does that have anything to do with it? The only thing that's changed on her PC is the drive I did the 'clean' install on. The mobo has not changed so I can't figure out why no activation.

:)

rzn6jw, Dec 11, 2017

2. Can't activate after clean install

I have the same problem from 5 days...you get
    0xC004C003 error still?

Arcangelo Maria Gruosso, Dec 11, 2017
  3. truthKhan Win User
    Can't activate after clean install

same thing happened to me.

did Gabe Aul on twitter lie about clean install or did he not explain what he means by clean install?

does Gabe Aul mean clean install by recovery ?

well I did clean install using the USB from boot.

next time explain clearly what you mean by clean install.

truthKhan, Dec 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Has this computer had Windows 10 on it before?

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    You could use the Windows 7 Pro key to activate Windows 10 Pro, if you still have it.

But no, you don't have to reinstall windows 10 on the 32 bit drive, if you install 64 bit on another drive on the same Motherboard, W10 should activate. Not certain if you can activate 2 instances of W10 at the same time on the same board without another key, Navy would know better.

The Clean command does not format the drive, it only cleans it, but you must not have done it correctly if all the data is still there.

You have to enter another command to format the drive.

Format fs=ntfs quick

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License Installation Upgrade Tutorials

AddRAM, Dec 11, 2017
  6. Could you post a link to the "Clean" install instructions you followed? Or list the steps you took. It sounds like you may have done an upgrade.

What account you log in with has nothing to do with activation. Unless your trying transfer a license to new hardware. You can setup with a local account and Windows will activate. Was Windows 10 previously installed and activated on that PC?

The Product Code is good for 32 bit or 64 bit, its your choice which you use. The only thing locked in is the Edition, Home, Pro etc. You can't activate Home with a Pro key for example.

alphanumeric, Dec 11, 2017
  7. rzn6jw Win User
    I was trying to upgrade my wife's Win 10 Pro 32bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit. In trying to upgrade, I installed an old Win 7 Pro 64bit from my PC (it is larger than her current drive). To be safe, I unplugged her current C:/ drive so it wouldn't get accidently over-written. So, same mobo, graphics card, different HDD.

Let me understand this - if the installation 'cleans' the drive, I shouldn't see any of the old folders then, correct?

The link I was using is: Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

rzn6jw, Dec 11, 2017
  8. Can't activate windows after clean install

Did you do a custom install and delete all the partitions on the drive? What gets left behind depends on what partitions were originally there, if you deleted them, and what partition you installed to.

alphanumeric, Dec 11, 2017
  9. rzn6jw Win User
    According to the .iso, there's only two ways to install: Clean, and update. I didn't select the update because I want to go to 64bit. There was only one partition on the HDD I was trying to install to - my old Win 7 64bit partition.

No, I did not delete the partition. That was my next thought since the install didn't format the drive - formatting the drive myself and installing on to blank media.

rzn6jw, Dec 11, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    You have to either delete the entire drive to unallocated space, or format the partition, it won`t format it unless you tell it to, just click on drive options.

Personally I would just delete it to unallocated space and let the installer make the partitions, and keep the 32 bit drive unplugged. You can boot into it after you hook it back up, simply press F8 when you turn on the PC to bring up the boot menu, then just choose the 32 bit drive from the list.

Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorial

AddRAM, Dec 11, 2017
  11. rzn6jw Win User
    Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight. Hopefully, I won't have the issue I had last night of missing boot sector on the 32bit drive. It's an old drive and I think it's getting to be on its last legs, so another reason to upgrade OS and HDD.

Speaking of that issue, and I don't know if this should be posted to a different forum, but I had created a Win 10 rescue disk a couple of month ago. When I had the problem last night, I booted from the rescue. When I selected the Recover option, it went to 'Which OS?' and the only OS showing was Windows 7.

Anyone know why a Win 10 rescue disk would try to recover a Win 7 OS?

rzn6jw, Dec 11, 2017
  12. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Dec 12, 2017
  13. Woody72 Win User

If you're having missing boot sector issues, create a Macrium rescue boot disk on another computer and boot from it. There is a start up repair option in the menus. Tick all 5 options and it will get your machine booting again. I recently used Macrium to restore a backup onto a new SSD but it wouldn't boot. The Macrium rescue disc sorted it out in no time.

Woody72, Dec 12, 2017
  14. rzn6jw Win User
    I'm running Macrium on her PC. Great backup/imaging software. It's saved my 64bit butt numerous times, so I put it on her 32bit PC.

Anyway, will give a blank HDD install a try this weekend and see what happens. Again, it doesn't matter which PC the Win 10 Pro 64bit .iso is created on, right? Meaning, I create the .iso on my 64bit PC and use it to install the OS on her PC?

rzn6jw, Dec 13, 2017
  15. AddRAM Win User
    Exactly, is does not matter where you create the installer. As long as you downloaded the correct version and bit you want just burn it, and always burn it at the slowest possible speed.

I use this simple program, I`m not sure if the windows program lets you control the burn speed, I never use it.

Free ISO Burner

AddRAM, Dec 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't activate windows after clean install - Similar Threads - Can't activate clean

2. Windows 10 Activation after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Activation after clean install: Hi, i've just done a clean install of Windows 10, and im using the old key that i had but now it's giving me error code 0x803f7001. According to the FAQ it means that the key doesnt exist but that's weird because it did activate before? Not sure how i can solve this....
  3. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after clean install

Can't activate Windows 10 after clean install: Greetings, my laptop came today with "Windows 10 Single Language" pre-installed and I connected my Microsoft Account. Windows were activated. I also saved the product key. The PC has 2 drives. One of them is an SSD that was empty. I did a clean install of "Windows 10...
  5. Can't Activate windows 10 pro after a clean install

Can't Activate windows 10 pro after a clean install: I am not able to activate my windows 10 pr0 using my product key earlier I used to have windows 10 home but now I changed to pro and now I couldn't activate it...
  6. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  7. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  8. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  9. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  10. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...