Windows 10: Can't activate windows10pro after upgrading the motherboard.

Discus and support Can't activate windows10pro after upgrading the motherboard. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a problem activating windows when i switched my motherboard, processor and ram memory. I decided to upgrade my hardware and i was using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JavierNH, Feb 10, 2019.

1. JavierNH Win User

Can't activate windows10pro after upgrading the motherboard.

I have a problem activating windows when i switched my motherboard, processor and ram memory.
    I decided to upgrade my hardware and i was using windows7, for some reason my mouse and keyboard wasn't working after bios in the new motherboard.
    Windows7 didn't support usb 3.0 so i was forced to upgrade to windows10pro, coudn't do it with the new motherboard because my mouse and keyboard didn't work.
    I switched back to my old motherboard to be able to use the usb devices and do the upgrade.
    I purchased and installed windows10pro in my old motherboard(asus z77) to have support for usb3.0 and be able to use the new motherboard(gigabyte aorus pro wifi).
    I activated windows10pro with the key provided with the purchase, the price was 259€ that i found a bit excessive but i had to do it to have something as good as windows7.
    When i had everything set up with the OS in the old motherboard i switched to my new more powerful hardware and then the surprise got me.
    I had a message that my windows10pro wasn't activated, i used the key code from the purchase and said it wasn't valid.
    I didn't understand why it needed to be activated again when i activated already, isn't this supposed to be to activate the OS in the SSD? If so i already did it.
    I saw that there was the option to troubleshoot and to put that i had a hardware change but it still didn't work, it shows the code 0xC004C008.
    I tried everything from logging in to all my accounts, do it by phone with the automatic system, nothing helps and i don't feel like wasting another 259€ again.
    Please help.

:)

JavierNH, Feb 10, 2019

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 10, 2019
  3. mshimala Win User
    Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Feb 10, 2019
  4. Can't activate windows10pro after upgrading the motherboard.

Activate

Good day!!! I was licensed Win7 prof 64 bit MSDN . Later upgraded to Windows10pro. Due to the fact that I burned the motherboard, I had to make her a replacement, because of this was lost activation Windows10pro. when contacting the technical support service
    of Russia was denied extradition of a key, said that it is necessary again to put Win7 prof 64 bit MSDN in the future to upgrade to Windows10pro, although the forum Microsoft has been written that in this case, tech support should help to restore the activation.
    Please help to activate the system, because the installation takes a very long time. Thank you.

Сергей Врагов, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

Can't activate windows10pro after upgrading the motherboard.

1. Can't activate windows10pro after upgrading the motherboard. - Similar Threads - Can't activate windows10pro

2. Can't activate product key after Motherboard upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate product key after Motherboard upgrade.: So I have this issue, I have a system with an HDD and SSD. I used to run windows on the HDD but yesterday I also installed it on my SSD so I run 2 systems, this all worked fine, the product key worked. Then today I upgraded my Motherboard and CPU, but now Windows asked me to...
  3. Can't activate product key after Motherboard upgrade.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate product key after Motherboard upgrade.: So I have this issue, I have a system with an HDD and SSD. I used to run windows on the HDD but yesterday I also installed it on my SSD so I run 2 systems, this all worked fine, the product key worked. Then today I upgraded my Motherboard and CPU, but now Windows asked me to...
  4. Can't activate product key after Motherboard upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade

Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade: Previously I used win 10 with digital licences with Microsoft account added , now I upgrade motherboard and using same Microsoft account with is linked to window digital license, but trouble shooting not activating win 10...
  6. Activation failed after upgrading the motherboard.

Activation failed after upgrading the motherboard.: This is a long story. My son upgraded his motherboard to a new one. So I decided to use his motherboard for one of the older computer that has a Windows 10 Professional running on it and activated. After installing the motherboard, I tried to re-activated the license for...
  7. Windows10Pro slow in the benchmark after memory upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows10Pro slow in the benchmark after memory upgrade: The HP-Pavilion-dv6 4Gb standard memory was upgraded to 8Gb: [ATTACH] This case however it looks that the laptop speed (in Geekbench5-test) was reduced: [ATTACH] Here it seems windows64 single core went down to 428 from 717 and multicore down to 1685 from 2120, while in...
  8. Activating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Activating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Having some trouble activating windows 10 after installing a new motherboard. Since I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 awhile back, I have a digital license instead of a product key. I know normally having an OEM version wouldn't allow me to have windows 10 between...
  9. Windows Activation after motherboard upgrade

Windows Activation after motherboard upgrade: Hello, when i bought my pc i bought a physical windows key. After some time it disappeared and i had to chat with support for them to give me another because the key randomly vanished. Now i changed my motherboard and it says i need to activate my windows. I've tried...
  10. Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade: Hi, I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows." I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows...