Windows 10: Can't arrange two monitors the right way when only one has scaling

Discus and support Can't arrange two monitors the right way when only one has scaling in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 installed on a 2017 iMac. I've connected a second monitor to it that is not retina resolution. When both displays are set to a scale... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by guygizmo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. guygizmo Win User

Can't arrange two monitors the right way when only one has scaling

I have Windows 10 installed on a 2017 iMac. I've connected a second monitor to it that is not retina resolution. When both displays are set to a scale of 1.0 the "select and arrange displays" section looks like this:

Can't arrange two monitors the right way when only one has scaling [​IMG]

That's reasonable, as the resolution of the first monitor is much bigger than the second. However, the second monitor is physically only a few inches shorter than the iMac's monitor. So I set the scale on the iMac monitor to 2.5, which makes it so that elements between both monitors are about the same size.

However, after I did that, the "select and arrange displays" section still looks like this:

It didn't change! The second display should only be a little bit shorter than the first now. This makes it very awkward for me to move the cursor from one display to the other. I have to move the cursor into the lower right corner, and then it appears in a totally incongruous spot on the second display. It's very annoying!

Is there any way to fix this?

:)

guygizmo, Feb 13, 2018

2. In Display settings, changing the scale of a display does not change its relative size when arranging with other displays

I have Windows 10 installed on a 2017 iMac. I've connected a second monitor to it that is not retina resolution. When both displays are set to a scale of 1.0 the "select and arrange displays" section looks like this:

That's reasonable, as the logical area covered by the first monitor is much bigger than the second. However, the second monitor is physically only a few inches shorter than the iMac's monitor. So I set the scale on the iMac monitor to 2.5, which makes it
    so that elements between both monitors are about the same size.

However, after I did that, the "select and arrange displays" section still looks like this:

It didn't change! The second display should only be a little bit shorter than the first now. This makes it very awkward for me to move the cursor from one display to the other. I have to move the cursor into the lower right corner, and then it appears in
    a totally incongruous spot on the second display. It's very annoying!

Is there any way to fix this?

Brian Kendall, Feb 13, 2018
  3. jon_win10 Win User
    Automatically change display scaling when laptop docked/connected to an external monitor (win 10)

Hi. Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have a laptop which runs in QHD resolution. Because the screen is small I have to use 150% scaling so that I can see things clearly. I also have a docking station at work which is connected to a 27 inch
    QHD monitor. When im connected to the external monitor i need to have scaling at 100% or things look bad. I only mirror my laptop screen on the larger external monitor, so i am not using one screen as the primary/secondary. I know windows 10 has the ability
    to adjust scaling and other settings for each monitor, but when i look at the settings, my monitor is listed as "1/2", so I cant adjust settings for each monitor individually. I want to know if there is a way that my laptop can run in 150% scaling when it
    is disconnected from the external monitor, and automatically run in 100% scaling when it connects to the external monitor. Since both monitors are QHD, the only thing i need to change automatically is the scaling. Can this be done without having to change
    settings manually?

thanks!

jon_win10, Feb 13, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

CountMike, Feb 13, 2018
  5. guygizmo Win User
    I'm a bit confused as to why this is important. When arranging two or more displays, windows bases their relative size solely on their resolution. It doesn't seem to use any extra information provided by the graphics driver or the monitor's EDID (such as its physical dimensions).

The problem seems to be that when you turn on scaling, Windows will keep using the monitors' physical resolution when determining their relative size, even though the logical portion of the screen they now occupy is not determined by the resolution anymore. Basically, if I set one monitor to scale by 2.5, then its rectangle in the arrange area should be 2.5x smaller, or 40% of its original size.

This is something both macOS and Linux do automatically... but not Windows? Surely there's a way to fix this!

At the suggestion of someone from Microsoft's forum, I tried uninstalling my graphics driver and trying it with the default Windows graphics driver for my graphics card, but it has the same issue.

guygizmo, Feb 13, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    This is how it's for me, two 28" and one 21" 4:3, For middle one some drivers couldn't control size until I installed driver (simple .inf file) for it. GPU is AMD and also has own controls for them.

Although they are staggered in height I can move mouse pointer and windows only horizontally thru all of them.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't arrange two monitors the right way when only one has scaling - Similar Threads - Can't arrange monitors

2. Windows 11 Detecting two monitors as only one monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Detecting two monitors as only one monitor.: I recently updated my GPU drivers which reset my monitor settings. Both monitors are now mirrored, showing the same exact image on both including mouse movements, however when checking the display settings it refuses to detect more than one monitor. I have tried all of the...
  3. Windows 11 Detecting two monitors as only one monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Detecting two monitors as only one monitor.: I recently updated my GPU drivers which reset my monitor settings. Both monitors are now mirrored, showing the same exact image on both including mouse movements, however when checking the display settings it refuses to detect more than one monitor. I have tried all of the...
  4. Different Scaling on two monitors.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different Scaling on two monitors.: Hello, On my new Win11 laptop I am unable to set different scaling on my laptops auxiliary monitor. My laptop is 2560x1600 on a 16" monitor and my aux is 35" on 1980x1080.On 100% scaling, the laptop's test is minuscule almost unreadable, so i set it to 125%.Now, my 35" also...
  5. Different Scaling on two monitors.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different Scaling on two monitors.: Hello, On my new Win11 laptop I am unable to set different scaling on my laptops auxiliary monitor. My laptop is 2560x1600 on a 16" monitor and my aux is 35" on 1980x1080.On 100% scaling, the laptop's test is minuscule almost unreadable, so i set it to 125%.Now, my 35" also...
  6. Laptop will only detect one of two monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop will only detect one of two monitors: Hi! I added a third monitor today and it was recognized, but it caused my second monitor NOT to work. I'm on a Lenovo Thinkpad T430. The second monitor is a Samsung and the new monitor is from Lenovo. Samsung is connected via HDMI; the Lenovo is connected via a parallel...
  7. Is it possible to configure custom scaling on two monitors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to configure custom scaling on two monitors?: I have a 24 inch monitor connected to my laptop. It is possible to set the scaling on my laptop to 125% and the scaling on the external monitor to 100%. I would prefer the scaling on my laptop to be 117% instead of 125%. The problem is, as soon as I change the scaling factor...
  8. Two monitors but only one display works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two monitors but only one display works: I have two monitors displaying the Windows 10 screen and all of my shortcut buttons. I have gone through display settings and extending the displays. I have them set up in the right sequence. When I click on the 2nd monitor, everything appears on the 1st monitor. I...
  9. Shared Folders on two computers, only works one way

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Folders on two computers, only works one way: I have two computers on my home network (MSHOME), I'll call them 75 and 30 (last octet of the LAN IP). 30 is named NEW-PC and 75 is named HP-PC, 75 has the entire C: drive shared as HP-PC-C and 30 has the entire D: drive shared as New-PC-D. Both are setup the same way,...
  10. Best way to set monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to set monitor scaling: I have just bought the Acer Predator xb271hu monitor. It's resolution is much higher than the old one and its higher than my second monitor. I have tried using scaling to increase the text size as its a bit small for me. Unfortunately it changes the scaling on both...