Windows 10: Can't add any user accounts and want to change "Owner" to my usual account name

Discus and support Can't add any user accounts and want to change "Owner" to my usual account name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I bought a new HP laptop. I have an out-of-warranty Dell with a fairly new 2TB hard drive so I had Geek Squad put that drive in the new HP after wiping... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by DMarvin54, Mar 17, 2019.

1. DMarvin54 Win User

Can't add any user accounts and want to change "Owner" to my usual account name

I bought a new HP laptop. I have an out-of-warranty Dell with a fairly new 2TB hard drive so I had Geek Squad put that drive in the new HP after wiping it, etc. and installing Windows 10 Pro anew. I would have done this myself but would have voided the warranty on my new HP.

The technician used "Owner" as the username. Now I can't get anything from my backups, other drives, etc, and it's driving me nuts. After searching for answers, the consistent solution appears to create another user and make the necessary adjustments to that account so I can then delete the owner account. Unfortunately when I try to do this, the Microsoft Account window opens as a gray box, then abruptly closes. Some of the other Windows tools are doing the same thing. I tried repairing the install but it did nothing more than chew up another few hours of my day.

Has anyone run into this problem and figured out how to fix it. The relatively useless Agent crashes as well. I really prefer not to wipe the drive again and start from scratch but right now that appears to be my best option at this point.

:)

DMarvin54, Mar 17, 2019
  2. Jessen P Win User

Query about changing the User Accounts name

Hi Jerry,

Perform the steps mentioned below to change the user account name.

• Sign in to the Your info page on the Microsoft account website.

• Under your name, select Edit name.
      If there’s no name listed yet, select Add name.
    • Edit or add the name you want, then choose Save.
      Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.

Please revert if you still cannot change the user account name.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Mar 17, 2019
  3. Change local user account name in Windows 10

Hello!

I've just reinstalled Win10 and created a second account for my wife. Unfortunately, the login names is the mail she's registered to Microsoft.

How can I change the name.

I've read an answer to same question suggesting following:

"

Follow the steps provided below to change the username and check.

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Under view, select large icons.
    • Go to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account

"

I don't have that option in Win10.

Thanks for assistance

MichaelBar, Mar 17, 2019
  4. C0zzie Win User

How to change admin user account name?

Ah so just ignore the 'Brink' and use the 'Brink2' as the example

And step 1 and 2, I was confused at that part also.
    For example, my user account is called for e.g 'wizzle'
    If I want to change the name to 'wizzle2', and by following steps 1 and 2;
    -I sign out of my MS account (step 1)...and then sign in?

I understand the steps 3 onwards but steps 1 and 2 with the sign out/in was confusing :?

C0zzie, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't add any user accounts and want to change "Owner" to my usual account name - Similar Threads - Can't add user

2. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  4. The Owner name on my OneDrive account is incorret

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Owner name on my OneDrive account is incorret: HelloFirst let me state, I do not have a Microsoft 365 account. I have never had a one. I have always used my husbands computer. No reason to pay for two subscriptions. I set up a OneDrive account a few months back but got frustrated figuring out how to use it so I continued...
  5. Changing names of user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing names of user accounts: Is it OK to change the name of a user in the ‘users’ section of File Explorer inside This PC/Windows? I have one listed as ‘new user’ and would rather give it a more meaningful name....
  6. Change name of user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change name of user account: I have an admin user account named "Admin". After I created it, I linked it with my Microsoft account which bears the name of "Shmuel". However, the system still calls the account "Admin". For instance, the path is C:\Users\Admin I want to change the name to "Shmuel", because...
  7. I want to change my Microsoft Account linked user account name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to change my Microsoft Account linked user account name: I got a new computer and I used a different Microsoft Account name than I wanted, weirdly, there was NO choose name option, I can't seem to change it. What can I do?...
  8. User Account Name Change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Name Change: I just got this computer last week, and the last letter of my name is missing. I dont have an option to change it in the Control Panel, nor can I rename the folder through my drive. Is there another option?...
  9. User Account Name Change

User Account Name Change: Final result of this whole process: JUST CREATE A NEW USERNAME AND START ALL OVER. Weird/odd things keep popping up. The sound issue, random program errors, and random instability with Windows (I clicked the wifi button in notifications to turn it off the other day to move...
  10. Change user account name?

Change user account name?: Having created a Msoft admin account in form, say, def7936@...., I then created a local account with admin powers, which I called Forename. However I see that all my local account documents are in C:\users\def79, an abbreviation of the Msoft version, not Forename, as desired....