Windows 10: Can't arrange folders by date

Discus and support Can't arrange folders by date in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This seems like an easy one at first but not for me. I get play memories to download my photo's from my camera to the computer and it stores them all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sea skimmer, May 3, 2017.

1. Can't arrange folders by date

This seems like an easy one at first but not for me.
    I get play memories to download my photo's from my camera to the computer and it stores them all in a folder called camera photos. When looking at the sperate folders arranged by the date they are all out of order. I have gone to sort by and tried by date, date created, date modified and so on but the folders will not go in the order I want them. Example: 20 jan 2016...20 feb 2016....19 may 2017....23 june 2017 and so on..

Here are my folders and if you look they are all out of order.

Can't arrange folders by date [​IMG]

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

thanks.

:)

sea skimmer, May 3, 2017
  2. bal39 Win User

Still cannot sort pictures by actual date!

I have found that when the pictures are copied to the library you can arrange them by exact date in the library. You must R. Click in a blank space where the pictures are and choose "Arrange by" >Day. But you cannot arrange them by the exact date from the
    default pictures folder in my PC. However, in some of the pictures folders in pictures library they will not arrange by date. I have no idea why.

Also, in the default pictures folder in PC, there is not even an option to "Arrange by" when you R. click in the blank space where the pictures are located

bal39, May 3, 2017
  3. Photos Windows 10

I uploaded photos from my galaxy s5. Photos are present but not not in folder that they are in my phone. They are listed by the dates that they were taken on the computer.

My question is, is there a way to get the photos arranged back into their folders instead of being arranged by dates?

Thank you in advance.

clayatmillerOE, May 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't arrange folders by date

I don't think there's a way to recognise the name as a date, if that's what you're hoping to achieve.

Sorting by date created will look for the creation date- which may not be the same as the name. Or is the creation date of each folder actually the same as its name?

Sorting by name will do this.

dalchina, May 3, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Here I've set the creation data of one folder to match its name, and sorted the folders as you show (except it's ascending rather than descending)

If you want to set the creation date of your folders, you can use this free utility:

Home | Attribute Changer

There are others. But for a lot of folders, could be a bit tiresome.

dalchina, May 3, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Another approach would be to add a Comment to each folder, and sort by Comments

To do this, you can use a utility called StyleFolder (free).

dalchina, May 3, 2017
  7. I was just wondering why its starts with say wed 12 April 2017 then march then April again? Shouldn't all the dates with April in them be together so it's in sequence like March, April, May and so on if they are the same year?

sea skimmer, May 3, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

When I really need folders or file names to be in date order (eg. my backups) I give them names including the date that will the suit windows' sort order. Year first, them Month (in figures) then Day: yyyy-mm-dd. Does 'PlayMemories Home' have an option to choose the format of the folder names?

Bree, May 3, 2017
  9. I will have to have a look.

sea skimmer, May 3, 2017
  10. BulkFileChanger (free) from Nirsoft will also change attributes, it has drag and drop feature so bulk changing is easy peasy
    BulkFileChanger: Change date/time/attributes of multiple files

*Ditto Year Month Day with leading zero is the way to go EG: 2017-05-06
    Also if you want to copy to another OS or send to friends etc there is no need to work out the formats just sort by name

FrillyBits, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't arrange folders by date - Similar Threads - Can't arrange folders

2. How to arrange desktop icons by date installed.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to arrange desktop icons by date installed.: I like to have everything in chronological order on my desktop and want to sort by date. (Not date modified.) can someone please help me? submitted by /u/SpongeOde [link] [comments]...
  3. Can you auto arrange a file list (in a folder) by date modified?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you auto arrange a file list (in a folder) by date modified?: I often have to edit files within a folder and the simplest way for me to establish my progress is by looking at the date modified. IIRC, in the past I was able (either in Win 7 or perhaps an earlier iteration of Win 10) to have the list of files arranged by date...
  4. Arranging files in order in a Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Arranging files in order in a Folder: Hello, On WIndows 10 I am trying to send a manuscript to a publisher. I have a folder already on the desktop and my word documents 30 of them that must be shown in the correct order that I have copied them into the Folder. I tried this yesterday but on the 4th attempt of...
  5. Disabling auto arrange in folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling auto arrange in folders: When is Microsoft going to let its users disable auto arrange in folders? I am not talking about the desktop here. All my files etc. that are in Folders are being aligned automatically and I want to move them around freely wherever I want. I could do this in Windows XP...
  6. Help with arranging documents in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with arranging documents in a folder: Hello, I have a few folders on my computer that I want to custom sort the word documents in them. I noticed there is a long list of different ways to sort documents in a folder, but I am not sure what most of them mean, or how to edit that option so they list the way I...
  7. Alphabetically arrange folder thumbnails?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alphabetically arrange folder thumbnails?: Anyone know of a setting/hack/freeware that will alphabetically arrange the folder thumbnails displayed on clickiing the FE icon? [img] I think they are currently arranged by order of opening. Sometimes I have 15-20 open and quickly locating the one I need can be...
  8. Windows Explorer folder arrangement

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer folder arrangement: Hi- I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and when I am viewing my photo library in Windows Explorer, I can no longer get the photos grouped by month. The "sort by" and "group by" menus are identical (name, date, type, size, ascending, descending, more) as opposed to how it was...
  9. Arrange the pinned Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Arrange the pinned Folders: Hello,This is a quick question here (thanks). I just wanna ask how can I arrange my selected folders when I right-click the "File Explorer" in the taskar of Win 10 Pro? I usually can arrange them in Win 8.1 Pro but in Win 10 I can't move them. Can they be moved like...
  10. Music folder 'arrange by' function

in Windows 10 Support
    Music folder 'arrange by' function: Hello, There is a great feature in win7 explorer that you can arrange your music in the music folder by a few options such as albums, genre and artist. There is a way to get it again in win10 explorer? Example: [img] 16322

Users found this page by searching for:

1. La Date De Tarange