Windows 10: Can't activate windows after clean install

Discus and support Can't activate windows after clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thanks for all your help but it looks like I have another issue on her PC as well. During all this fooling around, I kept getting the mesage popping up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rzn6jw, Dec 11, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Can't activate windows after clean install

Thanks for all your help but it looks like I have another issue on her PC as well. During all this fooling around, I kept getting the mesage popping up on her desktop that Windows had Security Updates that needed to be installed but couldn't until the PC was brought up to the current version. It started updating on its own and taking forever.

I decided to check her page file and was startled to see that her 'Default Operating System' was Windows 7 (System/ Advanced System Settings/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Default Operating System). If I select the main System page (Control Panel/System), it shows Windows 10 Home.

OK, so what's happened here?

Also, could this be the underlying issue with not being able to activate the upgrade to Win 10 Pro 64bit?

rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017
  2. AddRAM Win User

I had originally asked you if she had W10 Home, but removed it because you said she had W10 Pro.

That`s why it won`t activate, use the W7 Pro key to activate windows 10 Pro, as I stated in my 1st reply *Smile

AddRAM, Dec 14, 2017
  3. rzn6jw Win User
    AddRam - I'll give it a try this evening and post back.

Thanks.

rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017
  4. rzn6jw Win User

Checking her MS account/devices, I see that her online device OS is Pro, v 10.0.16299.15 but her Control Panel/System displays Home. So, where can I find the correct version?

Here's some info that might help:

Can't activate windows after clean install [​IMG]

Also, I'm being led to believe that I can't actually upgrade from the free Home 32bit to the free (.iso) Pro 64bit, since that is a completely different OS that what was free in the first place. Is that right? If so, I'll have to buy the Pro version.

rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    No, bitness does not matter.

Take the 64bit Windows 10 media, boot it, delete all partitions on the drive then click next and let the installer create what it needs. Select Windows 10 Pro and off you go.
    It's that simple.

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2017
  6. rzn6jw Win User
    Great. Thanks for all your help!!!!!

rzn6jw, Dec 15, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    But you still need a key for W10 Pro, either use the W7 Pro key or you`ll have to buy one.

Your wife`s install is W10 Home, so you need a key for W10 Pro, period.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't activate windows after clean install - Similar Threads - Can't activate clean

2. Windows 10 Activation after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Activation after clean install: Hi, i've just done a clean install of Windows 10, and im using the old key that i had but now it's giving me error code 0x803f7001. According to the FAQ it means that the key doesnt exist but that's weird because it did activate before? Not sure how i can solve this....
  3. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  4. Can't activate Windows 10 after clean install

Can't activate Windows 10 after clean install: Greetings, my laptop came today with "Windows 10 Single Language" pre-installed and I connected my Microsoft Account. Windows were activated. I also saved the product key. The PC has 2 drives. One of them is an SSD that was empty. I did a clean install of "Windows 10...
  5. Can't Activate windows 10 pro after a clean install

Can't Activate windows 10 pro after a clean install: I am not able to activate my windows 10 pr0 using my product key earlier I used to have windows 10 home but now I changed to pro and now I couldn't activate it...
  6. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  7. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  8. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  9. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  10. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...