Windows 10: Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution

Discus and support Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm upgraded my Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit operating system to version 2004 (build 19041.546). After upgrading, I found that some of the programs that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bisclavret, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution

I'm upgraded my Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit operating system to version 2004 (build 19041.546).

After upgrading, I found that some of the programs that I use on a regular basis were no longer in the "Open with..." list in the context (right click) menu. Also, the ability to browse my computer and choose the missing programs' executable files is no longer available in the "Open with..." menu.

I read every post in every forum I could find related to the problem, but none of the solutions worked, not even registry edits.

Finally, out of frustration, I tinkered with the system. Finally, I found a solution that worked for me, and hopefully it will work for others who are experiencing a similar problem.

My solution was simple and worked every time for me.
    Here is how to add the program of your choice to the "Open With..." menu:

1. Open the app or software program that you wish to add to the "Open with" menu;
    2. Open File Explorer;
    3. In File Explorer, locate a file associated with the program that you wish to add to the "Open with" menu;
    4. Left click on the file you wish to open, hold down the left mouse button , drag the file to the software program you wish to add, and release the mouse button.
    5. After the file opens in the program you're adding to the "Open with" menu, save the file as is, by clicking "Save" in the "File" menu on the menu bar, making no changes to the file;
    6. After saving the file, close it;
    7. After closing the file, close the software;
    8. In File Explorer, right click the file that you opened or another file with the same file extension (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc.);
    9. The "Open with" menu should now have in its list of options the name of the software program that you used to open, save, and close the file.
    10. Repeat this "open, save, close, and check" method for each of the file extensions that the program will open and/or edit.

This method should permanently add the name of the The program software s Open with.

:)

Bisclavret, Oct 13, 2020

2. Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution

I'm upgraded my Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit operating system to version 2004 (build 19041.546).

After upgrading, I found that some of the programs that I use on a regular basis were no longer in the "Open with..." list in the context (right click) menu. Also, the ability to browse my computer and choose the missing programs' executable files is no longer available in the "Open with..." menu.

I read every post in every forum I could find related to the problem, but none of the solutions worked, not even registry edits.

Finally, out of frustration, I tinkered with the system. Finally, I found a solution that worked for me, and hopefully it will work for others who are experiencing a similar problem.

My solution was simple and worked every time for me.
    Here is how to add the program of your choice to the "Open With..." menu:

1. Open the app or software program that you wish to add to the "Open with" menu;
    2. Open File Explorer;
    3. In File Explorer, locate a file associated with the program that you wish to add to the "Open with" menu;
    4. Left click on the file you wish to open, hold down the left mouse button , drag the file to the software program you wish to add, and release the mouse button.
    5. After the file opens in the program you're adding to the "Open with" menu, save the file as is, by clicking "Save" in the "File" menu on the menu bar, making no changes to the file;
    6. After saving the file, close it;
    7. After closing the file, close the software;
    8. In File Explorer, right click the file that you opened or another file with the same file extension (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc.);
    9. The "Open with" menu should now have in its list of options the name of the software program that you used to open, save, and close the file.
    10. Repeat this "open, save, close, and check" method for each of the file extensions that the program will open and/or edit.

This method should permanently add the name of the The program software s Open with.

Bisclavret, Oct 13, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Yep, I see the same.

I tried adding Paint to Open With for txt. That also appeared in the More Options list.

I suspect it's to do with what the programs are registered to handle. The Open With list is constructed form a number of sources e.g. at least these:

Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution [​IMG]

The first of those corresponds to Snip & Sketch (simply search and find refs to the Appx string)

dalchina, Oct 13, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution

1. Can't Add Programs Back to "Open with..." Menu; with One Solution - Similar Threads - Can't Add Programs

2. A problem with "Open" menu context - affects one particular program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A problem with "Open" menu context - affects one particular program: I made a mistake of using a program to clean up my system which I suspect has caused me the problem that I describe below and now I'm faced with a rather weird situation. One particular program will not open by right clicking on it in Windows Explorer and selecting "Open" or...
  3. A problem with "Open" menu context - affects one particular program

in Windows 10 Support
    A problem with "Open" menu context - affects one particular program: I made a mistake of using a program to clean up my system which I suspect has caused me the problem that I describe below and now I'm faced with a rather weird situation. One particular program will not open by right clicking on it in Windows Explorer and selecting "Open" or...
  4. One Particular Program Will Not Open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    One Particular Program Will Not Open: I recently attempted to install a Japanese game/visual novel on my computer, which has Windows 10. I think I was able to install it as a shortcut was created, as was a folder in Programs with an application file. I had my region set to Japan at the time. The version of the...
  5. How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Add a Program to "Open With"-Menu in Windows 10: If I right-click on a file in the explorer windows, I get an menu including the "Open with"-option. Some standard programs are listed there. If i click "Choose another app", I will find the one I need. However, the Open With menu doesn't remember it for the future - I always...
  6. SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]

in Windows 10 Customization
    SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]: PROBLEM STATEMENT: All of the sudden one day the Start Menu in Win 10 stopped working, clicking the button or pressing the Win key had no effect. After spending hours exploring all manner of weird and wonderful *hacks* on the Internets to no effect I have stumbled across...
  7. Can't open more than one window of any program

Can't open more than one window of any program: When you right click (or left click and drag up) an app in the taskbar it brings up a menu. The bare minimum this menu displays for any app is: an option to pin/unpin from taskbar, an option to open a window of that app, and (if its running) a close button. Recently I have...
  8. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

Can't add shortcuts to start menu: I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties. [img] [img] 10986
  9. Can't open programs from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open programs from the start menu: Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem...
  10. Is there a way to add the "Open command prompt" back tin the file Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to add the "Open command prompt" back tin the file Menu: After the creator's update they removed the Open command prompt under file in the file explorer. Is there a way to add it back? 83183