Windows 10: Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive

Discus and support Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Tried doing some troubleshoot but won't allow me due to all permissions gone. [IMG]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mine Manahan, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive

Tried doing some troubleshoot but won't allow me due to all permissions gone.

Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive [​IMG]

:)

Mine Manahan, Mar 6, 2021

2. Windows 10 c: drive not accessable

I was trying to solve a problem I had with accessing several folders, following the steps on a web site, and

I got a message that the owner of the C; drive was being erased!

Since then I have no access to the c: drive, I keep getting "access denied", "you don't have the proper permissions", "you don't have read permission", and when I finally got into Safe Mode and clicked on C:/properties/security, it said "Owner: Unable to
    display current owner".

I've tried more methods than I want to list trying to get ownership of the C: drive and set permissions back where they belong.

Where is the c: drive owner entered? Would I need to RegEdit? If so, please provide step by step because all I know about RegEdit is that it's dangerous to mess with.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Ahlberg

DaveAhlberg, Mar 6, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Default drive permissions

Hi Jortus

If you need to reset default permissions on that drive, here are the steps:

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

Form the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command into Command Prompt and press Enter

icacls "D:\" /t /q /c /reset

DaveM121, Mar 6, 2021
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive

Editing permissions

Hi ejmw,

Issues that you experience when you try to access files and folders may be related to permissions. Permissions are rules that determine whether you can access or change files and folders. To check permissions on a file or a folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Tap or click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties
    • Tap or click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.
    • Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Important: You must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Mar 6, 2021
Thema:

Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive

1. Can't add or edit permission access on C Drive - Similar Threads - Can't add edit

2. Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized: Hi, On start up i get a message that an unnamed file cannot be found. I cannot access my C: drive, where I also have Windows installed. Upon clicking the drive on Explorer I receive an "access denied" notification. I am unable to change the ownership of the file as well,...
  3. Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't access C: Drive and admin permission is not recognized: Hi, On start up i get a message that an unnamed file cannot be accessed. I cannot access my C: drive, where I also have Windows installed. Upon clicking the drive on Explorer I receive an "access denied" notification. I am unable to change the ownership of the file as...
  4. Can't bulk edit permissions for a folder on a usb drive.

Can't bulk edit permissions for a folder on a usb drive.: In the root folder of a usb drive I can access all the files, but files in a folder on the drive, I can't. I can adjust the security permissions one file at a time properties > security > add an owner but how do I apply that to the whole folder so the files inherit? I've...
  5. Permissions to access C: Folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Permissions to access C: Folder: I deleted all access rights to my C: Folder. Bad mistake. How do I get back to default access rights. Access to C: folder is denied. Going to Properties>Security requires read access to reach Edit, which I do not have. If I select Advanced it is unable to display current...
  6. C drive Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive Permissions: By default all my software and games are installed in C so My Documents/Videos/Pictures are the default save locations for respective software/game. After the latest Windows update, any game I playalready played before starts from the beginning and if i try to save the game...
  7. C drive permissions

C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  8. Drive access permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive access permissions: I get the message that I do not have permission to access D/System drive. The message says to go to the permissions security tab but I am unable to locate it. Help required please....
  9. Permission to access the drive.

Permission to access the drive.: Dear Community, I wanted to change the permission status of the drive for a user account, instead, I changed for the administrative account. Just need to reactive the account. Please help me to activate it, as I go for the settings I see a message as below. I don't...
  10. Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive

Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive: Hey, just trying to allow my applications to write in certain files, so i changed some security settings, and then clicked apply and boof, it gives me this... how tf is it DENYING Me Access!?? Is windows stupid? or am i not really administrator... this is killing me, and my...