Windows 10: Can't add folder to File History

Discus and support Can't add folder to File History in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm in Backup options of File History 1. Press + Add folder 2. Choose a folder with Google Drive on disk J 3. Nothing happens - no errors, no logs,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sergey Polyakov, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Can't add folder to File History

I'm in Backup options of File History
    1. Press + Add folder
    2. Choose a folder with Google Drive on disk J
    3. Nothing happens - no errors, no logs, just nothing

This problem in Feedback Hub https://aka.ms/AA8mqq8

Should I search for another backup solution on Windows 10?
    No reaction in Feedback Hub.

:)

Sergey Polyakov, Jun 10, 2020

2. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Jun 15, 2020
  3. ALN
    ALN Win User
    How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

4. ALN
    ALN Win User

Can't add folder to File History

How to remove folders from File History

That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?

Thema:

Can't add folder to File History

1. Can't add folder to File History - Similar Threads - Can't add folder

2. Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11: I would like to use File History in Windows 11. But I notice that it can only backup folders in Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites. However, I also want to backup folders in D drive. Is there any way to add those folders?...
  3. Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11: I would like to use File History in Windows 11. But I notice that it can only backup folders in Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites. However, I also want to backup folders in D drive. Is there any way to add those folders?...
  4. File history folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  5. File history folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  6. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  7. How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup: I don't need a complete backup of my hard drive...just specific files, etc. - like my Documents, Pictures, etc....any way to do this with the "File History" backup option?...
  8. How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?: I can't backup any specific folders in my Documents folder unless the Documents folder itself is backed up. Otherwise trying to add them does nothing. Adding the Documents folder to the backup list causes my other folders to appear on the list. Why is this? Am I expected to...
  9. Can't add folder in Windows 10 file history - problem 0x80070032

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't add folder in Windows 10 file history - problem 0x80070032: So I have file history on and working. If I enter file history options via Start menu/settings/update & security/backup/more options/ there is a list of folders under "back up these folders" all prefixed c:\users"myname" Above this is an "add a folder" option. When I click...
  10. Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Folders to be Backed Up by File History in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back...