Windows 10: Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard

Discus and support Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am getting told I need to activate windows, I go to settings and it says to click troubleshoot which I do, I get two options either "click here to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RoadTheExile, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard

I am getting told I need to activate windows, I go to settings and it says to click troubleshoot which I do, I get two options either "click here to buy new windows 10 key" or "I changed hardware recently" I click the latter which opens up a new window with a loading thing, then eventually that just disappears for no reason. Is there any chance I'll be able to get this sorted out without talking to someone? I hate talking to techs on the phone and I can't get windows to give me a text chat option.

:)

RoadTheExile, Feb 11, 2020

2. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Feb 11, 2020
  3. mshimala Win User
    Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard

Choice of memory and motherboard... a bit stuck...

No one who got some suggestions on this one, huh?

I've found out that the Asus M3A78-T needs to be flashed, so then that motherboard is excluded from my list. Which motherboard and memory should I then go for? Any suggestions?

minstreless, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard

1. Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard - Similar Threads - Can't activate Motherboard

2. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  3. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  4. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New motherboard, can't activate

New motherboard, can't activate: Hi there, a number of years ago I received a free version of Windows 7 Pro from university. I still have the receipt email but the product key is behind a link which is no longer active. I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10 a few years back and everything was...
  6. I can't activate windows after installing it on new motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't activate windows after installing it on new motherboard: I swapped my motherboard and i can't activate windows because it's linked digitally to my microsoft account.I'm always getting error 0x8007232B and when i run troubleshoot i get another error ,,We can't activate your copy of windows,make sure you are connected to the internet...
  7. Installed New Motherboard can't Activate Windows

Installed New Motherboard can't Activate Windows: I have recently upgraded motherboards on my PC that was purchased in 2013 with Windows preinstalled. I am getting an message that my Windows is not active. I do have a retail version of Windows. I ran the widows script that I have seen in previous post so I can see all my...
  8. Can't activate win10 after installing new motherboard

Can't activate win10 after installing new motherboard: Hi I've tried to follow all the steps offered by Microsoft's help section but it doesn't seem to work for me. I bought a new Motherboard which I installed and now I can't activate my Windows 10 again. I updated to Win10 quite a while ago, from win7 or 8. I also have a...
  9. Windows Activation after new motherboard

Windows Activation after new motherboard: Recently upgraded my gaming rig with a new motherboard and CPU. All was good for about 5 hours of gaming and browsing, when all of a sudden, I got the "Activate Windows" message pinned in the bottom right of my screen. I tried to activate via "I've upgraded my pc components"...
  10. New motherboard can't activate windows 10

New motherboard can't activate windows 10: I just changed my motherboard and I am unable to activate Windows 10 Pro on it. The license is digitally linked to my Microsoft account. When I run the activation troubleshooter, the pc shows up. I check that this is the device and click activate. It come back with this error...