Windows 10: Can't add power plans

Discus and support Can't add power plans in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone, My new-ish Dell G5 15 5590 i7-9750H laptop (OS build 19042.572) has been a bit of a pain for me in several minor areas, one of them being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AshleyJT, Oct 31, 2020.

1. AshleyJT Win User

Can't add power plans

Hi everyone,

My new-ish Dell G5 15 5590 i7-9750H laptop (OS build 19042.572) has been a bit of a pain for me in several minor areas, one of them being power plans.

I want to add the High Performance power plan, but I can't do it...I've tried following instructions to add it using a CMD prompt instruction, and also importing a power plan file; in both cases it seems to have been successful, but when I look in the power options (both before and after rebooting), it still only shows Balanced.

I've tried doing a clean install of Windows in case it helps with this and other issues, but it's made no difference.

I noticed one user with this issue said that disabling Modern Standby allowed them to then add power plans, but I've trawled through forums and can only find one method people give for that (ignoring past solutions from previous years which no longer work), and this one method sounds risky:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...abling_modern/

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Ashley

:)

AshleyJT, Oct 31, 2020
  2. John Fer Win User

Power plan?

Upon checking, it seems that there's nothing wrong with your system. It is usual that you have to double-click your mouse before your monitor wakes up.

For the meantime, we suggest changing the power plan by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type in Power Settings.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Additional power settings.
    • Select High performance.

After changing the power plan, we suggest that you monitor the changes made and check if that will work for you.

Get back to us if you need further help.

John Fer, Oct 31, 2020
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Power plans automatically changing

Hi Jonah,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with power plans.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect Power settings. Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

Let’s run the power troubleshooter and check if that helps.

a. Press Windows key on the keyboard.

b. In the search box, type Troubleshooting and press
    Enter.

c. Click on ‘System and Security’ and click on ‘Power’ click on next to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    restore the power plans to default and check if it helps.

Step 1: Reset and restore the power plans to default:

• Right-click on
      Start button
      and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
      and hit Enter.

• Exit command prompt.
    Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed.

Step 2:

Once the power plan is reset to default, you may create a
    new power plan
    and customize the same according to your needs.

Refer to the link:

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 31, 2020
  4. Karla Alm Win User

Can't add power plans

How do I delete a power plan?

Hi Harold,

For step by step instructions on how to delete a power plan, follow these:

• Click Start menu.
    • Type Power Options.
    • Click Show additional plans.
    • Choose an additional plan then click Change plan settings.
    • Select Cancel. (Customized power plan will be move to the additional plans.)
    • Click Change plan settings beside your customized power plan.
    • You will see the option Delete this plan in the Edit Plan Settings.
    • Select OK to confirm the deletion.

Should you need further help, let us know.

Thanks.

Karla Alm, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

Can't add power plans

1. Can't add power plans - Similar Threads - Can't add power

2. Cant add/remove power plans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant add/remove power plans: Hello everybody,I have already tried everything to get my power plans on Windows 10, but I only have access to the balanced one which is kinda annoying.I tried: 1. Updating and deleting drivers2. Updating Windows3. Using CMD and Shell to restore powerschemes4. Using CMD to...
  3. Cant add/remove power plans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant add/remove power plans: Hello everybody,I have already tried everything to get my power plans on Windows 10, but I only have access to the balanced one which is kinda annoying.I tried: 1. Updating and deleting drivers2. Updating Windows3. Using CMD and Shell to restore powerschemes4. Using CMD to...
  4. Cant add/remove power plans

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how to add Ultimate performance power plan?

how to add Ultimate performance power plan?: Hello Microsoft, I would love to get some help. I bought a new PC, a high end one, and I want to play on Ultimate performance power plan but it didn't show up. I tried to add it using the commad prompt and the method where I import it as a file but it didn't work so please...
  6. Can't Change the Power Plan

Can't Change the Power Plan: Hi, as seen in the two pictures below, I can't change the current power settings, as the apply button is always grayed out. I tried it by uninstalling the chipset drivers' power plan, I can't make changes between windows settings either. After certain research I also reset...
  7. Can't Change the Power Plan

Can't Change the Power Plan: Hi, as seen in the two pictures below, I can't change the current power settings, as the apply button is always grayed out. I tried it by uninstalling the chipset drivers' power plan, I can't make changes between windows settings either. After certain research I also reset...
  8. Can't Change the Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Can't add any power plan except for balanced

Can't add any power plan except for balanced: Hi, I just got my new laptop, it had a preinstalled application called "Lenovo Vantage" which is a utility program for Lenovo laptops. I uninstalled the "Lenovo vantage" Because I didn't really need it and I realized that I can't add any other power plans except for...
  10. Add Power Plans to Dell Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add Power Plans to Dell Laptop: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5577 model with Win 10 Home. It only has one Power Plan, Balanced. My desktop (home built) has High Performance. Is there a way to get it on Win 10 Home? Or do I have to create my own power plan? I use the Laptop for my recording studio and want...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cant import power plan