Windows 10: Can't add trusted locations to protected view

Discus and support Can't add trusted locations to protected view in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have both Word 2003 & Word 2016 & use the former almost exclusively. I have a macros.dot that contains almost all my macros & have a copy in both the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by phrab, Nov 16, 2020.

1. phrab Win User

Can't add trusted locations to protected view

I have both Word 2003 & Word 2016 & use the former almost exclusively. I have a macros.dot that contains almost all my macros & have a copy in both the Word 2003 startup & Word 2016 startup.

I can open macros.dot from within either version of Word in case I want to modify the template. I can also open the macros.dot from the Word 2016 startup by right clicking & choosing Open.

However, if I try to open the macros.dot in the Wrod 2003 startup folder, Word 2016 opens & I get a message that it can only be opened in protected view & can't be edited. I went to the Trust Center & looked at Trusted Locations. I wanted to add the Word 2003 startup folder. However, when I click "Add new location...", it only let's me modify the existing locations that are shown below. It doesn't let me add anything.

I dont' know if it's related to the latest MS update I installed:

Can't add trusted locations to protected view [​IMG]

This is the image I get for the Trust Center which won't let me add a location:

Can't add trusted locations to protected view [​IMG]

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I swear that before, all it would do is modify the location, even if I tried to add one. However, after rebooting (which I had done before) & trying to add a location, it now allowed me to add one. So I'm going to close this & mark it solved.

:)

phrab, Nov 16, 2020

2. Microsoft Word (Protected View) has stopped working.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The problem is the restricted view that Office places on documents that it detects were downloaded from the Internet.

Follow the steps below to fix it.

• In the Office product, go to File – Options.
    • Next go to Trust Center and then tap or click the Trust Center Settings… button
    • Once on the Settings page for the Trust Center, go to
      Protected View
      and then uncheck (disable) the Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet option.
    best protect yourself, you should probably consider going through the process of disabling and re- enabling for each and every file you need to download and open from the Internet. And, only open those files that you deem trustworthy.

Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Knoxx29 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Paulo GM Win User

I cannot open a Word document attached to any email that I receive

Hi BarryCockayne, I am Paulo. I'm an Independent Advisor and an individual like you inclined to help.

Try these steps and check if t can solve the issue.

1. Open Microsoft Word

2. Click File then choose Options

3. Click Trust Center then Trust Center Settings

4. On the Protected View tab, uncheck the following boxes:

Enable protected view for files originating from the internet

Enable protected view for files located in potentially unsafe locations

Enable protected view for outlook attachments

I hope this helps.

Paulo GM, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't add trusted locations to protected view - Similar Threads - Can't add trusted

2. Subfolders in trusted sites and trusted locations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Subfolders in trusted sites and trusted locations: I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this already, but not 100% sure. If I put a UNC name into trusted sites such as file:///\\<Server_IP or ServerName> OR file://<Server_IP or ServerName>then all the shares and subfolders on that server are trusted as well, correct? If no, then...
  3. Subfolders in trusted sites and trusted locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Subfolders in trusted sites and trusted locations: I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this already, but not 100% sure. If I put a UNC name into trusted sites such as file:///\\<Server_IP or ServerName> OR file://<Server_IP or ServerName>then all the shares and subfolders on that server are trusted as well, correct? If no, then...
  4. Subfolders in trusted sites and trusted locations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Protected content can't be viewed on this device."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Protected content can't be viewed on this device.": Hello, I am trying to use my laptop windows 11 as a 2nd monitor for my pc windows 10. Each time I try to wirelessly connect, it gives me that message on my laptop. I have tried the firewall solutions, yet it didn't work. One problem could've been that I can't find the...
  6. "Protected content can't be viewed on this device."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Protected content can't be viewed on this device.": Hello, I am trying to use my laptop windows 11 as a 2nd monitor for my pc windows 10. Each time I try to wirelessly connect, it gives me that message on my laptop. I have tried the firewall solutions, yet it didn't work. One problem could've been that I can't find the...
  7. Add a network location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add a network location: I have two Win 10 Pro 1909 computers on same LAN and some tasks I do on one and others on the second. Occasionally, I need to pull files from one to the other but not often. So I decided to add a specific folder on one using "Add a network location". Got the IP address...
  8. Word - Protected View?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word - Protected View?: I got a ".doc" file from a friend. I can open it in MSWord (Office 365) but its in Protected View because of my settings? I have default settings. I took ownership and that didn't help. I also have Libre Office and was able to print it with Libre Office. Here is what I get....
  9. Protected View Settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Protected View Settings?: When I create a Word document on one PC (saving it to my Network Attached Storage), then open it on a different PC, I get this protected view option. Here's a pic. [ATTACH] To disable this, there's a setting to uncheck. When I click on "Be careful-files from the internet...
  10. Publisher not Trusted, App blocked for 'protection'

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Publisher not Trusted, App blocked for 'protection': Hi all. I upgraded from 7 to 10 over the weekend. Few minor issues with graphics drivers, but everything was working smoothly. When I went to open my VPN (Torguard), I received a UAC error message, stating that the app had been blocked for my protection, citing an...